Lost in Nightmares (RE5)

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Lost in Nightmares (RE5)

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 04, 2013 11:16 pm

So I got Lost in Nightmares today...it's what RE5 should've been. It showed me that Capcom still has it in them to make an awesome survival horror game. Here are my favorite aspects of it so far:

1.) That classic camera easter egg: Best. Idea. EVER!

2.) The lighting in this hallway Image is very similar to the lighting in the RE3.5 hallway Image

3.) You lose ALL of your items later on. Not even the classic RE's had that.

4.) One of the diaries had "itchy, tasty" in it. Fan-gasm.

If there's something to criticise about it, there's its length, which falls on the short side and any item-collection has been severly nerfed down to accomodate co-op. But those trade-offs don't stain the bigger experience that is Lost in Nightmares. LIN> RE Revelations for me
ProgenitorCastle

Re: Lost in Nightmares (RE5)

Postby Cyberote » May 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Itchy Tasty and Jill playing Moonlight Sonata to open a hidden doorway. Hell yeah!

I still would like to know what the hell Capcom was thinking. They hit the nail on the head with Lost in Nightmares, then they went on to make Revelations, which was along the same lines, then they made RE6. They had a pretty good streak for a while, then they ruined it. I just hope Revelations does well on consoles so they realize horror is what we want out of RE. If they stick with the action route, I'm expecting RE to turn into a stupid FPS game.
Cyberote

Postby IkariKH » May 05, 2013 7:39 pm

I think its pretty obvious. LiN and Rev were both basically test run side projects to see reactions towards that kinda gameplay in this gen.

RE6 itself was already in developmemt at the same time Rev was and they were still focused on action because again, the other two were still experiments without clear results yet.

Now with Rev being praised and 6 being trashed, so long as Rev HD sells well, theres a very high chance 7 will be more akin to that.

Though if RevHD doesnt sell well enough for Capcom to deem it a success, it will be very interesting to see where the hell they try to take the series then.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
"This planet is mine, and now you will die!"
IkariKH

Postby Mr. Sean » May 05, 2013 8:28 pm

IkariKH wrote:I think its pretty obvious. LiN and Rev were both basically test run side projects to see reactions towards that kinda gameplay in this gen.

RE6 itself was already in developmemt at the same time Rev was and they were still focused on action because again, the other two were still experiments without clear results yet.

Now with Rev being praised and 6 being trashed, so long as Rev HD sells well, theres a very high chance 7 will be more akin to that.

Though if RevHD doesnt sell well enough for Capcom to deem it a success, it will be very interesting to see where the hell they try to take the series then.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk

I hope Revelations sells well because the 3DS version was really great. Not just great that it was a competent game but great in being a Resident Evil game. But no matter how well RevHD sells they at least get that future games needs focus. RE6 tried to be everything to everyone and even if it didn't do one thing particularly bad, as a whole, the entire experience didn't really gel.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/14/capcom-next-resident-evil-will-be-more-focused/

“Well, you have to understand, we have a couple different sets of Resident Evil fans,” he explained. “We have those who love Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, and Zero, and then we have those who came along during the RE4 era and like things a little more action-oriented, and RE5 even more [action-oriented]. And then RE6 was even more action-focused than that.”

That’s not to say, however, that Capcom’s slowly sinking flagship is completely without direction. There is an end goal in sight: focus. And Svensson admitted that RE6, especially, was fairly lacking in that department.

“The hard part is taking all these things and figuring out how to make something for everyone. That was especially the aspiration of RE6. I don’t know that it worked out exactly the way we hoped, but moving forward, I think you’re going to see a bit more focus – as opposed to trying to be all things for all people.”

So no more disjointed mishmashes of shooting, horror, action, vehicle segments, frustrating on-rails marksmanship, and so many other genre giblets. Or at least, that seems to be the goal. Only time will tell whether or not Capcom’s actually capable of resuscitating its overly bloated El Gigante of a franchise. But hey, if that doesn’t work out, it could always just switch developers. I mean, Dead Rising and Devil May Cry certainly didn’t fare too badly. Just saying.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Yama » May 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Felt like homage, absolutely nothing serious or substantial. Wasn't horrible, wasn't memorable either. The sewer part felt like filler to an already short scenario. Seriously, if this was to be the future of the series, color me unimpressed. I'm tired of nods and such, I want an actual game that caters towards this focal point.

And that's why I made this particular website...
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 06, 2013 9:20 pm

If I was so impressed by a 400 MS points DLC...who knows what my reaction would be towards the full-priced The Evil Within? My jaw would drop to the floor...both out of fear and awe, but that's just my guess :)

Doesn't it say something when my friend, a regular Call of Duty gamer joined me and played the full DLC with me? He actually appreciated the horror theme, and liked Resident Evil 5 better when it was horror-themed. After we beat LIN, we played the Mercenaries re-union and the both of us looked at eachother and said "Seriously?" We both wanted more of the old fashinoned RE goodness of old...

Speaking of which, the reason why I enjoyed the LIN so much was because the co-op felt like multiplayer REZero. That's EXACTLY what I pictured REZero like if a 2nd player could control the partner. Similarly to REZero, you could trade the weapons and herbs w/ your partner.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Yama » May 07, 2013 11:30 am

Yeah, I can see that to some extent. I always wondered why second controller support wasn't added to Biohazard Zero. I seriously would have enjoyed that.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Sean » May 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Yama wrote:Yeah, I can see that to some extent. I always wondered why second controller support wasn't added to Biohazard Zero. I seriously would have enjoyed that.

Co-op RE:Z would have been incredible, but it may have been impossible to do. Split screen may have strained the Gamecube's resources too hard and I don't remember if the Gamecube had link cable support. But Zero and Lost in Nightmares makes me think that Co-op could work in a proper survival horror game. Too bad nobody seems to be willing to take a chance on trying it.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Return to Off Topic