Shadows of the Damned

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Shadows of the Damned

Postby Yama » May 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Ironically enough, I haven't played the game as of yet. The overall tone and design turned me off, though I'm finally ready to give it a try at it's current price. What did everyone think of the game? I'm sure I'll at least have fun with it.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Re: Shadows of the Damned

Postby PanamaRed » May 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Well when they first announced the game I was really hyped because the last time Mikami and Suda had worked together they created Killer 7 so I was expecting something of that caliber regarding the story. Having Mikami, Suda and Yamaoka working on the same game had my hype meter off the charts. Then as they started revealing more about the game I started getting less interested. Finally I learned that SOD didn´t turn out the way Mikami and Suda had intended so that was a big downer for me. I felt it was a great opportunity gone to waste.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby Rikitatsu » May 12, 2013 4:55 am

Loved it.
Its certainly not a mikami game, but I really liked it for what it was, a crazy adventurous roller coaster ride.
The gameplay was fun, but easy. The art is fantastic and the characters are very likeable.
Rikitatsu

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » May 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Honestly, I loved the game because it felt like a breath of fresh air compared to the other titles released. The artwork is really damned good coupled with one of my favourite soundtracks I've heard this generation created excellent atmosphere to the punk rock Hell you traversed. Then I found the chemistry between Garcia Hotspur and Johnson hilarious, yeah the comedy was immature but it felt right kinda like in 80's B horror films. The only flaw for me was that it felt a little too much like Resident Evil 4 controls wise but it's usually over shadowed by the quirky executions which gave it it's own distinct style somewhat. For the price it's offered now, I would heavily recommend picking this underrated gem. It saddens me that EA has the rights for the game so we may never see a sequel due to terrible sales from lack of any advertisement.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby skytrot » May 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Absolutely loved the game and felt that it was really underlooked. I did not expect myself to like it that much but the attentions to details and extremely funny dialogue made this one of my fav games of that year. My only frustrations with the game was with a small section that required extremely accurate and quick actions. Other then that, really really enjoyed it.

Oh and while the narrative isn't the best, I love the subtle bits of info it presents. it's one of those games that got me thinking for awhile after completing it.
skytrot

Postby FLSTN35 » Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

I really liked the game as well despite its childish penis references. I liked it so much I platinum it. Would love to see a sequel, but I can guarantee it’s another victim of EA.
FLSTN35

Favorite Title: Was Dead Space
PSN: RAZMAN13X2

Postby tim666 » Sep 11, 2013 3:41 pm

yeah...this games was really cool...with references to some horror movies like "the evil dead"
Heeere's Johnny!
tim666

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: Tim-Son666

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

tim666 wrote:yeah...this games was really cool...with references to some horror movies like "the evil dead"

That's what I find funny about Mikami. He loves Evil Dead so much that there is almost always a reference to it in his horror games. The Evil Within's Perth House section screams it during the last demo.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Kyosuke_Sanada wrote:
tim666 wrote:yeah...this games was really cool...with references to some horror movies like "the evil dead"

That's what I find funny about Mikami. He loves Evil Dead so much that there is almost always a reference to it in his horror games. The Evil Within's Perth House section screams it during the last demo.

Perth House actually reminded me of Blair Witch Project
The house in the end
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Nov 04, 2014 12:17 pm

After having finished up with TEW for a while I've started another playthrough. Along with RE4 it's the only game I've ever bothered getting all the achievements for.

The first thing that struck me was how much I miss the red laser sight. Man I'm getting constant head shots, loving the way the camera zooms in and freezes for a split second. The bullet feedback is excellent. There are also a ton of ideas that are underused. So many different enemy types and great boss fights using the light shot/ going into darkness etc.

It's a shame there are 2D shooter sections in there instead of proper full levels, and I also never liked how the guns were automatically upgraded. A lot more thought could've been put into that aspect if the game, as the upgraded machine gun makes the last few chapters a cake walk. One other fault it shares with TEW is unskipable cut scenes...

There is a clear line from RE4 to SOTD to TEW, well I feel it anyhow. Wish the game was longer.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Next

Return to Off Topic