The Elephant in the Room: Xbox One Reveal

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The Elephant in the Room: Xbox One Reveal

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » May 22, 2013 9:27 am

I haven't seen for myself because of my job but I've been hearing alot of nasty stuff about the console at work. Names like "Cable Box One" to bitter outburst of "I'm not paying to play on a different profile!!!" have already been leaving my customers mouths as they wait in line to be served and me being the shinobi that I am had no choice to silent listen to their bars about the conference. So I ask the Psycho Break community of your thoughts on the whole matter? Are people getting upset far too quick? Are there facts at the reveal that have been ignored to put the console on ice? And if the things I have heard at work are true, how do you think it will affect the future of gaming on the whole? I will hold my piece until I learn more but please feel free to post what you know to inform me and others on the forum who haven't seen the momentous occasion.

En Garde!
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Re: The Elephant in the Room: Xbox One Reveal

Postby Rikitatsu » May 22, 2013 10:01 am

I think people should wait till E3, since they said that's where they'll showcase the games.

But as for the initial unveiling, it left a bad taste in my mouth.
First of all, I don't like how Kinect is required to be ON for the console to work, I don't like the fact that there is a camera, connected to the internet, is staring in my face all the time, and a microphone that hears anything I say. I may come off as paranoid, but I really value my privacy. (And no, I don't jackoff while playing :p)

There is also the thing about having to connect to the internet at least once a day, that might be fine for some people with stable internet connections, but I live in a "3rd World" country, the internet sometimes stops working for more than a day, and some locations don't even have an internet connection, so I can see this being a hassle.

The specs are considerably weaker than that of the PS4, especially when you realize they are reserving 3GB of RAM for the OS, that gives the XBONE a 5GB of relatively slow DDR3 RAM compared to the PS4's 7GB GDDR5 (1GB for the OS). The PS4 GPU seems to be 50% stronger according to some reports as well. Not to sound like a graphics whore, but I remember how badly the multiplatform ports for the PS3 ended up, and I can see the same happening to the XBONE.

Finally, their focus on the TV/Movie/Sports stuff left me cold, it seems like a feature that will appeal mainly to residents of the United States. The voice recognition on the Kinect looked responsive, but that's always been the case in press conferences, I imagine once you try it at home, it will be more troublesome that actually picking up the remote control with your fingers and switch the goddam channels.

phpBB [video]
Rikitatsu

Postby IkariKH » May 22, 2013 10:53 am

I preferred the 360 over ps3 personally but at the moment I'm leaning on ps4 over 1 unless microsoft wows me somehow before launch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
"This planet is mine, and now you will die!"
IkariKH

Postby Spera01 » May 22, 2013 2:23 pm

IkariKH wrote:I preferred the 360 over ps3 personally but at the moment I'm leaning on ps4 over 1 unless microsoft wows me somehow before launch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk

Same here. I didn't pick up my PS3 this gen until about a year and a half ago. Most of my time has been dedicated to my 360 for the past 7 years.

That whole press conference did nothing but bore me. I understand that it probably wasn't targeted at me, the core gamer, but I mean at least show something. I couldn't care less about sports/TV/CoD so there was no way that they were gonna gauge my interest with that.

That along with the whole mandatory installs, pay to play pre-owned games, requirement to connect to the internet in a 24 hour period, unfriendliness to indie games, and an always on Kinect really couldn't alienate me anymore than I already am.

I'll be waiting for E3 to ultimately make my decision on which console I'm going to get but at the moment, the decision doesn't seem all to hard. I was already veering towards the PS4 before the Xbox One announcement, so at the moment, I'm not really sure what they could really do to reel me back in.
Spera01

Postby Mr. Sean » May 22, 2013 6:42 pm

For me, the Xbox One is a total non starter. I live in a suburb of a somewhat major midwestern city. This is a pretty connected place but even still internet can be really shaky. With the system's seemingly total reliance on the internet and cloud computing, it makes the One a very tough sell for me. But imagine if you lived in the rural United States, or parts of mainland Europe where high speed internet is not available, you couldn't even use the thing! Microsoft is showing a strange elitism where everyplace is like their campus in Redmond and everyone has easy internet access. Of course you could point out that not every place has access to high speed internet but they'll say something like "why would I want to live there?"

The whole Xbox One reveal was utterly baffling. I have a host of other concerns about it but I don't feel like spending all night typing it up. I guess I should thank them for selling me on a PS4. Thanks Microsoft!
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 22, 2013 11:59 pm

For me, the Xbox One was such a fitting name for the console...it perfectly sums up the backwards thinking that went into it. Pretty much confirming some form of always online, CHARGING A FEE FOR USED GAMES, switching the Xbox Guide button to the top of the controller (I thought that was a fan-made controller when I first saw it) , REQUIRED Kinect functionality (No thanks, don't want Big Brother watching me 24/7).

I had some figment of faith that Microsoft would wow us all by killing off the negative rumors and announce something they haven't revealed...but with their conference, they put the nail in the coffin.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby hess » May 23, 2013 1:15 am

What a piece of crap. What the hell is wrong with the people making this console???

I´m getting a PS4 regardless. I moved from Xbox 360 to PS3 in '09, best thing I could have done for online gaming. Microsoft are screwed.
»Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft.«
GOETHE: FAUST – DER TRAGÖDIE ERSTER TEIL, 1808

hess

Postby Saint Ste7en » May 23, 2013 2:19 am

The whole reason I play on consoles from time to time is because I DON'T want to be connected to the internet. I just want to sit in the corner of my room exploring Skyrim in peace. I don't even use my PSN account unless I'm buying a DLC. The fact that I NEED an internet connection to play on the Xbone violates my entire philosophy on console gaming.

On the bright side, I am glad to see the Xbone get such a negative response; maybe gamers and third-party developers will think twice about the Wii U. With the denial of used games, the Xbone is REALLY going to turn some less privileged gamers away to other consoles. While I'm not a Nintendo fanboy (or a fanboy to anything) I still want to see Nintendo do well. The last thing I want to see is Nintendo go down and watch as tons of people lose their jobs. So I'm hoping irritated gamers will give the Wii U a second look now that the Xbone looks more ridiculous that that dopey screen-controller... thing.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby Yama » May 23, 2013 6:19 pm

I'll simply copy some things I wrote on my other forums:

One of the worst pressers I've ever seen. I understand this was a hardware "demonstration" and we'll be seeing games at E-3, but this failed to demonstrate anything tangible as a game console. News flash, the cable box has been invented already, carry on. Too much of a cross platform, app-centric mindset with horrible bits to follow in regards to DRM, etc. While both of these conferences were mostly about hardware and network features, at least Sony's showed me how I can enjoy gaming in a cohesive social environment, not watch select cable channels. The use of full CG (aged CG at that) to introduce each title contributed to the underwhelming factor of it all.

One last thing I'd like to add about this "presser." To even hear a cheer about getting DLC on a system "first" is despicable and indicative of where this industry is headed. The translation is obvious, said party paid to delay the content elsewhere, not acquire it early. As a consumer there is nothing at all to gain by this and the act of presenting such tripe is borderline juvenile at this point.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Sean » May 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Saint Ste7en wrote:On the bright side, I am glad to see the Xbone get such a negative response; maybe gamers and third-party developers will think twice about the Wii U. With the denial of used games, the Xbone is REALLY going to turn some less privileged gamers away to other consoles. While I'm not a Nintendo fanboy (or a fanboy to anything) I still want to see Nintendo do well. The last thing I want to see is Nintendo go down and watch as tons of people lose their jobs. So I'm hoping irritated gamers will give the Wii U a second look now that the Xbone looks more ridiculous that that dopey screen-controller... thing.

When you really think about it, not having to be connected to the internet, being able to play used games, free online play, and native backwards compatibility, feature for feature the Wii U is really the most attractive choice this generation. I know most people wouldn't agree with me but unlike the One and maybe the PS4, the Wii U does everything we want a game console to do.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Next

Return to Off Topic