ZombiU- a true survival horror game

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

ZombiU- a true survival horror game

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 23, 2013 6:16 am

ZombiU...what a controversial launch title. Reviewers gave the game such a mixed review. Some of them, playing the game as if it were an action game, missed the point. It was a SURVIVAL HORROR game, not action.

Here are some key points about the game that as a fan of survival horror, I picked up on so far:

-Inventory management is a key feature in that game. You drag and drop your items in limited slots, and to the top right and left corners of the Gamepad are quick-access slots you may use for anything (I tend to use them for weapons). Any item management in the inventory happens in real time, and as you drag and drop items, the TV screen shifts to a third person view, which gives you a view of any incoming zombies. Should you find that a zombie is approaching you as your using medkits, you know its time to book it!

-The combat is a burden (in a good way). Pushing the ZR trigger shoves back ala Left 4 Dead, but when you hold down ZL you aim your equipped weapon ala Resident Evil and then ZR uses the equipped weapon. Ammo is delightfully limited in the game, as 6 rounds found could be considered a godsend. It's recommended to stick with the cricket bat (the melee weapon), as it conserves the rest of your resources.

-Taking a page from RE Revelations, the game has it's own scanner (called the Bug-out-bag), which is used to mark incoming enemies, scan CCTV cameras (downloads the map for the area), read messages left by other players of the game, mark doors as locked or unlocked, and more.

-The sense of being alone is successfully executed, something that made me so satisfied. Any other characters in the game (so far) only talk to you through the Bug-out-bag, which was neatly pulled off since the Gamepad audio is top-quality (something I heard no reviewer mention).

-Not to mention atmosphere...the lighting, along with the atmosphere, successfully pulls off a great sense of dread and isolation! You have a light, and when you use it, its battery starts to drain. When you turn it off (to recharge it), the darkness haunts you!

Highly recommended for survival horror gamers, and succeeded in holding me off until more info on The Evil Within surfaces!
ProgenitorCastle

Re: ZombiU- a true survival horror game

Postby Nemesis85 » May 24, 2013 1:53 am

Is it exclusively for Wii? because that will suck.
Nemesis85

Postby Mr. Sean » May 25, 2013 1:57 am

I tried the demo out but I was having a hard time getting into it, but then again I was starting to develop a crippling migraine when I was playing it. I did like the emphasis on melee combat and encountering several zombies at the same time seems like it would be difficult so I guess you would need to play carefully, which is good! I'll probably pick it up in the future considering how game-starved the Wii U is.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 25, 2013 10:30 am

@Nemesis85: Yes, it is a Wii U exclusive. However, it uses the Wii U Gamepad features in such a positive way that I can't really picture it making a smooth transistion to other game consoles without losing much of what makes it unique.

@Mr. Sean: Sorry to hear about your migraine...

The way the game handles the zombies is great! Much of the time you're alone, soaking in the impressive atmosphere and completing your current objective. Then, the game throws zombies at you when you least expect it. Even one zombie alone could give you a hard time, as you die in one hit.

Something I didn't mention was the lack of music in the game. Most of the time, its dead silent. When the music DOES appear, it's creepy though.

I hope you give the game a chance, because it well-deserves a playthrough. It truly understands survival horror, and the reason why I think it received much criticism was because it was a launch title. People had their expectations high, since it was:

a.) A third-party title
b.) A new IP
c.)A "hardcore" game

If it launched later in the Wii U lifecycle, maybe people's impressions would've been different, but its out now, waiting to be purchased.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Sumio Mondo » Jun 01, 2013 2:43 pm

It's certainly the most interesting looking survival horror game from a Western developer in quite some time, for me. One hit kill makes it sound super hard, though.
Sumio Mondo

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 2
PSN: harryangel666

Postby Saint Ste7en » Jun 03, 2013 1:21 am

I bought it, but I don't have a Wii U, so I can't play it. Maybe I'll buy a Wii U and play it some day, but for now it will rest on my shelf. At the very least, if I ever *do* buy a Wii U I won't have to scour the internet looking for ZombieU.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Jun 03, 2013 2:18 am

Thank you for supporting the franchise, Saint Ste7en.

It is my favorite Western survival horror game...combining fluid controls, HD graphics, and the Wii U Gamepad features to revive survival horror on consoles. Higly recommended, especially to former RE fans.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Mr. Sean » Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Saint Ste7en wrote:I bought it, but I don't have a Wii U, so I can't play it. Maybe I'll buy a Wii U and play it some day, but for now it will rest on my shelf. At the very least, if I ever *do* buy a Wii U I won't have to scour the internet looking for ZombieU.

Buying a game for a system you don't own is pretty hardcore! I remember buying Capcom Vs. SNK 2 for the PS2 before buying a PS2 itself. It was killing me not being able to play the game right away. Good Times! Anyway, I would totally recommend a Wii U. Its a little barren on games right now but New Super Mario Bros. U And Monster Hunter 3 are totally excellent, and since I skipped the original Wii I have some older games I can catch up on. Plus the 30 cent deals they have been having on Virtual Console games have been great. And everyone knows Nintendo is going to bring the goods for it soon. A new 3D Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart are a lock for it. Even the Sonic game for it looks pretty good!
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby dan76 » Sep 10, 2013 6:38 pm

It's a good game on the first playthrough, but after that it has nothing. Once you know what to do and handle the zombies it's an easy game.

I played it twice, first time I died 13 times. A couple of months later I had another run through and died twice - and one of those was because of a glitched zombie gliding through a tunnel

It should be ported to other systems though. I sold my Wii U precisely because of the awful game pad. I think everything the game does well could be ported over, and the unresponsive game pad cut out. With the Wii U it's almost like any game they make for it will fail for me because I hate the game pad. I can't really see the point of it or how it's fun to be looking between two screen all the time.

On a more general note, though I'm a fan of survival horror I've found that the first playthrough is always by far the best, then subsequent playthrough become boring because a large part of the enjoyment is in not knowing and figuring things out.

I'm hoping the combat in The Evil Within is solid and fun so that once you know what's coming its still an enjoyable game.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby ghostcall » May 11, 2014 1:33 pm

playing Zombiu right now enjoying every second of it.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Next

Return to Off Topic