The Last of Us

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The Last of Us

Postby Yama » Mar 19, 2013 12:44 am

What is everyone's take on The Last of Us? I've been quite excited since it's earliest revelation, though pinned it for another Uncharted out of it's element. The more I see the more I feel just the opposite. I've actually seen it listed under the genre of Survival Horror multiple times now and while I feel that' is a stretch, it does seem to fit the bill in some areas.

There seems to be three types of factions. Fellow survivors who help, fellow survivors who rival and the infected. The end result is something very much like The Walking Dead. Mix in the ruins of a city, horrific indoor environments and country-esque outskirts and it's almost a dead ringer. Borrowing a tried and true formula is never a bad thing of course, especially to a fan like myself. I'm sure the more we play however it'll take on it's own unique identity quite quickly.

The more I hear about it the more excited I become. Being a summer release also helps seeing as it's usually a dry spell for game releases. Outside of Zwei and Beyond Two Souls, this is the game I'm most excited about at this point and it's right around the corner.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Re: The Last of Us

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 19, 2013 2:22 am

will it be released for PC too or exclusively for PS3?
Nemesis85

Postby skytrot » Mar 19, 2013 11:14 am

Yup am looking forward to it. It does have a survival feel to it. Kinda bummed that it got delayed but oh well, if it means a higher quality product than so be it haha. Oh and it's a PS3 exclusive.
skytrot

Postby Yama » Apr 18, 2013 10:20 pm

There is a prequel comic series that serves as a direct tie in. Issue one has already released, did a small summary and shared some impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VlwNNzkvBE
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby skytrot » Apr 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Nice! I'm on the same boat. Boycotting media just so that I don't get spoiled haha.
skytrot

Postby Yama » Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm

skytrot wrote:Nice! I'm on the same boat. Boycotting media just so that I don't get spoiled haha.

Yeah, it's so much more fun that way and much easier to form your own opinion.

Kind of miss the days where a magazine article or two was all we got. Biohazard 3 was kind of like that, overshadowed by CODE: Veronica mainly. Made it more fun though.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby SG79 » Apr 20, 2013 7:27 pm

... and it was the better game :p

I'm actually not interested in finish GOW Ascension but tempted to hold on to my copy for TLOU demo that's coming out on the 7th apparently. Then again, it's not like I'm not planning on getting the game so I may just sell off my copy soon.
SG79

Postby Yama » Apr 21, 2013 2:09 am

SG79 wrote:... and it was the better game :p

I'm actually not interested in finish GOW Ascension but tempted to hold on to my copy for TLOU demo that's coming out on the 7th apparently. Then again, it's not like I'm not planning on getting the game so I may just sell off my copy soon.

What was, Last Escape or CV?
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Spera01 » Apr 21, 2013 6:21 am

This game looks amazing to me. I remember watching the demo they showed at the Sony conference back at last E3 and I was just blown away. The AI looks amazing. Between Ellie and the enemies, there's definitely been a lot of effort put into this. The infected look pretty damn awesome as well. Adam Sessler said it was one of the most harrowing games he's ever played and couldn't play it for a long time due to this. So that alone definitely makes me want to check it out. Also, part of it takes place in Boston, my home town!

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to end up playing it a bit later than most people. I'm concerned that it'll come out for next gen or if there will be a game of the year edition somewhere down the line (the uncharted games are notorious for this and they're also by Naughty Dog), so I kind of want to wait... Although I may just give into the hype when the game comes out and go buy it anyway. :P We'll see...
Spera01

Postby SG79 » Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Yama wrote:What was, Last Escape or CV?

Last Escape. Though I do remember some tame reviews by the western press, dismissing it as a PS1 cash in after RE2; namely the EGM one. I do remember Dan Hsu literally saying "there's a bad guy after you, and that's it", in regards to the story.
SG79

Next

Return to Off Topic