The Last of Us

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Last of Us

Postby Yama » Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm

SG79 wrote:
Yama wrote:What was, Last Escape or CV?

Last Escape. Though I do remember some tame reviews by the western press, dismissing it as a PS1 cash in after RE2; namely the EGM one. I do remember Dan Hsu literally saying "there's a bad guy after you, and that's it", in regards to the story.

Yeah, I remember the talk pre-Biohazard 4. Don't forget it always caught the community flack as being the worst of the mainstream series. Zero kind of took that throne later on. Thing is, these were potentially the worst of the best, which means nothing in regards to them being quality titles. I remember a dismissive attitude towards both Last Escape and Zero for some odd reason. Looking back on it however, they were both gems and gave us more of what we wanted at the time. I'd go as far as to say Last Escape is actually one of the better Biohazard titles, especially now.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Zero » Apr 23, 2013 12:02 am

one of the 3 games That I'm gonna get this year (of the announced titles)

Can't wait for it
Zero

Favorite Title: Resident Evil GC
PSN: FiXalaS
Wii U: Zero97

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

I wonder what type of multiplayer will this game have I remember they said it wasn´t coop but something really special. Im looking forward to this game, it will serve me as an entrée for TEW.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby tim666 » Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

why can't we have june 14...i want to play the last of us now
Heeere's Johnny!
tim666

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: Tim-Son666

the last of us leaked early amazing review

Postby michael_dini » May 31, 2013 7:39 pm

empire awarded nauty dogs the last of us a perfect 5/5.likening to "gamings citizen kane moment.for those not familiar with film history,citizens kane is considered buy many to be the greatest film ever made.is it possible the last of us could be the greatest game ever made?empires review certainly thinks so.its at least a contender for the best game of this console generation.WOW I cant wait until june 14th.
michael_dini

Re: the last of us leaked early amazing review

Postby Mr. Sean » May 31, 2013 11:08 pm

The gaming press have handed out lots of perfect scores the past few years to games that were less than perfect so I try not to read too much into it, though I am really looking forward to The Last of Us.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Nemesis85 » Jun 01, 2013 3:10 am

Spectacular game. so bad its not for PC :-(
Nemesis85

Postby Saint Ste7en » Jun 15, 2013 7:17 pm

This is the modern version of Resident Evil 4 -- An action game under the guise of survival horror.

There are so many flaws in this game it surprises me that this game has actually received perfect scores. It makes me think that either Playstation is buying good reviews or that game reviewing companies like IGN and Gamespot need to stop hiring fanboys as game critics.

Citizen Kane is considered more or a milestone in cinema, rather than the best film in history. And playing this, I am seeing absolutely NOTHING that hasn't been done before. It's just a bunch of mechanics put into a game by way of an action game. It's not a bad game, but The Last of Us isn't breaking any new ground.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby Mr. Sean » Jun 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Saint Ste7en wrote:This is the modern version of Resident Evil 4 -- An action game under the guise of survival horror.

There are so many flaws in this game it surprises me that this game has actually received perfect scores. It makes me think that either Playstation is buying good reviews or that game reviewing companies like IGN and Gamespot need to stop hiring fanboys as game critics.

Citizen Kane is considered more or a milestone in cinema, rather than the best film in history. And playing this, I am seeing absolutely NOTHING that hasn't been done before. It's just a bunch of mechanics put into a game by way of an action game. It's not a bad game, but The Last of Us isn't breaking any new ground.

I don't think The Last of Us was really advertised as a true horror game, just one that has some horror elements. Its getting the marks its getting because of gameplay and story. Naughty Dog really excel at that.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Saint Ste7en » Jun 16, 2013 3:52 am

I was expecting horror because I was hearing from people who played it about how much anxiety and tension the game created by having the player creep around in a dark room full of monsters that can kill you in one bite. No one brought up that dying often is normal and you respawn mere seconds before you died. Tension doesn't get a chance to build because once the room is alerted to your presence, every monster rushes towards you and if you don't go gun-blazing action you'll die. With that said, fights with monsters are generally short. You either shoot them all quickly so they don't touch you, or you die and restart. Either way, there's no chance for any sort of tension to build up to any overwhelming measure.

Another thing is the lack of stakes. Because of the insta-kills the game autosaves before and between combat sequences. With that said, if you die you lose absolutely NO progress and just start the fight over. How am I supposed to be scared of dying when I lose nothing? Dying is scary because it takes EVERYTHING away from you, but I lose nothing in this game. In fact, there are times where I deliberately ask the game to kill me because so I can re-do the fight. I have no idea how anyone found this scary. The only reason to avoid dying is so I don't have to see the animation of a bloater ripping my skull open.

With no tension building and no stakes on death, this game is all survival and 0% horror. After being told by Adam Sessler how intense the horror was in this game I was really looking forward to something heartpounding, but there's nothing. When you have to die and restart all previous tension is reset and conflicts are resolved too fast for any sort of fear to sink in and eat away at the player. I wonder if he was given a special copy of the game to play...

I'm only half-way through so I haven't seen everything yet, but so far the story has been one of the most generic stories in the post-apocalyptic zombie setting. And honestly, I think Sony bought those reviews. Jim Sterling has spoken out against critics for giving out undeserving 10/10 reviews and he delivers one here. I think he was blackmailed Jeff Gerstmann style.

In fact, it kind of has the aura of a sheep experiment. The Last of Us is more of a 7 or 8 out of 10 game, but Sony paid off the major review companies to give it perfect scores. Now we get to see how many players are willing to argue and point out it's obvious flaws and how many will defend the game's flaws because their favorite critics like the game.

When I finish the game I'll make my post on why it's unjust that this game is getting perfect reviews.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic