Is RE Dead To You?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Is RE Dead To You?

Postby ghostcall » Jan 15, 2014 6:45 pm

I been a fan of RE since it came out with Re in 1996.

I bought nearly every RE from main series to spin off games expect RE 5/6.

And yes I did play RE gaiden on gameboy too.

Seeing RE franchise abandoned it Roots as survival horror killed the series for me.

Do you like capcom Direction they took with RE series Post Shinji left?

Yes or No and explain why?
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: Is RE Dead To You?

Postby Rikitatsu » Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

ghostcall wrote:Do you like capcom Direction they took with RE series Post Shinji left?

No, for many reasons... But I think what prevents me from liking RE5/6 isn't the "direction"... But the actual quality of the games.

Many would say RE5 is pretty much RE4, but I couldn't disagree more. They only share the gameplay mechanics, but the quality of everything is just a massive step down from RE4. The pacing, level design, monster variety, encounter design, atmosphere, soundtrack, etc... Are just not as good.

I would gladly buy another "Action Horror" Resident Evil if it was as good as RE4... But with the current talent at Capcom, that seems unlikely.

I would say that if anything is "dead" to me, it would be the story and the world... The series is in dire need for a fresh start.
Rikitatsu

Postby Yama » Jan 17, 2014 6:45 pm

No, of course I don't like it's direction since Mikami left. I think there have been a couple of bright spots, though very little worth excitement. I'll be honest, my mind tells me to let it go, though my heart just can't. Every time a new Biohazard is announced I'll be excited and hopeful, even though it's more or less turning into the "Biohazard Cycle" at this point. I'm giving it one more shot only because the feedback was so poor they have no choice but to listen, plus I'd like to see what they come with on new hardware.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Spera01 » Jan 21, 2014 7:35 pm

ghostcall wrote:Do you like capcom Direction they took with RE series Post Shinji left?

Nope. I miss the originals and it's not even just the camera angles and such. I miss the setting, the atmosphere, the creatures, and the characters back then. It's just not the same anymore. Although, to be honest, I didn't exactly realize it until 6.

RE5, while not being a good RE game, I thought was still a pretty damn good game on its own. My friends and I played it to death. RE6 however, I haven't touched since I beat it, and that itself was a chore. After 6, I think I can confidently say that for the next game, I'm heavily considering waiting until its dirt cheap and possibly used before picking it up. My love for the series honestly died a lot with 6... It really did leave such a horrible taste in my mouth...

But I suppose there's always hope. I did really enjoy Revelations but who knows if any future titles will be more like that one. :(
Spera01

Postby Petard » Jan 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I played RE5 for about 2 hours. Didn't even touch RE6.

They just announced an HD remake of RE4 coming to Steam in a month but it just proves that they are unable to make a new good game so they're trying to milk some extra money from this one. The HD remake is basically the same thing you get with a few mods that are available so they suck even at that.
I'm pretty sure both the RE1/2/3 and RE4 style is dead when it comes to the series.

TEW is going to be the new thing, hopefully it will be big enough for the Great Lord to stay and make another!
Subscribe or I will stab you.
https://www.youtube.com/user/IamPetard
Petard
I create videos

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: GloriousSuplex
Steam: Petard

Postby Morir es vivir » Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm

No. Once Mikami left, product wasn't the same at all. Even with games that where not directed by him like 2, Nemesis, CV, Zero, they still felt like RE because he was involved with them as producer/advisor.

Someone said in a forum last year that this was taken from an interview with Mikami one day before the reveal of the game, April 18. I've been looking for the original interview since then but never found it, so it's very likely not legit, who knows, it's pretty sweet non the less:

"My child for awhile grew up in his father's footsteps...but then it went off to college and joined a bunch of frat hippies and when it came back home one summer it was...changed somehow. No longer did it like to silently roam the hallways of my mansion, or pick my locks without me asking, or push around my giant stone sculptures in search of keys or red emblems. No, instead it would stay up until 5 in the morning every night making loud noises, getting drunk, shooting random things and yelling at the ceiling, then sleep on my couch until 6pm and then smoke some pot and start drinking and shooting again. No, Resident Evil changed once it left my house and grew up. So me and the misses decided to have another baby. This one...we may call Zwei. We haven't decided yet. But you can be sure it will be one scary-ass baby! And if Resident Evil ever comes back begging for money or even for us to do it's laundry, I'm gonna have to say no. I gave it almost a full decade to grow up and become the man it was supposed to be, and all it ever did was tell me 'I ain't neva gonna be like you I can do what I want go to hell'. Gotta go now, the misses is preparing the nursery room for tomorrow's announcement! - Shinji Mikami"
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Tyrant » Feb 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Havn't played 6 yet. I'll get around to it eventually.

If a 7 comes out, for me to care about it they really need to do a 180 and go back to horror. Drop all this rambo stuff.

I would be totally down for a RE2 remake though *does discus throw with wallet*
Tyrant

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby Jocifer666 » Feb 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Unforunately, RE is pretty much dead to me too. Even though 4 and the REmake are my favorite games of all time, and the series as a whole is my favorite game franchise, the series has proven to be disastrous without Shinji's involvement and Capcom has tarnished a great franchise. They've turned it into a COD clone with monsters. So it's obviously no question that 5 and 6 are my most hated games of all time so far. Watching them right now is just depressing- and the ludicrous statements Capcom have recently made about the franchise have taken away my hope for Capcom to reinvent the franchise. They don't seem to have a clue.

The only way I'd have my faith restored, would be if Capcom somehow got Shinji back- or if Shinji buys the Resident Evil rights from Capcom and decides to reboot or remake them himself.....Pending the success of TEW of course ^^.

The quote mentioned above seems to have ruined that possibility-as it doesn't sound like the Father wants to return to his son unfortunately....But one can only hope! I feel that Shinji has been cheated most of all, next to us of course ha ha, by the piss poor quality of these recent games, and I would love to see it righted. He deserves to be in control of his baby in some way- even if it's just a creative consultant or something.

Perhaps TEW's success will determine what happens.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Nemesis85 » Feb 24, 2014 2:46 am

Uhh, I think no matter where RE is headed, I don't think deep down in our heart it can be dead, but what is for sure is that what we play today is very different than what fans want and what we remember from the good old days.
Nemesis85

Return to Off Topic