RE: Revelations 2 competing with The Evil Within?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: RE: Revelations 2 competing with The Evil Within?

Postby liontamer » Feb 23, 2015 7:05 pm

To people who think Revelations 2 isn't competing with Evil Within, you might want to reconsider that.
Revelations 2's first episode is almost out, and the Evil Within's first DLC episode should be out soon too. Also, the season pass for both games are of the same price. Maybe this is just a coincidence, but I can imagine some people having to decide between the two season passes (I find myself in that situation actually), and that's what you call two companies competing with each other.
liontamer

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby Jocifer666 » Feb 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Agreed sir! I just beat the first episode. It's better than five and six, but it's still nowhere near as good as TEW or RE4. Let's face it, it's pretty obvious how much I love TEW :).

My biggest qualm with it, was the game is not scary at all. Not even remotely. The animals and crows and their sounds in TEW are scarier than all of The Affliced IMO. I will say though, I loved the Kafka premise and quotes layered throughout the game.

I am still concerned about the game's length though. I beat the first episode in two hours. If that's any estimate, the game will only be eight hours long.

I will also say, I do think Rev 2 is going to help TEW become further reevaluated. The only thing better Rev 2 did is the graphics and the technical aspects, but barely IMO. TEW blew everything else to a Jill and Juli sandwich :).
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby liontamer » Feb 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:Agreed sir! I just beat the first episode. It's better than five and six, but it's still nowhere near as good as TEW or RE4. Let's face it, it's pretty obvious how much I love TEW :).

My biggest qualm with it, was the game is not scary at all. Not even remotely. The animals and crows and their sounds in TEW are scarier than all of The Affliced IMO. I will say though, I loved the Kafka premise and quotes layered throughout the game.

I am still concerned about the game's length though. I beat the first episode in two hours. If that's any estimate, the game will only be eight hours long.

I will also say, I do think Rev 2 is going to help TEW become further reevaluated. The only thing better Rev 2 did is the graphics and the technical aspects, but barely IMO. TEW blew everything else to a Jill and Juli sandwich :).

This is the first time I'm reading someone's opinion on Rev 2, and I'm actually delighted to hear that it's good. I'm happy for Capcom too, even though I think much highly of Evil Within :P . Like you mentioned, it could help TEW to become reevaluated. I guess ultimately it is good for fans to get to choose between survival horror games.
liontamer

Postby Jocifer666 » Feb 24, 2015 11:45 pm

It's funny man, I'm still not sure if I'd call it good. It's definitely a 7/10 - but nothing higher for me so far, and that's pretty low for a franchise I love :). Don't ask me what my opinions about 5 or 6 are ^^.

My biggest problem with it, is that it's not even remotely scary- like I said. I actually think 5 is scarier, and that's not saying much! I hate that game :).

I'm gonna wait until I beat the next three episodes, before I give my final opinion- but it's definitely not bad.

I'll be honest though man, I still didn't feel like it was a survival horror game- or even really a RE game, characters aside. Which is odd, this is supposed to be The Survival Horror spin off for Biohazard :). It makes me worried to see how actiony the next numbered installment is.

Anyway, back to Nightmare Mode!
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Postby Jocifer666 » Feb 25, 2015 12:16 am

I will have to say though man, as for reevaluation, it did make me realize just how scary TEW is! Even in it's quietest moments. My heart races the whole time playing it, not so in Rev 2- but the Ravagers are cool.
Jocifer666

Postby liontamer » Feb 25, 2015 1:08 pm

Horror aside, what about the other aspects? How are they compared to Evil Within? Is everything about Evil Within better than Rev 2, other than graphics and presentation maybe?

I didn't even bother to play RE6. I replayed RE4 a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it! Evil Within was a true sequel to it in my opinion. It's ironic if you think about it, Evil Within has become what Resident Evil should be, and it now competes with a Resident Evil that is trying to be what it once was :P
liontamer

Postby Jocifer666 » Feb 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Yes, everything else in TEW is significantly better than Rev 2- graphic aside. The graphics themselves are only slightly better too, I would even say that the animations and lighting are much better in TEW IMO. Voice acting too.
Jocifer666

Postby dan76 » Feb 26, 2015 8:20 am

I finished the first episode of Revelations 2 last night. I really enjoyed it, easily the best RE since 4.

I'm no fan of co-op but it was ok in this. The game would've been much better if you were playing on your own though. Switching characters is a bit of a bore, plus in a large fight it's kind of confusing. At a slow deliberate pace it's ok. The fact that only one character can see certain items is a pain as it means you spend less time playing the character you want. The dialogue between characters isn't too intrusive, it was actually well done. Barry ftw.

The atmosphere is good, pacing is good. The red laser sight is fantastic and capcom have done right by giving multiple control options. You can play with an RE4 style, RE6 (so I'm told, though why anyone would is beyond me) and the default which is like TLOU. The graphics were also pretty good, I liked the enemies though bullet feedback isn't great. There are no exploding head shots for some reason, plus the enemies will charge and jump towards you covering a ton of ground. Not very realistic but easy to dodge.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that at no time does the game take control away from you. There are a couple of cutscenes but it's all gameplay. No forced walking or saving. I hope it continues on like this as the first revelations overloaded the cutscenes and shortened the chapters towards the end. It's not as good as TEW but it gets some things right that TEW didn't.

Raid mode is excellent (if you liked it in the first game you will love this). Capcom have really made a cool little game, and for £4.99 I can't really fault it as there is so much content. I think maybe the pressure is off and the company expect modest sales when compared to the main series. This has probably allowed them more freedom and it does have the feeling that's it's made by a team who love RE. I don't expect any of this to translate over to RE7...

Playing on a PS3 the game is smooth except for when saving. No other glitches yet, though it took ages to install, got stuck at 95% for over an hour. I've preordered the disc but I wanted to try out the first episode so Raid mode will keep me occupied til the disc releases - or until March 10th...
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby liontamer » Mar 01, 2015 2:49 am

Sounds really good. Does anyone know anything about the bonus episodes though? Are they related to the main-story? I am now considering getting the REV 2 season pass.
liontamer

Postby dan76 » Mar 01, 2015 9:10 am

I just posted this over on gamefaqs as someone else was asking the same thing.

Dusk Golem posted some stuff on neogaf.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=997628&page=34

Moira's episode is survival focused where you play with an old fella - not Barry. You have to kill animals for rations, Moira also has a gun. Not sure what enemies turn up or what the setting is.

Natalia episode plays with another girl also called Natalia. This other Natalia wears all black and can't be seen by enemies, but can't interact with the environment. Also, the scenery has a lot of weird colours in them, very psychedelic. You are looking for a friend and have to collect letters and photos. My guess is you scout ahead with the Natalia that can't be seen, spotting enemies and collectables then switch to the other Natalia to pick stuff up.

They're both different from what I was expecting, looking forward to them though.

Also, there are completion times floating around for the full game - not including the bonus episodes. They range from 6 hours to 14 hours. Not bad considering the price etc.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic