Resident Evil 7

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Resident Evil 7

Postby Autoignition » Jun 16, 2016 10:13 am

Considering the fact that the demo apparently has no place in the full game at all, I would probably bet that this particular location isn't in the final game. But that doesn't mean that we won't be shoved somewhere similar or even mostly identical.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby dan76 » Jun 16, 2016 11:42 am

From what I've read it take place in a sprawling plantation mansion. I'm hoping it's like the first RE, which is a big influence apparently. Interesting interview here: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/e ... ent-evil-7

They talk a bit about combat, influences etc. they say that if you're looking for a game where you mow down zombies this isn't for you, each enemy is more of a threat ( they suggest playing Umbrella Corps...). Signs are good in that the main line series seems to be horror focused and the action games are now an offshoot. That's how it should have always been. I wish it was third person though, I'll have to get over that.

Slim chance, but I really hope they bring back not being able to move when firing, or at the very least slow you movement to depending on which weapon you use. Nothing has come close to that fight or flight combat that RE4 did so well.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby gmc1992 » Jun 16, 2016 2:52 pm

dan76 wrote:From what I've read it take place in a sprawling plantation mansion. I'm hoping it's like the first RE, which is a big influence apparently. Interesting interview here: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/e ... ent-evil-7

They talk a bit about combat, influences etc. they say that if you're looking for a game where you mow down zombies this isn't for you, each enemy is more of a threat ( they suggest playing Umbrella Corps...). Signs are good in that the main line series seems to be horror focused and the action games are now an offshoot. That's how it should have always been. I wish it was third person though, I'll have to get over that.

Slim chance, but I really hope they bring back not being able to move when firing, or at the very least slow you movement to depending on which weapon you use. Nothing has come close to that fight or flight combat that RE4 did so well.

I like what im hearing so far but I do wish there could be an option between third and first person view, interesting enough if you played the demo
umbrella seems involved in this game somehow so storywise there will be a connection and we may see alex wesker
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby Autoignition » Jun 17, 2016 1:17 am

The more I think about this, the angrier I get about it. Capcom confirmed that development for RE7 didn't start until 2014 – and I don't doubt for a second that they delayed development because they wanted to see what Mikami was going to do with The Evil Within and how it was received, because they were terrified that the man who'd given them their survival horror juggernaut in the first place was getting back into the survival horror game. If TEW was a success, they could just keep on coasting on Mikami's ideas. If it bombed, they could keep the criticism raised against it in mind while creating RE7.

Survival horror purist pissbabies pushed back against TEW, because of course they did. TEW broke sales records for survival horror, but somehow that got lost in the noise of a couple hundred angry neckbeards. 2014, however, was also the year of PT. Capcom, seeing the near-universal praise for PT, jumped at the opportunity to capitalize on its success among pissbabies, especially since TEW was so divisive of a game. Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but part of this almost feels as though they're aiming to send a message to Mikami that they had truly stolen his audience and he was nothing without them. I know that his departure from the company was an ugly, ugly divorce.

It's just so fucked up and shady and underhanded, and it really gets under my skin. It's also creatively and intellectually dishonest, and it makes me feel even worse when I consider the fact that Silent Hills's cancellation means everyone who wanted it will flock even harder to RE7.

Mikami created The Evil Within because he had a vision and felt passionately about what survival horror is and should be. Capcom created RE7 because that was where the praise and money was.

The worst part about this is wondering what RE7 would've turned out like if only pissbabies hadn't turned their backs on TEW.

You did this, survival horror purists. You did this to RE7. I hope you're all fucking proud of yourselves.
Autoignition

Postby dan76 » Jun 17, 2016 8:30 am

Relax, it's just a game, you know?

Money drives the business, and yes, it's not the most original thing for them to be doing. But at least they've given up going after the CoD money for now. The chances of them making a good horror game have increased purely because if the direction they're going in.

Btw, people are still trying to crack the demo. Seeing numbers in blood splatters, wood grain... New levels of insanity. Capcom must be laughing their heads off.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Autoignition » Jun 17, 2016 10:55 am

I've watched three of my other favorite vidya series get consumed by greed and die within the past five years. I really don't want to watch it happen again. Especially considering this announcement is coming off of the painful and profound disappointment and trash heap that was Uncharted 4, it stings even more. Resident Evil has been my favorite series for over 15 years. You'll have to excuse me if I sound a little histrionic, but that's what happens when you really care about something on a personal level. This might sound goofy, and I'm sure it is, but RE was the reason why I studied criminal justice in college. I wouldn't know literally any of the friends I have today if not for RE.

So, to be completely honest with you, I really don't care about Capcom producing a good horror game -- though I think they've failed at that, too, regardless. I'm just so ridiculously sick of all of the first person grimy haunted house simulators on the market, and RE7 doesn't do anything new with the concept at all. At least, the demo didn't. Having combat in the game doesn't make it less of a first person grimy haunted house simulator, either.

All I wanted was for Resident Evil to just stay Resident Evil, complete with all of its ridiculous over-the-top hammy bullshit that makes no sense. I would've even been okay with them ditching the old cast for a new one, just so long as the game still played and felt like RE. It doesn't, and to add insult to injury, it's not even inspired or good horror. It's just a cash-in on current trends because Capcom is too creatively bankrupt to direct the series in a meaningful way on their own, and continued backlash from survival horror purists while Mikami has games back out on the market likely scared the hell out of them. Better to cave to demands when you don't know what you're doing.

But I do bet Capcom is laughing hysterically at all of the people trying to PT the demo, as though Capcom has somehow been able to outperform Kojima on obtuse, nonsensical puzzles. No one beats Kojima in that regard, and PT was figured out within two days. No way in hell is the RE7 demo still hiding more.
Autoignition

Postby Jocifer666 » Jun 21, 2016 12:04 am

Capcom would say it's a return to the series roots and then make it look absolutely nothing like an RE game :).

Funny enough, I enjoyed the demo significantly more than I thought- and I am interested in seeing more. RE false prophet aside. They're certainly capitalizing on FPS horror- and I understand why they're doing it.....But it is money grubbing, even for Capcom. Although, wasn't the original game optioned to be First Person? Initially, I mean?

Any guess what the mannequin finger does-besides Capcom obviously giving us the finger ^^? Ha.

Or the plot? I do like the idea that it's set in one location again- and I miss horror games taking place in a large location ala REmake or even Arkham Asylum. A plantation location could feature a Baron Samedi style boss villain at some point- not to mention alligators and other freaky Southern terrors.

Funny thing about backlash is: I searched Resident Evil 7 on my Facebook page and I got a whole swarm of angry gamers complaining about it. Heh. Most of the trending posts were- aside from the IGN and Rely on Horror articles, as well as other somewhat major sources hyping the game. It was rather humorous.

I will say though, this may offer some semblance of hope. Case in point: At the very least, there do seem to be a loose return to the classic door opening action- as well as an equally loose return to the interior monologue, whenever the player interacts with key items in the environment. Could the fact that there's multiple endings to the demo suggest multiple endings to the actual game? I'd like to see the actual game at some point, to see if Capcom aren't pulling our legs again.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby gmc1992 » Jun 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:Capcom would say it's a return to the series roots and then make it look absolutely nothing like an RE game :).

Funny enough, I enjoyed the demo significantly more than I thought- and I am interested in seeing more. RE false prophet aside. They're certainly capitalizing on FPS horror- and I understand why they're doing it.....But it is money grubbing, even for Capcom. Although, wasn't the original game optioned to be First Person? Initially, I mean?

Any guess what the mannequin finger does-besides Capcom obviously giving us the finger ^^? Ha.
They say you can melt it but i've tried everything :(

Or the plot? I do like the idea that it's set in one location again- and I miss horror games taking place in a large location ala REmake or even Arkham Asylum. A plantation location could feature a Baron Samedi style boss villain at some point- not to mention alligators and other freaky Southern terrors.

Funny thing about backlash is: I searched Resident Evil 7 on my Facebook page and I got a whole swarm of angry gamers complaining about it. Heh. Most of the trending posts were- aside from the IGN and Rely on Horror articles, as well as other somewhat major sources hyping the game. It was rather humorous.

It does have a more silent hill feel than resident evil but that doesnt bother me im excited for the new direction they're taking

I will say though, this may offer some semblance of hope. Case in point: At the very least, there do seem to be a loose return to the classic door opening action- as well as an equally loose return to the interior monologue, whenever the player interacts with key items in the environment. Could the fact that there's multiple endings to the demo suggest multiple endings to the actual game? I'd like to see the actual game at some point, to see if Capcom aren't pulling our legs again.

It looks good so far but who knows with capcom responses are in bold btw :), also forgive my ignorance but whos baron samedi?
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby chriskilla10 » Jun 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:Capcom would say it's a return to the series roots and then make it look absolutely nothing like an RE game :).

If you seen the article from Rely On Horror. It looks like gun-play is going into the game with pic and all. It might be just a classic Resident Evil game but with a First Person Perspective. I can't say yet. We just have to wait and see.
chriskilla10

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby STALKERA90 » Jun 23, 2016 11:09 am

i need to know 1 think only if there is zombies in the resident evil 7 if there is not then this is not gonna to be resident evil game for me anymore
STALKERA90
THE EVIL WITHIN

Favorite Title: SILENT HILL
PSN: ruslan9005291749
XBL: STALKERA90

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic