Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

Postby PanamaRed » Mar 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Tbh Gears didn´t "create" anything. The cover mechanic is ripped straight out from Killswitch. Basically Gears is Killswitch+RE4. Popularized the TPS yes, created anything new? Nop.

Here is some gameplay from Killswitch btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaM-b3pvJk

You are giving way to much credit to Gears when in reality it is just a combination of gameplay from 2 games. Not saying Gears is a bad game just that it doesn´t deserve that much credit because it did not create anything new. No Killswitch and no RE4 means no GoW.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby skytrot » Mar 19, 2013 2:04 am

@Saint Ste7en

If that's that case then Pac-man should be the definitive survival horror game. Which is not. Yes, there were "survival horror" games before RE but the term was coined only when RE came to be. Alone in the Dark was never made to be a survival horror, rather it was created to be an action adventure game. Sweet Home was an RPG with horror themes. Btw I'm not denying Sweet Home's and Alone in the Dark's influences on RE, but if Shinji Mikami hadn't created the "Survival Horror" genre with RE and it's conventions, those games would never have been referred to as Survival Horror games. In fact, the term would very likely not exist and games like Silent Hill, Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame and etc would very likely cease to exist.

I think you give Gears way too much credit. RE4's offset camera and over the shoulder aiming were never seen before in any video game and one of these or both is seen in every single TPS or action adventure game today. As and I said earlier before, third person games before RE4 were either like the earlier Tomb Raiders, GTAs and Metal Gear Solid games. Do you see how much difference these 2 elements make. Imagine Gears, Dead Space, Army of Two with centered cameras and Tomb Raider(2013), Uncharted, LA Noire and etc without the over the shoulder shooting. It's a really huge deal, more specifically the aiming, which is a standard in third person games now. That's why the game was revolutionary.

On the other hand, Gear's cover system comes from earlier games like Winback and Killswitch. The sticky cover system more precisely comes from Killswitch. It's "regenerating" health system is nothing new and has been introduced in many games before Gears was released. (Most recently Halo) It's over the shoulder aim and offset camera is obviously inspired from RE4. While I do give it props for improving Winback's and Killswitch's cover systems, it is in no way original. I will give him credit for popularizing it though.

Everything about Gears is iterative except for maybe the roadie run. There is an article with Cliffy B saying that Iteration was what made Gears of War, citing major influences from RE4 and Killswitch.

Vanquish's slide boost mechanic has been emulated to some extent by Bulletstorm, Spec Ops: The Line, RE6, Crysis 2, Killzone 3, Binary Domain. I'm pretty sure that more games in the future will follow suit.
skytrot

Postby Saint Ste7en » Mar 29, 2013 12:31 am

Sorry for being late; I've been incredibly busy lately.

Hey that's a good point with Pac-man. You can definitely make an argumentative point on it. And, oh goodness, don't get me wrong. As far as I'm concerned I can't possibly care less about Bleszinski and his influences on the game industry, if he made any or not. Although it's hard not to give Epic Games a big golden star for the Unreal Engine 3.

But I just think you're giving Mikami too much credit and not enough at the same time. He coined the phrase "survival horror" with Resident Evil and he DOES get the fame for it. Mikami may not be revered by the "gun bro" crowd, but as far as the video game industry he's a household name and he's HIGHLY respected. Whenever a new Mikami game comes out his name is one of the first things that's mentioned e.g. I knew Mikami was the designer of Shadows of the Damned before I even knew what the game is about. That is something that never happens to some other masterminds in the industry like Eiji Aonuma. THAT man is a designer that doesn't get enough credit. So saying "Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit," is kind of... Well, I guess depending on what crowd you're talking about, but I stand behind it being untrue.

As for "revolutionizing the third-person genre with RE4." I'm sorry to say, but the innovator is rarely remembered for those kinds of contributions such as an innovative camera angle. Off the top of your head, can anyone recall the designer that thought of regenerating health instead of health packs/health drops?

But again, don't get me wrong (and I've said this a dozen times), Mikami is a genius in the video game industry and one of my personal favorite directors. I just disagree when this thread says he doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments because he certainly does. And thank goodness, because there are probably SO many designers out there that spend their whole career creating some of the best stuff gamers have ever enjoyed and don't get the fame for their accomplishments.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby Hearts Filthy Lesson » Apr 06, 2013 8:14 pm

I only discovered Project Zwei via Mikami's wiki page. You'd think that when the creator of the Resident Evil series creates his own company and then announcers that he's going to direct his final game, which will see him return to the genre that he himself made famous, it'd be pretty big news.

Look at how Hideo Kojima is covered in contrast.
Hearts Filthy Lesson

Postby skytrot » Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm

It's alright. I'm pretty busy right now too haha. :) I think we both agree that the man's a genius.

However, I still feel that his name doesn't get brought up enough. Like what Hearts Filthy Lesson said, you'd think that more people would know about Tango Gameworks and Project Zwei but unfortunately not many people do. There were hardly any game sites that mentioned Mikami's departure from Platinum Games and his plans to stop directing after Project Zwei.

I do agree with you 100% regarding Eiji Aonuma. That man is a genius as well. And yea, there are way too many awesome people in the industry that are under-appreciated.
skytrot

Postby yurieu » Apr 18, 2013 5:47 pm

i disagree. he takes much more credit than he actually deserves. hes as a director, is responsible for money and follow the product development

we have so much talented games producers, like the director of non-mikami REs, amazing writers like Noburu sugimura(dead), hiroshi shibata(director of 3.5)...
yurieu

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 18, 2013 5:49 pm

yurieu wrote:i disagree. he takes much more credit than he actually deserves. hes as a director, is responsible for money and follow the product development

That's not what a director does, you are confusing that with the "producer".
Rikitatsu

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 18, 2013 8:15 pm

yurieu wrote:i disagree. he takes much more credit than he actually deserves. hes as a director, is responsible for money and follow the product development

we have so much talented games producers, like the director of non-mikami REs, amazing writers like Noburu sugimura(dead), hiroshi shibata(director of 3.5)...

Hmm....what? and please don´t tell me you are getting your information from that News bot post.
PanamaRed

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 18, 2013 8:33 pm

PanamaRed wrote:

Hmm....what? and please don´t tell me you are getting your information from that News bot post.

That post was painful to read.

All directors get input and ideas from the designers and planners under them, It's the same with Hideki Kamiya at with Bayonetta and Okami where Hiroshi Shibata was the lead designer, however, a director is a director, he is responsible for the game's vision and every idea that gets pitched, he is the driving force behind the game. Mikami is no exception.

The bit about not handling Vanquish and Godhand's development was pure comedy gold. :lol: He pulled that from the depths of his ass.

I'm amazed at the lengths those "classic" RE fans would go to degrade Mikami because he "ruined" the franchise, truly astonishing.
Rikitatsu

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

JP Kellams already dismissed those claims anyways.

PanamaRed

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic