Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

Postby skytrot » Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm

This man is one of the greatest game creators of all time IMO. I'm disgusted that his contributions to the game industry have not been recognized. He single-handedly created a game genre, survival horror, with the original RE, revolutionized the Third-person shooter genre with RE4 and then further evolved that said genre with Vanquish. The guy's an absolute genius. I'm extremely sad that Zwei is going to be the last game he's directing.
skytrot

Re: Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 15, 2013 2:58 pm

True that.
His record is unquestionably legendary, yet more people seem to know "CliffyB" and David Jaffe over him.

I still think Mikami is very popular in certain regions like some European countries , South America, and the Middle East. But I don't see much buzz about him in American press/communities... It's anecdotal, but its something I've noticed.
Rikitatsu

Postby skytrot » Mar 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Exactly! How people like Cliffy B, David Jaffe, Ken Levine and Todd Howard are more recognized then him really irks me.
skytrot

Postby PanamaRed » Mar 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Totally agree with you op. Mikami is right up there with Kojima and Miyamoto as one of the best Japanese game developers ever. The guy is a legend but sadly he rarely gets the credit he deserves. Never understood how some RE "fans" don´t know who created their favorite series.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby Saint Ste7en » Mar 16, 2013 2:57 pm

I disagree with this completely. Mikami is well known to be a legend in the video game industry and is rated #7 on IGN's top 100 game creators of all time. He is rated far above Cliffy B, David Jaffe, Ken Levine and Todd Howard. Bleszinski is the next one on the list rated down at #40.

His record is unquestionably legendary, yet more people seem to know "CliffyB" and David Jaffe over him.
That's because they're western developers with clear reign. Mikami was a tight-leashed slave to Capcom for quite a while. Either way, they may be more well known to video gamers, but they are not as well respected in the video game industry as Shinji Mikami. I think it's hard for anyone in the video game industry to take Bleszinski seriously after his whining at Jim Sterling's review of Gears of War III.

Eiji Aonuma is the genius in the video game industry that deserves the spotlight, but Miyamoto gets all the fame from Aonuma's legendary work.

And Mikami didn't create a genre. Survival/horror was around before Resident Evil was released. Alone in the Dark started the 3D survival/horror genre; Mikami just made an incredibly better game that skyrocketed him to fame. He also didn't "revolutionize" third person shooters in the slightest with Resident Evil 4. If he did, they would all have tank controls and everyone would have to pause the game to switch weapons. Bleszinski is far more influential on 3rd person shooters than Mikami ever was.
Acta Est Fabula
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Postby Blood-Curse62 » Mar 16, 2013 6:29 pm

The term "Survival Horror" was said for the first time with the release of Resident Evil not Alone in the dark, even if this game has the same mechanism.
Mikami have always told that he didn't know this Frederick Raynal game.
But indeed Alone in the dark and even Clock Tower was too survival horror game.

In Europe Mikami is a famous creator, i didn't hear who are Cliffy B, David Jaffe, ... -_- but i know their games

God of war was inspired by Devil may cry, it's Mikami who have installed this king of game

So Mikami has revolutionized survival horror, beat them all and Third person shooters. It's a ... god ?!
I'm french so I'm sorry if there are mistakes in my posts
Blood-Curse62

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Why you don't here the name of Mikami so often and frequently and more than Cliffy B, David Jaffe, and ... , is because westerners have always kept everything restricted to their own reign and territory. this appllies to everything,not just Video game directors.
Nemesis85

Postby Saint Ste7en » Mar 17, 2013 1:08 am

Maybe the language barrier? Both Blezinski and Jaffe can speak English, thus they're easier for big time western video game magazines and news sites to deal with.

And you shouldn't target that comment at "westerners". Nintendo selfishly has region restrictions on their consoles also and we all know that's a Japanese company. With that said, I have a *slight* bias towards Sony for their lack of region restrictions.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Postby skytrot » Mar 18, 2013 2:03 am

Saint Ste7en wrote:And Mikami didn't create a genre. Survival/horror was around before Resident Evil was released. Alone in the Dark started the 3D survival/horror genre; Mikami just made an incredibly better game that skyrocketed him to fame. He also didn't "revolutionize" third person shooters in the slightest with Resident Evil 4. If he did, they would all have tank controls and everyone would have to pause the game to switch weapons. Bleszinski is far more influential on 3rd person shooters than Mikami ever was.

Resident Evil was the first game that defined the term Survival Horror and is also what defined the genre. Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark weren't called survival horror games back then.

I also have to disagree with you on CliffyB. RE4 was the first game to introduce the over the shoulder camera in a third person game that is now seen in over 90% of third person games. (for eg. Dead Space, Uncharted, Tomb Raider and etc) CliffyB has even said that he was greatly influenced by RE4 when creating Gears. Before that, third person games that utilized guns had the gunplay of the older Tomb Raiders, which is clunky as heck or had to completely switch to first person view when aiming. It was also the first game to have that offset camera angle which is now emulated by all TPSs. Games before that had their cameras placed directly behind the player character. There was no other game like RE4 and it was way ahead of it's time.

And while Gears did manage to evolve the genre, Shinji Mikami made a game years later that blew every single Gears game away, and that game was Vanquish. That game makes Gears look like a slow clunky mess. No TPS comes close in terms of control, speed and action. Vanquish also reinvents the cover system by not only having it easily destructible (yes this was done before) but also having bullets coming in all directions. This meant that you had to zip around constantly and not just stay at one spot and just pop and shoot which is what Gears and most TPSs were about. Also, almost all third person shooters now have the slide to cover mechanic which was first introduced in Vanquish.

With that, I reiterate that Shinki Mikami is more influential then CliffyB in the TPS genre.
skytrot

Postby Saint Ste7en » Mar 18, 2013 10:33 pm

He defined the Survival Horror genre, but it certainly was not the first. There's an old riddle:

Question: "Before Mount Everest, which was the largest mountain in the world?"
Answer: "Mount Everest."

Just because it wasn't called "survival horror", doesn't mean it didn't exist as a genre. Likewise, just because he did it best doesn't mean that he "created" it. And heck, if we want to go over the first survival horror game ever I'd nominate Sinistar. That was the first game that gave me the kind of fear rush that I get from modern survival horror games.

I am surprised to hear that Gears of War was influenced by Resident Evil 4 considering the MAJOR difference in controls and pacing. I honestly didn't believe you at first until I did some research. It almost seems "Unreal" :P . But despite the over-the-shoulder, which I now see was Mikami's influence, I have a hard time seeing anything else that Resident Evil 4 brought to modern third-person shooters. Most third person shooters are all about running to chest-high walls and cover based shooting. None of that is even remotely close to Resident Evil 4, saying that bringing over-the-shoulder camera "revolutionized" the genre? ... I feel that's a slight exaggeration. Mainly for the fact that most third-person shooters are probably influenced by Gears of War's cover based, regenerating health gameplay. Saying that Mikami had a major influence on modern third-person shooters is like saying Gabe Newell has revolutionized modern first-person shooters with Half-Life. He brought new life to the first-person shooter genre, no doubt, but Battlefield 3 and the Call of Duty series have hardly anything to do with his work these days. The FPS genre has changed over the years and his influence has dissipated. I love Mikami's work as much as the next fan, but I just can't say his games have influenced the third-person shooters of 2013 (although it's VERY safe to say Resident Evil 4 influenced the modern Survival Horror games, now that they are sinking more and more into an action phase). I never played Vanquish on the fact I dislike the third-person shooter genre, but to me it looks more like THAT game was inspired by Gears of War more than the other way around. Cover based shooting, regenerating health, Space marines-- that's Bleszinski's turf. Having unique aspects like bullets from all directions and sliding around doesn't make a game influential, especially when most aspects of that game had already been done, especially when they've already been done by a person whom you are trying to say is less influential... But it does make the game unique and probably better than most other cover based shooters. But unless everyone starts ripping off those aspects from Vanquish it's very hard to persuade me that the game was "influential" in any way.
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Next

Return to Off Topic