Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Shinji Mikami doesn't get enough credit.

Postby Kaphron » Apr 18, 2013 9:32 pm

skytrot wrote:
Saint Ste7en wrote:And Mikami didn't create a genre. Survival/horror was around before Resident Evil was released. Alone in the Dark started the 3D survival/horror genre; Mikami just made an incredibly better game that skyrocketed him to fame. He also didn't "revolutionize" third person shooters in the slightest with Resident Evil 4. If he did, they would all have tank controls and everyone would have to pause the game to switch weapons. Bleszinski is far more influential on 3rd person shooters than Mikami ever was.

Resident Evil was the first game that defined the term Survival Horror and is also what defined the genre. Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark weren't called survival horror games back then.

I also have to disagree with you on CliffyB. RE4 was the first game to introduce the over the shoulder camera in a third person game that is now seen in over 90% of third person games. (for eg. Dead Space, Uncharted, Tomb Raider and etc) CliffyB has even said that he was greatly influenced by RE4 when creating Gears. Before that, third person games that utilized guns had the gunplay of the older Tomb Raiders, which is clunky as heck or had to completely switch to first person view when aiming. It was also the first game to have that offset camera angle which is now emulated by all TPSs. Games before that had their cameras placed directly behind the player character. There was no other game like RE4 and it was way ahead of it's time.

And while Gears did manage to evolve the genre, Shinji Mikami made a game years later that blew every single Gears game away, and that game was Vanquish. That game makes Gears look like a slow clunky mess. No TPS comes close in terms of control, speed and action. Vanquish also reinvents the cover system by not only having it easily destructible (yes this was done before) but also having bullets coming in all directions. This meant that you had to zip around constantly and not just stay at one spot and just pop and shoot which is what Gears and most TPSs were about. Also, almost all third person shooters now have the slide to cover mechanic which was first introduced in Vanquish.

With that, I reiterate that Shinki Mikami is more influential then CliffyB in the TPS genre.

Couldn't agree more, Vanquish didn't get the attention or recognition it deserves. It's a really great game, far better than Gears imo.
Kaphron

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 18, 2013 9:51 pm

PanamaRed wrote:JP Kellams already dismissed those claims anyways.

JP has worked with Mikami and Hiroki Kato both at Capcom and PlatinumGames, and he continues to work closely with Hideki Kamiya, Hiroshi Shibata, and other RE veterans at PG for 5 years and counting,I'd rather take his word over some random internet poster.

Mikami's brilliance dates back to the 16-bit era with Aladdin and Goof Troop, anyone doubting he is anything but a great developer doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. He is by far one of the greatest and creative game developers of all time, and all his peers hold immense respect for him, including Hideki Kamiya who calls him "My Master".

WHen Mikami quits directing games it will be a huge loss for gaming as a whole, which is one of the reasons why ZWEI is such an important title, it will be Mikami's swan song, all of his years and years of experience both as a director and producer will be poured in this title.
Rikitatsu

Postby skytrot » Apr 18, 2013 10:54 pm

yurieu wrote:i disagree. he takes much more credit than he actually deserves. hes as a director, is responsible for money and follow the product development

we have so much talented games producers, like the director of non-mikami REs, amazing writers like Noburu sugimura(dead), hiroshi shibata(director of 3.5)...

As many before me have mentioned, a Director leads his team to fulfill his vision(hands on) while a producer handles the budget and ensures that the game is developed on schedule and etc. A director takes the fall for everything

Look at the man's credits. It speaks for itself. Not only has he directed some really really excellent games, he has produced many of them as well. How does he take more credit then he deserves? If anything, the man doesn't get enough credit, which is why I started this thread in the first place. His name doesn't get brought up enough compared to the likes of CliffyB, Ken Levine and etc who are rookies compared to this genius of a man. My main point was that he is not as recognized as his peers, not that he doesn't get enough credit compared to staff working under him.

Also, I'm sure Sugimura-san is great but he is a writer. Not one single writer for any video game has been credited enough IMO. And I'm not doubting Shibata-san's abiliity either. However, you simply cannot compare the two of them as Shibata-san has yet to direct a game that has gone gold.

Being a director may seem like an easy task on the surface, but I can assure you that it is not. If a game goes bad, all blame is put on the director. That's the amount of responsibility a director must take. Also, you may not be aware of it but the term, Game Director(only used in Japan) is similar to what a Lead Designer is in the west. Which is why I brought up names like CliffyB and Ken Levine.
skytrot

Postby Sumio Mondo » Apr 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Mikami also shepherded Hideki Kamiya into becoming one of the most consistent game directors out there too. We should be thankful to Mikami for seeing Kamiya's talent and taking full advantage of that; he got Kamiya to make RE2 and then instead of outright scrapping Kamiya's vision for RE4, he got him to turn it into... Devil May Cry. And thus, a video game legend was born.
Sumio Mondo

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 2
PSN: harryangel666

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Sumio Mondo wrote:Mikami also shepherded Hideki Kamiya into becoming one of the most consistent game directors out there too. We should be thankful to Mikami for seeing Kamiya's talent and taking full advantage of that; he got Kamiya to make RE2 and then instead of outright scrapping Kamiya's vision for RE4, he got him to turn it into... Devil May Cry. And thus, a video game legend was born.

I read somewhere that Kamiya calls Mikami his "Master" and you know that when Kamiya holds someone in such high regard it must be because that guys is pretty badass haha.
Last edited by PanamaRed on Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby Mr. Sean » Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I can't believe Mikami's cred was ever in question! What a bunch of bullshit!
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 29, 2013 9:52 pm

We are fooled if we think Mikami is directing TEW!! He is sitting at this desk counting the moneiz while Nakamura and the rest of the creative designers are slaving away in creating a masterpiece that will be undeservedly credited to that swindler, Shinji Mikami!!

THIS IS 100% TRUE, I'M AN EXPERT!
Rikitatsu

Postby Nemesis85 » Apr 30, 2013 3:07 am

Big and talented people don't need to be always around, order, and tell everyone what to do and what not to do. most of the time, they say one sentence, one small advice from their bag of experience, and that suffices for the crew to know what to do. Mikami is one of them.
Nemesis85

Postby skytrot » May 02, 2013 12:04 am

Sumio Mondo wrote:Mikami also shepherded Hideki Kamiya into becoming one of the most consistent game directors out there too. We should be thankful to Mikami for seeing Kamiya's talent and taking full advantage of that; he got Kamiya to make RE2 and then instead of outright scrapping Kamiya's vision for RE4, he got him to turn it into... Devil May Cry. And thus, a video game legend was born.

Don't forget Shu Takumi as well. Mikami helped produced all the Ace Attorney games and likely got Takumi his first directorial gig on Dino Crisis 2. According to one of Kamiya's Platinum Games blog post, both him and Takumi joined Capcom at the same time and were both "brought up" by Mikami. I really enjoy Shu Takumi's games as well.
skytrot

Postby mindcircus » May 29, 2013 1:17 pm

even before kill switch the cover shoot mechanic was present in shinji mikami's 2003 p.n.03 shooter....
mindcircus

Favorite Title: Anything Shinji

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic