Writing commissions

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Writing commissions

Postby Autoignition » Sep 28, 2015 3:50 am

Hey guys, uh. Normally I wouldn't make a thread like this, but I'm kind of in dire straits here, and I figure the best course of action is to just try to get as much exposure and advertisement as possible, even on a tiny little family forum like this.

I'm not sure if this is anything anyone here would be interested in, but I'm offering my services as a writer for sale. I know that some people commission fanart and stuff, but rarely do I see stories go out for commission. Basically, long story short is that I recently made a huge move from east coast USA to west coast USA to get out of my parents' house and move in with my brother. That was at the end of July. It's now about to be October, and I cannot get a job. I've been on countless interviews, I've sent out probably literally hundreds of resumes, and it's just a really slow-going and demoralizing process. My money's running out, and I'm not going to make it through this month. I have nothing worth selling and no real marketable skills as a hobby (like art or jewelry-making or cosplay-making or whatever) except for my writing.

I've written for TEW before and other games, and even though I know it's not technically legal to be making money off of copyrighted works, people in fandom do it all the time, so I figured... what the hell. Why not give it a shot? I'm also offering to do original writing, so it's not completely 100% illegal of a service.

All of my commission information can be found here, as well as links to examples of my writing, if you're interested in throwing me a couple of bucks for a story (seriously, anything helps -- even $10 is gas money while I go on interviews). If you just want a quick glance at what I'd consider to be some of my best writing, you should check out my Archive Of Our Own page, and just try not to be immediately put off by the pairings or content I have listed up there. I'm guilty of kind of writing what I think will be popular, because more exposure means more feedback for me as a writer. I'm open to writing pretty much anything for my buyers, so don't feel like you're restricted to the kind of stuff I've already written.

If this is totally against the rules, I understand if the mods take it down. I just thought it was worth a shot, because I'm really hurting for cash, and you guys have been good to me since I first made my debut on these forums. Thanks for understanding, and don't sweat it if you don't have the money to spare right now. Not a lot of people do.

At the very least, if you could just tell your friends, reach out to other people who might be interested, that would help so, so much. Just get the word around. Thanks again.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Re: Writing commissions

Postby perpetualodium » Feb 28, 2016 11:09 am

Did your luck turn around? You doing okay now?
I'm the Michael Jordan of bad decisions.
perpetualodium

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: perpetualodium
Steam: perpetualodium

Postby Autoignition » Feb 28, 2016 1:58 pm

After posting this, I did manage to get a temporary position for a while through an agency... but that ended at the start of the new year. Now I'm worse off than I've ever been. I haven't gone foodshopping in about a month and a half and I don't have the money to pay my utilities for this month. I'm doing everything I can, but if this goes on much longer, I'll have to take out a loan, and then it'll take me years to get out of this hole.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to vomit my personal troubles all over the boards like this. So, the long and the short of it is: I'm still accepting commissions.
Autoignition

Postby perpetualodium » Feb 29, 2016 8:41 am

Autoignition wrote:After posting this, I did manage to get a temporary position for a while through an agency... but that ended at the start of the new year. Now I'm worse off than I've ever been. I haven't gone foodshopping in about a month and a half and I don't have the money to pay my utilities for this month. I'm doing everything I can, but if this goes on much longer, I'll have to take out a loan, and then it'll take me years to get out of this hole.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to vomit my personal troubles all over the boards like this. So, the long and the short of it is: I'm still accepting commissions.

Shit. That makes me appreciate what I have. Is there any chance you can move back in with your family till you get back on your feet?

Sent you $10 CAD, but the Canadian dollar is weak right now. That's the best I can do. I blew two months worth of pay on The Evil Within stuff this week, lol. Also, you don't need to write me anything. Just spend it well.
perpetualodium

Postby Autoignition » Feb 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Thank you so much, dude. It might not seem like much, but this is definitely milk/ramen money for the next two weeks, since my diet has been pretty strictly cereal and ramen for a while. :lol:

I can't move back in with my parents, unfortunately, since the money it would take to go all the way back across the country wouldn't be worth the trip (and I don't have it, besides). I think after all was said and done it took like close to a grand to get out here, after gas and hotels and all that. Both of my parents are retired anyway, so I would still have to pay rent and all that regardless. I AM living with my brother in a house that he owns, so I'm very lucky on that front, because he's a very understanding landlord. Right now I'm waiting for my tax return to come in, because even though it won't hold me over for a full month, it is something. I'm also waiting on a callback for one job I interviewed with, and I have a few things hopefully in the works for the Las Vegas PD, but that hiring process takes 3-5 months (ugh).

I would still love to write something for you as a thank you, even if it doesn't turn out to be the full 740 words that this money is worth (after conversion).
Autoignition

Postby perpetualodium » Feb 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Autoignition wrote:Thank you so much, dude. It might not seem like much, but this is definitely milk/ramen money for the next two weeks, since my diet has been pretty strictly cereal and ramen for a while. :lol:

No problem.

I can't move back in with my parents, unfortunately, since the money it would take to go all the way back across the country wouldn't be worth the trip (and I don't have it, besides). I think after all was said and done it took like close to a grand to get out here, after gas and hotels and all that. Both of my parents are retired anyway, so I would still have to pay rent and all that regardless. I AM living with my brother in a house that he owns, so I'm very lucky on that front, because he's a very understanding landlord. Right now I'm waiting for my tax return to come in, because even though it won't hold me over for a full month, it is something. I'm also waiting on a callback for one job I interviewed with, and I have a few things hopefully in the works for the Las Vegas PD, but that hiring process takes 3-5 months (ugh).

Just glad to hear you're living with your brother. It'd be a lot worse if you were living under a random landlord.

I would still love to write something for you as a thank you, even if it doesn't turn out to be the full 740 words that this money is worth (after conversion).

Nah. Just hit the thank you button on my last post (the one where I told you I sent you $10). That'd make me plenty happy.

Oh, and stick around this forum. I like your enthusiasm for The Evil Within. You seem to be really passionate about the game, which is great. I plan to read your lore guide soon.

Also, I have a small bit of advice for you. The temptation's bound to come up, but don't sell the console you use to play TEW unless you absolutely have to. It's never worth the quick buck you get from selling it, and you never get good value for it (been there, done that).

Hope that last bit doesn't sound like a lecture.
perpetualodium

Postby Autoignition » Feb 29, 2016 8:55 pm

perpetualodium wrote:Just hit the thank you button on my last post (the one where I told you I sent you $10). That'd make me plenty happy.

I often forget that's even a feature on this site. :lol: But you got it!

Oh, and stick around this forum. I like your enthusiasm for The Evil Within. You seem to be really passionate about the game, which is great. I plan to read your lore guide soon.

Ah! I hope you do! Even though I know I'm among fellow fans here already, sometimes I feel like I'm shouting into the wind with my love for the game's story. I get so excited when people read that essay and share their thoughts with me. More voices = more viewpoints = me looking at the canon from different angles = more comprehensive guide. And that's what I want to do for this fandom. It's become my mission to dispel the myth that this game's story doesn't make sense or was thrown in as an afterthought.

Also, I have a small bit of advice for you. The temptation's bound to come up, but don't sell the console you use to play TEW unless you absolutely have to. It's never worth the quick buck you get from selling it, and you never get good value for it (been there, done that).

Hope that last bit doesn't sound like a lecture.

No, it doesn't sound like a lecture. I won't lie, I did think about selling my PS4 for a while since I have a gaming rig that can handle anything I play on PS4 already (though I'd have to sacrifice Bloodborne if I ditched the console, and it'd be hard to part with my GOTY 2015). I could sell it for a pretty pretty penny because I still have PT on it, too. But I ultimately decided against it. There are some things that you can't measure in monetary value. For me, my PS4 is one of the few things that lets me take a break from my near-constant existential crisis brought on by my financial situation -- and for someone with depression and ADHD, that kind of solace is invaluable. Also, I can make my PS4 work for me in other ways. I'm going to try to platinum TEW sometime soon, so maybe if I start streaming often enough, I can draw in a few viewers who feel inclined to donate to people who do those sorts of things.

Fun side fact: I actually bought a PS4 specifically for TEW, because I remember back when it was first announced there was a pretty big rumor going around that it was going to be PS4 exclusive and it was going to be a launch title (or close to launch, anyway). I was still working at Gamestop when PS4 launched, so I made it a point to save one for myself day 1 specifically for TEW, even though by that point the release date had been pushed back. I'm a huge Shinji Mikami fan; I've never played a game directed by him that I didn't immediately fall in love with. That alone justified the day 1 purchase of an entire console for me.
Autoignition

Return to Off Topic