Are you all Horror fanatics?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Are you all Horror fanatics?

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, I like horror in Games, there is a great thrill in playing such scary games like the Classic REs, Silent Hill, Amnesia, etc... But to be perfectly honest, that's never been a main reason to why I liked a certain game, its just an icing on the cake for me, what I value most is a great atmosphere and a sense of isolation, which is why I absolutely love RE4 and don't mind the "lack of horror" in the game, contrary to some people around here.

I wouldn't have minded if The Evil Within had little horror, while some people would have found that a deal-breaker.

So let me ask something: Would you still be excited for The Evil Within if it had little horror? How much do you value Horror in your games?
Rikitatsu

Re: Are you all Horror fanatics?

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I love horror games and movies so yeah im pretty much a horror fanatic but that wasn´t what brought me to this site. Im also Shinji Mikami fan and as soon as I heard he was making a new game I had to know all the details about it lol. I wouldn´t mind if the game had went all out action since it was Mikami making it after all and it was his last game. What I value most in games is probably the gameplay itself and Shinji Mikami has become a master of gameplay in the last years. I like each and every game this guy has made and naturaly this won't be any different.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 25, 2013 7:11 pm

PanamaRed wrote:I love horror games and movies so yeah im pretty much a horror fanatic but that wasn´t what brought me to this site. Im also Shinji Mikami fan and as soon as I heard he was making a new game I had to know all the details about it lol. I wouldn´t mind if the game had went all out action since it was Mikami making it after all and it was his last game. What I value most in games is probably the gameplay itself and Shinji Mikami has become a master of gameplay in the last years. I like each and every game this guy has made and naturaly this won't be any different.

Yeah, I was mega excited about Vanquish as well, so it wouldn't have mattered much if Sebastian was suplexing hordes of zombies. :)
Rikitatsu

Postby IkariKH » Apr 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Horror is my favorite genre for games and movies because fear is one of the most powerful emotions. And its not fun to actually be terrorized in reality but knowing the terror isnt real allows you to experience the fear and "enjoy" it.

Its just a vastly unique experience i really enjoy. It lets you experience the darker side of the world that you otherwise couldnt experience due to morality.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
"This planet is mine, and now you will die!"
IkariKH

Postby FadedBlackangel » Apr 25, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm an odd one lol, you see I don't like or watch horror movies. I'll watch stuff like Walking Dead but I don't watch stuff like Saw. The last horror movie I watched was Silent Hill in theaters, ..so whenever that came out was the last thing I watched that I think could be considered "horror". And I only went and watched that because I loved the games lol.

HOWEVER, I fell in love with two particular series known as Biohazard and Silent Hill. I'm not sure why to be honest, I guess I liked the ability to make decisions and how I could control the outcome. That's also probably why I don't watch horror movies since I have no control over what they do. :lol:

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Postby hess » Apr 25, 2013 11:59 pm

The Evil Within is a full horror game!!! Yay!! :)
»Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft.«
GOETHE: FAUST – DER TRAGÖDIE ERSTER TEIL, 1808

hess

Postby Nemesis85 » Apr 26, 2013 1:38 am

lets get more in-depth for why we like horror games, or what in a game gives us horrific vibes.there is a "two-factor theory of emotion" by Shachter, stating that our emotions, in this case the feel of horror, is a function of both cognitive factors and physiological arousal. what this means in the realm of horror genre video games is that, when a story is so intense and very intriguing, your experience physiological arousal, such as increase in the heart rate. When a person is not sure of the source of this feeling, we look at our environment, in this case we relate it to the video game, the atmosphere, the story,the music, etc. and we label our feelings as fear,panic, or fright. Therefore, yes, I do like horror games, not because it makes me wet my pants (just kidding), but because of the joy of accomplishing a task under intense pressure.
Nemesis85

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 26, 2013 2:05 am

But most of you guys haven't really answered the question.
Would you be excited about TEW if it had little horror?
Rikitatsu

Postby Nemesis85 » Apr 26, 2013 2:52 am

Rikitatsu wrote:But most of you guys haven't really answered the question.

what do you mean by "little horror?" are you saying that if it has less horror and more action elements?
Nemesis85

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 26, 2013 2:54 am

Nemesis85 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:But most of you guys haven't really answered the question.

what do you mean by "little horror?" are you saying that if it has less horror and more action elements?

Yes.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to Off Topic