Are you all Horror fanatics?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Are you all Horror fanatics?

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Mr. Sean wrote:
PanamaRed wrote:i just don´t get this type of people. RE4 is a fantastic game and also groundbreaking for its time. I dare to even say that if it wasn´t for RE4 the RE series would be dead today. I respect your opinion nevertheless.

You're correct. Resident Evil would have been about as dead and buried had it kept going the way it was. But unfortunately Capcom has entered a "damned if you do - damned if you don't" territory. Had they kept making the games the way they did in the 90's with the fixed cameras and the wonky controls, everyone would whine about how outdated, unoriginal, and non-innovative it was like how they whine about the rest of the long time major Japanese game franchises. Instead, they decided took RE into the direction it is currently in and everyone whines about it.

I've mentioned it before, but I'm sure the attitude people have about RE4 now has only come about sometime after 5 came out when it became officially cool to bag on Resident Evil. When it first came out on the Gamecube, nobody had a bad thing to say about it. It's bullshit. RE4, in my opinion, still stands as at least on of the top 5 best games of this century. It was brilliant when it came out and it's still brilliant today.

Agreed. I think they should keep the new gameplay but just give players less ammo and supplies. That way everyone will be happy. Probably TEW will be just like that.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby Mr. Sean » Apr 26, 2013 8:27 pm

PanamaRed wrote:Agreed. I think they should keep the new gameplay but just give players less ammo and supplies. That way everyone will be happy. Probably TEW will be just like that.

They kind of do that with Revelations and its an awesome game. And considering how much they are playing up the "true survival horror" tagline, I'm having a hard time imagining Tango and Bethesda walking back from it now. TEW is a game I have a lot of faith in.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby FadedBlackangel » Apr 26, 2013 9:46 pm

If by "little horror" you mean about as much as RE4, then yea I think I would be satisfied. RE4 was a solid game and IMO had the best balance of horror vs action so far. If I play TEW and meet even one enemy that leaves the same impression on me as regenerators did in RE4, then I would be satisfied.

Although I will say that I would appreciate a little more horror than what RE4 had, and I'm expecting more horror than RE4 due to all of this gruesome, "Silent Hill like" concept art and screenshots.

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Postby Onestand » Apr 27, 2013 1:58 am

Yama wrote:
Onestand wrote:I would love if The Evil Within had horror as much as REmake, RE2, and RE3. This is one of main reasons why I am really disappointed with The Evil Within. Apparently, it looks it has horror more than any RE title. That's just my opinion.

You want it to have horror, but are disappointed because it looks more horrific than the entire Biohazard series? Not sure I understand this statement.

Lol. Sorry, Yama, I should have explained more in my statement.

Anyway...

First of all, when the development team started working on the first Resident Evil, they didn't want to make the most horrific game ever. They want make a survival horror game with a specific balance. For example, they were very specific about designing the creatures. Not only that, they were very specific about choosing what kind of creatures they should put in the game (the creatures you can kill). Should they put creatures like ghosts in the game (whatever they look like)? Should they make creatures like the ones in the Silent Hill (the game that always makes me wondering: How can someone survive this?)?

The point: - The creatures shouldn't be scary as much as the ones from Silent Hill series.

They didn't focus only the creatures design, they focus on what certain areas the zombies or Hunters or Lickers should appear or not. They don't appear in every single area. You can walk around in some areas without worrying that there are monsters around.

That's what I meant when I said "I would love if The Evil Within had horror as much as REmake, RE2, and RE3".
The series (Biohazard/Resident Evil) that makes you believe that protagonist can survive this kind of horror.
That's my opinion.
Onestand

Postby Spera01 » Apr 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm a huge horror fanatic myself. It's my favorite genre in both movies and video games. Ironically enough, what got me into horror was when I was about 5-6 and watching my brother play the original RE on the PS1. Since then, horror games and movies have been a passion of mine. My favorite horror movies are The Thing and Alien. Zombies I'm also a huge horror fan of, which I guess can also be because of RE.

Now to answer the question, would I be excited for The Evil Within if it didn't have much horror? Sure! RE5 is one of my favorite games this gen and that game has very little horror. As long as the gameplay is fun, I'm all for it. However, since The Evil Within is making horror a focus, it's just icing on the cake if the gameplay is great.
Spera01

Postby Cyberote » Apr 30, 2013 9:35 am

I'm not much of a horror fanatic. I don't care much for horror movies and I haven't played too many horror games, but I like the ones that I've played, which are mainly Resident Evil titles. Too many movies and games rely on jump scares and they get boring after the first watch or play through. That's why I'm hoping The Evil Within works magic in the horror genre.
Cyberote

Postby skytrot » May 02, 2013 12:38 am

I wouldn't say that I'm a hardcore horror fan. I'm just a fan of good games and auteurs like Mikami-san. I would still enjoy TEW if it was like RE5 which I enjoyed immensely(probably in the minority here). I would like to get more into horror games though.
skytrot

Postby IkariKH » May 02, 2013 3:06 pm

If TEW had "little horror" I doubt I'd be very interested because I'm not really excited for new IP action games unless they offer something unique. TEW offering survival horror is the selling point for me. Without that, I wouldnt care about it.

Unlike most, Mikami being director does little for me and I would not buy an action game just because he made it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
"This planet is mine, and now you will die!"
IkariKH

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm not much of a horror person at all...but what drew me into Resident Evil 2 (my first RE) was the foreboding sense of mystery. I felt like I was an investigator, hunting down puzzle pieces and finding out what happened indirectly (through the files). That was the main hook for me...it made me feel like I was a detective. This feeling of investigation was further amplified when a few RE titles later, I stumbled upon REmake. That was the title that made me truly feel like a detective. To boot, you're a member of an elite task force, STARS. That heightened the mystery vibe because this time, I was a detective FOR REAL, not searching for my brother (which was a nice story by the way). And to escape the place you're stranded in, you have to clue in on the maze you're stuck in. Discovering hidden pathways, rotating items to find key information (heck there was a whole puzzle to solve that was initiated by investigating an object properly). All of that made me feel like I was solving a mystery.

If The Evil Within has that sense of mystery, I will be a happy customer.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » May 08, 2013 1:48 am

For me, I know I would end up buying the game regardless because Shinji knows how to give games that campy feel which very little titles have but in all honesty I would feel disappointed after the new game smell leaves my nostrils because in this generation of "playing it safe" it's just not enough. I would end up giving up on consoles ever delivering the justice my favourite genre then continue on my PC trek of indie titles that are trying to take horror to the next level.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic