Are you all Horror fanatics?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Are you all Horror fanatics?

Postby Yama » May 09, 2013 10:47 am

PanamaRed wrote:I dare to even say that if it wasn´t for RE4 the RE series would be dead today

Hate to say it, but seeing the series left in a perfect state without being tarnished sounds kind of appealing in retrospect. :lol:
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Imagine if the series continued in the vein of RE3.5...

-Possibly ended the franchise...with Leon infiltrating "the heart of Umbrella" and putting an end to them himself. Would he survive the struggle...?

-Could've stuck to the original RE gameplay, but the supernatural stuff was different and intriguing enough to distinguish it from previous games of the series.

-No major divide in the fanbase, as exsists today with the action vs horror fans

Some food for thought
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Cyberote » May 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Honestly, I think I'd rather have more supernatural enemies than continue on with what we have today. I'd love to see what the RE franchise would be like if 3.5 had actually been released... and if the movies hadn't existed.
Cyberote

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 09, 2013 9:21 pm

If utilized properly, I believe the paranormal elements could've been really well executed. And that 5-min demo of the Hookman...made me believe! Imagine if such encounters were randomized. Potentially scary stuff if you ask me...I wish a trial CD was at least made for it...
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Yama » May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

It's such a tough thing to wish for considering what a great title Biohazard 4 was, as a game in general. I try not to mix up genuinely great with what could have been. One is a given, the other is a question. I feel they were scraped for a reason honestly, same with 1.5. The intrigue kills me, don't get me wrong. I just can't say I'd not want the AAA title we received.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Good point about Biohazard 4...the way I played the titles was all backwards. My first RE was RE2, followed by RE4...then RE5, and then 3. After those, I played REmake, CODE Veronica, and at last, Zero. Considering the order I played them in...I didn't appreciate RE4 as much as I should've (it felt "older" compared to the other games even though it came out later than the classic REs, since I played it before many of the other titles) Due to the weird order I've played them in...I ended up enjoying the classic-angle RE's more and when I found out about the beta games, my interest was ignited. If I played them in the correct order...I'm sure my opinion on RE4 would've been more positive.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Mr. Sean » May 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Yama wrote:It's such a tough thing to wish for considering what a great title Biohazard 4 was, as a game in general. I try not to mix up genuinely great with what could have been. One is a given, the other is a question. I feel they were scraped for a reason honestly, same with 1.5. The intrigue kills me, don't get me wrong. I just can't say I'd not want the AAA title we received.

Exactly. RE4 was great so I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over not having the Hookman proto. Besides, the series has always been about biohazards so the paranormal stuff for me doesn't really jive with what the theme of the series. Now I certainly wish they could have expanded the Hookman stuff into a different series. Real survival horror was still pretty in back then so maybe Capcom could have spun it into another franchise.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 10, 2013 7:05 am

Yea...but the way it was explained fit within the RE series! The hallucinations were a side effect, of a
VIRAL INFECTION!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To RE4's credit, it still did have some scenes of Leon's infection w/ the Las Plagas infection causing him pain. It just didn't manifest itself in the gameplay, unlike RE3.5, where the blue-tint occurs and the paranormal stuff happened
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Yama » May 10, 2013 12:25 pm

The way I see it, we made out. We ended up with an incredible game in that of Biohazard 4, the amazing Devil May Cry and if you longed to see the setting in 3.5, Demento / Haunting Ground used many of it's assets and was another great title. It spawned three gems, I simply can't trade all of that in.

Do I want to play the build? Of course, I too am slightly obsessed with the betas, namely 1.5, 3.5 and to a lesser extent Network Biohazard. Luckily 1.5 is finally going to see the light of day, that in itself is a dream come true. At least we have some decent footage of both the swarm and hookman 3.5 variants, though it would be great to go hands on with them one day.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby IkariKH » May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I think the movies were the biggest detriment to the series. It seems like after their continued success, capcom tried to switch gears and incorporate a lot of that action nonsense into the series.

Mind you, I love the gameplay of 5 and 6. Its just the complete lack of challenge, atmosphere, and overall feel that they lack because they aim to be more hollywood action films than horror games.

I still attest they could have that same gameplay but be amazing horror games if only they fixed their focus.

And coop should be available but done more in an RE2 meets Outbreak style. Two chars, same story and campaign but with different areas to explore ala leon and claire. So two single player games to go through. However, you can also play together ala outbreak style of intersecting at any given time or seperating at will.

So you can play the whole gamr side by side or seperately or a little of both. It would please both single player and multiplayer fans while still providing a proper atmosphere.

And enemies need to stop being canon fodder for you to do flashy melees on. I want to fear every single enemy in the game and need to fight for my "survival" all throughout. Not just blast my way through everything like its nothing.

It would make all that sliding and dodging and ducking and cover far more useful, making it very "actiony" in terms of quick reflexes but all for the sake of staying alive and avoiding really tough enemies, not just being flashy and mindless.

So much they can do to appease both sides of the coin and have a really awesome game to boot. But they seem oblivious to it all so..

Anywho, probably getting way off topic here so!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
"This planet is mine, and now you will die!"
IkariKH

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic