Bethesda Posts a Story FAQ for TEW2 and a first look at Juli

(Latest news and updates)

Bethesda Posts a Story FAQ for TEW2 and a first look at Juli

Postby Rikitatsu » Jul 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Bethesda has shared a new blog post with a FAQ that brings you up to speed with the last game's events, plus we get a first look at Juli Kidman's in-game model. Check them out below.

Blog Post
Rikitatsu

Re: Bethesda Posts a Story FAQ for TEW2 and a first look at

Postby Rikitatsu » Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm

If I understand this correctly, Sebastian wasn't lured to beacon, he was a "scientific collateral" ? Plus, I fear the bit about familiar characters returning is paving the way for the absence of Joseph in the next game.
Rikitatsu

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Of note, they mention this post will be updated over time as more questions and points arise. they want this to be a FAQ to link to for people who have questions on the series story and set-up of the sequel, so they say new information will be added over time.

A few interesting points in the post right now is they confirm Mobius sent Kidman to find Sebastian and ask him to do this, it isn't Kidman acting behind Mobius' back to do this but Mobius deciding that Sebastian may be their best hope to recover Lily inside her STEM world, who has mysteriously gone missing and the world of her STEM has begun deteriorating.

They also mention most of the character in TEW2 will be new characters, with only mentioning Sebastian, Kidman, and Lily as returning faces. To be seen if Joseph, Ruvik, Mobius' Director, or the like appear in the game. We know Laura is in this game too, but I'm starting to think there's a chance that Tango is seriously considering this a longer series and the sequel may in fact be like RE2 in the regard there's references to the original and it ties into the world, but focuses on a completely different scenario. So we might not see some of the bigger plot threads leftover from the original until further down the line. Of course, we won't know until we know.

So one small thing the article confirms is that some weapons can only be obtained by doing certain side-quest, it mentions it as a reward for doing these. Also the Mobius agents in the STEM were sent in before to try to retrieve Lily, but to no avail.

The article makes mention of Mobius' agents a few times in the post so it sounds like they're most of the supporting cast in this game, mentions they can give you side-quest but also Kidman will provide information on them from the outside and that they've been in this STEM longer than we have and been separated from each other.
Dusk Golem

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:If I understand this correctly, Sebastian wasn't lured to beacon, he was a "scientific collateral" ? Plus, I fear the bit about familiar characters returning is paving the way for the absence of Joseph in the next game.

Sorry to double post a bit, but wanted to talk on this a bit but got a phone call right when I started so didn't want to do a late edit that'd be missed for discussion.

There's a few things about how Sebastian originally got in STEM that raises questions. The FAQ does make it sound like Sebastian and Joseph only ended up here because of Kidman, but then I think there's a bit more to it than that. However the original game does imply he was only put in accidentally, like in Chapter 10 of the original in one of the only scenes that Ruvik and Sebastian speak to each other, Ruvik mentions it's unfortunate that Sebastian had been dragged into this, but he's here now so it's up to Ruvik to do with as he pleases there. So I do get the impression Sebastian and Joseph being there wasn't part of a bigger plan, though it might have been convenient since Sebastian was looking into Mobius' activity before he knew it was theirs.

I said this a bit above, but while we won't know until we know because I suspect there's a lot we don't know yet, but I'm kind of expecting some pretty big plot threads from the original game may not pop up in the sequel. Tango said a while ago before the first game released that they imagined TEW being a series rather than a single game, and I take it since Evil Within was added to "Bethesda Land" this E3 and getting representation like Bethesda's other big IPs that have multiple entries that Tango and Bethesda are in this for the long haul, and I think they're planning to do an TEW3 if the sequel does well rather than this conclude everything from the original game.

So I compared it to RE2 above, but that's not completely fair since there are more obvious draws than being completely separate. The most obvious being we're playing as Sebastian again and there's at least a few familiar faces in Kidman and Laura, and technically Lily but we never really got to know her much in the original game. But I'm thinking while this game may push a lot forward on Mobius, Sebastian, and introduce new things to the universe and advance some things, it might be a completely separate story that has its own tale to tell. I'm starting to suspect we may not see Ruvik or Joseph in this title as two of the biggest ones, but they may be reserved for the future. Again we don't know that, they could pop up in later but I could also see them not being a big part of this title.

I've made some posts elsewhere before about the 'survival-horror grand daddies' formula, the ways that Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame 1-3 are very similar. The first title has a dark mystery to it that's slowly unveiled, the second game goes in a different direction that's still in the same world and connected to the events of the first game but tells a more personal story and something a bit separated from the first game's story, then the third game goes back to returning to the first game's story and builds upon it and a more intense horrific scenario.

In RE2 we follow Leon and Claire into Raccoon City in its final hours and deal with a zombie outbreak citywide, a corrupt police chief, and William Birkin and his G-Virus, then in RE3 we return to Jill Valentine and Raccoon City but she's being stalked by Nemesis to destroy S.T.A.R.S.. In SH2 we join James dealing with his own personal guilt and it tells a very personal story that's only set in the same town, but then in SH3 we join Heather as she goes to the town to get vengeance for her father from members of the cult trying to forward their plans. In Fatal Frame 2 we join a pair of twins in a different space as they get pulled into a tragedy in a lost village involving a twin ritual, then in FF3 we go to a dream manor where characters connected to the events of the first two game are finding themselves drawn due to their tragedies and slowly getting sucked into the manor and dream. TEW2 is both kind of following this but separating from it, as it is telling a more personal story, and to be seen if it's more separate or connected than we think right now, but we are following some familiar characters. Part of that I think is they wanted to develop these characters as fuller and more interesting rounded individuals, but it might still be more separate rather than following the story of the original as honestly TEW1 wasn't about Sebastian that much more than he was dragged into this and dealing with something loosely connected to him.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jul 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Wow. At some point between TEW1 and TEW2, Juli just kind of morphed into Jill Valentine. She looks completely different.

Rikitatsu wrote:If I understand this correctly, Sebastian wasn't lured to beacon, he was a "scientific collateral" ?

The article contradicts itself. At first it says that Sebastian was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but then in like the very next paragraph it says that he got pulled in because of Juli. And then it goes back to saying that it was just an unfortunate coincidence again.

I also noticed that this blog post doesn't actually say anything new or really anything different at all from the crap that Pete Hines was spouting at E3. The author of this article probably never actually played TEW, honestly. It looks like she was given a list of bullet points by Bethesda to flesh out, and that's that.

Rikitatsu wrote:Plus, I fear the bit about familiar characters returning is paving the way for the absence of Joseph in the next game.

Bethesda's not going to confirm anything without a specific press release with accompanying media about a character reveal. If you re-read that section with a critical eye, it's a whole lot of words for what basically boils down to, "I personally don't know, but Bethesda wants me to push our new content to attract a bigger audience."

Johanas went out of his way to confirm Joseph's alive status, and we've already seen concept art of him for the sequel. If Joseph isn't in this game, I will personally give you $20, Riki. :lol:

Dusk Golem wrote:There's a few things about how Sebastian originally got in STEM that raises questions. The FAQ does make it sound like Sebastian and Joseph only ended up here because of Kidman, but then I think there's a bit more to it than that. However the original game does imply he was only put in accidentally, like in Chapter 10 of the original in one of the only scenes that Ruvik and Sebastian speak to each other, Ruvik mentions it's unfortunate that Sebastian had been dragged into this, but he's here now so it's up to Ruvik to do with as he pleases there. So I do get the impression Sebastian and Joseph being there wasn't part of a bigger plan, though it might have been convenient since Sebastian was looking into Mobius' activity before he knew it was theirs.

Ruvik says that because it wasn't Ruvik's plan to drag Seb & Joseph into STEM. "It's a shame they dragged you into this" is a pretty revealing statement, because it doesn't imply an accident at all. Ruvik seems to know that Mobius deliberately targeted Sebastian and sought him out and dragged him into STEM. If Sebastian ended up there by happenstance, then there were better ways to word that sentence. ("A shame you stumbled into this," etc.)

The Administrator certainly implies purpose and intent in The Consequence, too:

TA: "You were assigned to your team for a reason. Castellanos, Oda... they know nothing, but they're searching for answers."
JK: "Searching for us, you mean?"
TA: "One of us. But this may be our chance to remove them. Having all of you in one place may provide us with opportunities."

Juli also confirms this very soon after in a personnel file in the KCPD, referring to Sebastian as being someone that everyone at Mobius is "so afraid of."

I said this a bit above, but while we won't know until we know because I suspect there's a lot we don't know yet, but I'm kind of expecting some pretty big plot threads from the original game may not pop up in the sequel. (snipped the rest)

No offense, bruv, but if that's the direction that the sequel's going to take, then the sequel's story is going to be actual bona fide garbage. If this is meant to be Sebastian's personal story about his daughter, then I have no idea how Tango gets away with not following the plot thread involving Myra, since she's Sebastian's wife and the mother of his goddamn child, who is at the center of the whole story. I also don't understand how they'll be pulling off flashbacks (as confirmed at the E3 exhibit) without the inclusion of Joseph, who was such a major, major part of Sebastian's life both before and after the fire. John Johanas would have to become the storytelling version of Phoenix Wright in terms of pulling crazy bullshit out of his ass in order to get me to believe that Lily has no memory of her Uncle Joseph, or that Seb wouldn't miss or want him by his side at all and manifest him in some way inside of STEM.

Maybe Ruvik takes a back seat, sure, but I have such a hard time buying the idea that he'll just be completely absent, since gameplay trailers have already revealed that we're going to be traveling back into Ruvik's STEM at some point. This blog post even says that Lily has no knowledge of anything that happened in TEW1, so her STEM won't be reflective of anything in TEW1... but we know that Laura's returning, and we've already seen an image of Sebastian's TEW1 self dead in a chair. We've even seen split-second reveals of reused levels from the first game. So how could those things exist within Lily's STEM without meddling from Ruvik, who is omnipresent and currently the only person capable of conscious influence within STEM?

We've also already seen concept art of him, too, so. You know. There's that.

Comparing TEW2 to old school survival horror sequels makes no sense because TEW2 is a direct sequel picking up from the exact spot that the first game left off, following the exact same protagonist. RE2, SH2, and FF2 don't do this. Again, if TEW2 is meant to be about Sebastian's character, then any storyteller worth his salt (which I firmly believe Johanas is) knows that a protagonist especially is defined by the relationships he has with people, both present and past, and that a reader/player can't understand or sympathize with where a hero is going unless they understand where he's been. Myra, Joseph, and Ruvik are such major, major, major parts of Sebastian's character that the thought of axing them from the sequel entirely is so alien to me that I may as well be trying to envision the face of God.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Autoignition wrote:Wow. At some point between TEW1 and TEW2, Juli just kind of morphed into Jill Valentine. She looks completely different.

Rikitatsu wrote:If I understand this correctly, Sebastian wasn't lured to beacon, he was a "scientific collateral" ?

The article contradicts itself. At first it says that Sebastian was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but then in like the very next paragraph it says that he got pulled in because of Juli. And then it goes back to saying that it was just an unfortunate coincidence again.

I also noticed that this blog post doesn't actually say anything new or really anything different at all from the crap that Pete Hines was spouting at E3. The author of this article probably never actually played TEW, honestly. It looks like she was given a list of bullet points by Bethesda to flesh out, and that's that.

Rikitatsu wrote:Plus, I fear the bit about familiar characters returning is paving the way for the absence of Joseph in the next game.

Bethesda's not going to confirm anything without a specific press release with accompanying media about a character reveal. If you re-read that section with a critical eye, it's a whole lot of words for what basically boils down to, "I personally don't know, but Bethesda wants me to push our new content to attract a bigger audience."

Johanas went out of his way to confirm Joseph's alive status, and we've already seen concept art of him for the sequel. If Joseph isn't in this game, I will personally give you $20, Riki. :lol:

Dusk Golem wrote:There's a few things about how Sebastian originally got in STEM that raises questions. The FAQ does make it sound like Sebastian and Joseph only ended up here because of Kidman, but then I think there's a bit more to it than that. However the original game does imply he was only put in accidentally, like in Chapter 10 of the original in one of the only scenes that Ruvik and Sebastian speak to each other, Ruvik mentions it's unfortunate that Sebastian had been dragged into this, but he's here now so it's up to Ruvik to do with as he pleases there. So I do get the impression Sebastian and Joseph being there wasn't part of a bigger plan, though it might have been convenient since Sebastian was looking into Mobius' activity before he knew it was theirs.

Ruvik says that because it wasn't Ruvik's plan to drag Seb & Joseph into STEM. "It's a shame they dragged you into this" is a pretty revealing statement, because it doesn't imply an accident at all. Ruvik seems to know that Mobius deliberately targeted Sebastian and sought him out and dragged him into STEM. If Sebastian ended up there by happenstance, then there were better ways to word that sentence. ("A shame you stumbled into this," etc.)

The Administrator certainly implies purpose and intent in The Consequence, too:

TA: "You were assigned to your team for a reason. Castellanos, Oda... they know nothing, but they're searching for answers."
JK: "Searching for us, you mean?"
TA: "One of us. But this may be our chance to remove them. Having all of you in one place may provide us with opportunities."

Juli also confirms this very soon after in a personnel file in the KCPD, referring to Sebastian as being someone that everyone at Mobius is "so afraid of."

I said this a bit above, but while we won't know until we know because I suspect there's a lot we don't know yet, but I'm kind of expecting some pretty big plot threads from the original game may not pop up in the sequel. (snipped the rest)

No offense, bruv, but if that's the direction that the sequel's going to take, then the sequel's story is going to be actual bona fide garbage. If this is meant to be Sebastian's personal story about his daughter, then I have no idea how Tango gets away with not following the plot thread involving Myra, since she's Sebastian's wife and the mother of his goddamn child, who is at the center of the whole story. I also don't understand how they'll be pulling off flashbacks (as confirmed at the E3 exhibit) without the inclusion of Joseph, who was such a major, major part of Sebastian's life both before and after the fire. John Johanas would have to become the storytelling version of Phoenix Wright in terms of pulling crazy bullshit out of his ass in order to get me to believe that Lily has no memory of her Uncle Joseph, or that Seb wouldn't miss or want him by his side at all and manifest him in some way inside of STEM.

Maybe Ruvik takes a back seat, sure, but I have such a hard time buying the idea that he'll just be completely absent, since gameplay trailers have already revealed that we're going to be traveling back into Ruvik's STEM at some point. This blog post even says that Lily has no knowledge of anything that happened in TEW1, so her STEM won't be reflective of anything in TEW1... but we know that Laura's returning, and we've already seen an image of Sebastian's TEW1 self dead in a chair. We've even seen split-second reveals of reused levels from the first game. So how could those things exist within Lily's STEM without meddling from Ruvik, who is omnipresent and currently the only person capable of conscious influence within STEM?

We've also already seen concept art of him, too, so. You know. There's that.

Comparing TEW2 to old school survival horror sequels makes no sense because TEW2 is a direct sequel picking up from the exact spot that the first game left off, following the exact same protagonist. RE2, SH2, and FF2 don't do this. Again, if TEW2 is meant to be about Sebastian's character, then any storyteller worth his salt (which I firmly believe Johanas is) knows that a protagonist especially is defined by the relationships he has with people, both present and past, and that a reader/player can't understand or sympathize with where a hero is going unless they understand where he's been. Myra, Joseph, and Ruvik are such major, major, major parts of Sebastian's character that the thought of axing them from the sequel entirely is so alien to me that I may as well be trying to envision the face of God.

We won't know until we know, and I personally want Joseph in too as he was my favorite character in the original. I do think Ruvik will be mentioned since he created STEM, and he could be involved because Laura obviously is, but I could see some elements from the original game being absent or in the backdrop to tell something related but distinct from the first game.

There's no way to be conclusive on anything since we only have the game's initial premise and some details on Stefano and small glimpses of things beyond that for the moment, and I do think they purposely want to keep a lot of it a mystery.

I will disagree with you that a story has to be something though, I think what matters is the execution rather than the general specifics. I do want to see some returning elements too and there are some things naturally with the set-up that will be touched on, but I also think it's fine for them to play a waiting game of sorts rather than divulging into every element the original game did. Or this could go into complete direct sequel territory and these elements become important later. However as they want to turn this into a franchise I'm pretty sure I think it's fine not to delve into everything the original game did also. For memories it depends really on how they're handled here and what Sebastian is focused on, we do have a Sebastian who has been alone and obsessive for three years, if we delve into the original game at specific moments or his police life or friendships then Joseph would play a role but I guess it'll matter what's on Sebastian's mind as I'm figuring Sebastian doesn't have direct control over this STEM (both being he never got that kind of control in the original game and he's not the Core, Lily is in this case).

I do think there's more characters than they named though, since notably they only mentioned Sebastian, Lily, and Kidman returning and didn't mention Laura, but just said they'd be focusing on mostly newer characters outside of that, but mostly doesn't mean all.

I'm open to seeing what they go with, we have the set-up for now but there are a lot of mysteries that could play into various elements of the original, or they could go in radically unexpected directions. For now all we know is we're delving more into Sebastian as a character, we'll be learning more about Mobius and Kidman I presume, more about what happened to Lily, I'm pretty sure the cult from the original game or something related to that like some subversion of the cult is in the game in some form, and for some reason Laura is around. I'm sure there's more related as well, but those would be the four definite connections so far, that and there seems to be at least one section where Sebastian goes to events from the original game probably as a memory he experiences in STEM.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jul 14, 2017 7:10 pm

I didn't say that they had to relitigate every little thing from the original game, and frankly I would be mad if they did because it would be a colossal waste of time. But to think that there'd be zero appearances from characters like Myra, Ruvik, and Joseph is outlandish to me. Especially because, like I said, we already have concept art of Joseph and Ruvik. We actually have extensive character art for Joseph, with multiple different concept iterations for his new look before finally settling on a final design. The fact that that exists pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

But from a storytelling standpoint, if we want to draw parallels with RE, I largely see Sebastian as TEW's Chris. They couldn't (and didn't) continue Chris's story without Wesker. Chris became obsessive over what happened in RE1 in a way that Jill didn't; he couldn't let it go, it consumed his life, and he was ready and able and did ice people (Claire and to a lesser extent Jill) out of his life in pursuit of the truth and closure. Sebastian's much the same way -- in a lot of ways. He walked away from TEW1 knowing that Ruvik was connected to Mobius in some way, and I find the notion of him just letting the whole Ruvik thing go to be utterly baffling -- especially since he was ready to lay the blame at Ruvik's feet for everything in his final confrontation with Juli before the final boss fight. ("Bullshit. It's Ruvik. He's the one who--") If they renege on his obsessive behavior just to focus on dumb father/daughter bullshit in the sequel, that's a storytelling and characterization problem. A big one.

But also like Chris, while he's stubborn and obsessive, he's also protective and loyal to a fault. The way that Bethesda marketing focuses on Sebastian's soreness at Juli just being concerned with the whole "dragged him into STEM" thing is dishonest. Sebastian wasn't really mad about that when he confronted her at the end of the first game. His beef was, "You killed Joseph and you shot me." His guilt about Joseph's "death" is so palpable that an entire chapter of the game opens with him in denial about it, and an argument could be made that all of chapter 14 is storming in order to reflect Sebastian's emotional state. If we actually get to see Juli going to Sebastian and convincing him to go back into STEM, and if in that scene somehow Joseph's name doesn't come up, I'm going to blow a fuse. Bethesda would be dropping major parts of Sebastian's character for the sake of what, exactly? Just for the sake of not alienating new players? And to push this new storyline surrounding him for the $$$$ instead of giving us the proper sequel and character exploration surrounding him that we deserve?

Delving more into Sebastian's character means delving more into these aspects of him. Maybe I'm just spoiled from the way that Yakuza handles Kiryu's relationship with his daughter, but there needs to be a better hook into Sebastian's search for Lily than just, "well, she's the product of his sperm, so..." because that's just lazy storytelling, if so. Lily's "death" ruined his life long before Ruvik got a chance to extra ruin it between TEW1 and TEW2, and players need to fully understand why it hurts so much for Sebastian to be alone and badgeless. Joseph is a huge part of that, because Joseph is the only one who stood by Sebastian's side -- the only person who really actually loved him -- throughout his first mental breakdown, and now things are even worse, and Joseph's not there. It's a big deal; it's not just some minor part of Sebastian's character that Bethesda can sweep under the rug. Joseph's character is tied to Sebastian's sense of paranoia and his inability to trust others, because those two loved each other so much, and yet Sebastian felt as though Joseph betrayed him -- yet still Joseph was the only person that Sebastian could trust in STEM. It's very emotionally evocative, it's very human, it's very relatable, and it's so important to understanding the way Sebastian perceives the world and his place in it.

I don't want TEW to be RE. I enjoy drawing parallels between the two, but at the end of the day RE is an inconsistent mess of a narrative and kind of has been since before Mikami left Capcom. Players should demand that TEW hold itself to a higher standard, because game narratives have evolved since 1996, expectations have risen, and competitive market quality demands that TEW do better and be better.

I'm just so tired. I'm so tired of this happening to game series that I love. It happened to Assassin's Creed, it happened to Uncharted, it happened to Diablo, it happened to a whole bunch of other franchises that really meant something and were special in either the way they told stories or the stories that they told. Publishers kick narrative consistency to the curb in chase of the almighty dollar, and I'm just tired.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jul 15, 2017 4:38 am

Autoignition wrote:The article contradicts itself. At first it says that Sebastian was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but then in like the very next paragraph it says that he got pulled in because of Juli. And then it goes back to saying that it was just an unfortunate coincidence again.

They could very well be retconning some details, they probably think they can get away with it since most people didn't understand the story very well (and they'd probably be right).

I have nothing against a focus on Sebastian and Lily, but it's straight up BS if they decide to exclude Joseph and Ruvik from the game... They won't be cut from the narrative as a whole (At the very LEAST, they will be in flashbacks or Files/Documents), but I really hope they're part of the actual game.

Also the fact that Juli has an in-game 3D model bodes well that she might not be just a voice in a radio.
Rikitatsu

Return to News and Updates