New The Evil Within 2 tidbits from NeoGAF insider Kiri

(Latest news and updates)

Re: New The Evil Within 2 tidbits from NeoGAF insider Kiri

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 04, 2017 12:34 am

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we should've seen Laura's role in TEW2 a mile away. She is basically Ruvik's reason for living, her importance to the story is even bigger now that he got out of STEM.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Jun 04, 2017 7:07 am

I mean. I'm not really shocked to hear that Laura's coming back, since she was the inspiration behind the development of STEM in the first place. I just never really thought about it or her before now because when it comes to characters I'm genuinely invested in and want to see return, she's way the hell down on the list.

Dusk Golem wrote:So my personal theory right now is that we probably won't see a whole lot more of Ruvik's interpretation of Laura, since keep in mind the Laura we see in all of the original game is Ruvik's mentalscape version of her and not actually her. But since Laura still exists in the real world, and Ruvik escaped into the real world, maybe the Laura we'll come to know in the sequel will be drastically different than the one we knew in the original game.

This is assuming that Laura gets revived from her coma, though. If she comes back as a character and not just as a monster, it might still just be in flashbacks. Which would still be nice. We didn't really get too much of a grip on her personality in the first game beyond, "she was nice to and loved her brother even though he was a little weirdo."

One thing I've thought about is if entities could change forms in the mindscape, Ruvik kind of does this towards the end of the game, but more dramatically maybe and not just for the final boss. I kind of take more Laura to both mean her character, as in who she is and not just Ruvik's monster form of her, will play a bigger role, and that Laura's monster will, but maybe Laura's monster isn't specifically as we once knew her.

These are all just my thoughts on this though.

I'm not sure I follow on this one. Can you explain a little more?
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jun 04, 2017 11:32 am

Autoignition wrote:I mean. I'm not really shocked to hear that Laura's coming back, since she was the inspiration behind the development of STEM in the first place. I just never really thought about it or her before now because when it comes to characters I'm genuinely invested in and want to see return, she's way the hell down on the list.

Dusk Golem wrote:So my personal theory right now is that we probably won't see a whole lot more of Ruvik's interpretation of Laura, since keep in mind the Laura we see in all of the original game is Ruvik's mentalscape version of her and not actually her. But since Laura still exists in the real world, and Ruvik escaped into the real world, maybe the Laura we'll come to know in the sequel will be drastically different than the one we knew in the original game.

This is assuming that Laura gets revived from her coma, though. If she comes back as a character and not just as a monster, it might still just be in flashbacks. Which would still be nice. We didn't really get too much of a grip on her personality in the first game beyond, "she was nice to and loved her brother even though he was a little weirdo."

One thing I've thought about is if entities could change forms in the mindscape, Ruvik kind of does this towards the end of the game, but more dramatically maybe and not just for the final boss. I kind of take more Laura to both mean her character, as in who she is and not just Ruvik's monster form of her, will play a bigger role, and that Laura's monster will, but maybe Laura's monster isn't specifically as we once knew her.

These are all just my thoughts on this though.

I'm not sure I follow on this one. Can you explain a little more?

The whole point of STEM was to transfer Laura into another body and give a place Ruvik and Laura could spend together out of the shells of their burnt bodies, that was Ruvik's objective with the project. Since he can confirm STEM was a success as he himself has now obtained another body and left into the real world, I can't imagine a scenario where one of the things Ruvik wouldn't do once he was free was use what he's gained and learned to free Laura from her vegetative body.

I also imagine that there will be some interesting ways Laura's psyche has ended up from years being trapped in her own mind and not able to act out in the real world, which might be interesting to explore in a game about exploring the mind. With how Ruvik was scarred and twisted from his upbringing, I can't imagine it was any different for Laura and allowing that to fester and cycle around in her own mind over a long period of time I think has a lot of interesting possibilities.

Now for the second comment, you know how in The Evil Within landscapes change at the tip of a hat? It's not random as Ruvik has some control here, and his mind can begin to infect others inside the landscape as well, as we see in the Haunted and Joseph. However, with so much of the world being able to change form one thing that the original game didn't do much of how the beings change forms (outside of people within the STEM becoming 'infected; by Ruvik's mind and becoming the Haunted). There's reasons for this, but it's demonstrated on at least two occasions that monsters concocted within the STEM can take on different forms within it, but both are in final battle contexts. Ruvik merges with the final boss monster at the end of the main game, and in the DLC with Kidman we see more directly the Administrator take on different forms. Most of the monsters in the Evil Within are related to people who were sucked into the STEM or are linked to Ruvik's subconscious feelings and memories, but Ruvik has stabilized within the STEM and has decent control within it. Kidman does not have this same control or even full understanding of the STEM, and what makes the Administrator fascinating I think is that it's implied to be mostly of Kidman's concoction rather than Ruvik's (Ruvik knew of the Administrator of Mobius obviously, but Ruvik's relationship and interpretation of the Admin is that of a fool, and this doesn't reflect in what Kidman see's), and she has far less control than Ruvik does in the STEM (partially because of Ruvik's control over it, but also her own fears she doesn't have a hold of and somewhat consume her). The Administrator basically is Kidman's fears of Mobius, herself, and her position manifested (as we know the Administrator isn't actually in the STEM), and unlike every other monster in the game it shifts its form throughout the experience. Sometimes more like an actual human, sometimes more like a shadow, sometimes more like a monster, etc. I personally believe this is because the Administrator is from Kidman and her wavering trust in Mobius and uncertainty and fears about herself and her position, but because she's in the STEM it takes on a physical form and her 'mindscape' isn't as solid or collected as Ruvik's.

So while the landscapes change up a lot, the monsters don't but I believe that's because most of the monsters stem (pun unintended) from Ruvik. And Laura is concocted from Ruvik's memories of her, the Reborn Laura monster we meet throughout Evil Within is just an extension of Ruvik and not Laura herself. So my theory is if Laura is indeed playing a bigger role in the sequel, we both will meet the 'true' Laura and not just Ruvik's version of her as Ruvik's undoubted goal once he is out of STEM would be to go after his sister, as that's literally his primary objective. And I feel we'll probably see the real Laura, either with her planted in a new body or through exploring the subconscious of a vegetable person in part. However, as a secondary side to this, as Sebastian and all of them are still effected by Ruvik and connected to him I can imagine seeing the monsters in Ruvik's mind manifest in the real world to those still connected to him, and Ruvik's mental version of Laura may change as he begins to form new memories of her. The Laura we meet is built off of his hate and his memories of Laura, but what if Ruvik forms new memories of her and his emotions change? Then his version of Laura should also change.

The low-line of what I'm saying is I feel we'll both get to know the real Laura rather than Ruvik's dotting image of her, and Ruvik's mindscape may very well shift itself now that it's getting exposure to new things in the real world rather than being trapped in a mental landscape for years.
Last edited by Dusk Golem on Jun 04, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jun 04, 2017 11:46 am

Reviving Laura into a new body...

Hey, Riki. Remember what I said about めらめら? And the only character associated with めらめら up until this point is Laura (and Ruvik).

めら a Kid...

Oh boy they better not be doing what I suddenly think they're doing.
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 04, 2017 12:37 pm

You mean

Ruvik's going to transfer Laura's consciousness into Kidman? Hm, Not sure... I don't think it's likely...

I'd love for Laura to be an actual character in the second game tho, preferably a villian. There would be some sick Code Veronica vibes I'm sure.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Jun 04, 2017 12:52 pm

That's exactly what I mean. I've had a really bad feeling ever since that hiragana got translated...
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 04, 2017 12:58 pm

The reason I think that's unlikely is because Kidman is a main character, and likely a fan favorite. If they
transfer Laura's mind into her, it will be almost as if she's dead... Unless Laura's consciousness somehow coexists with her own. Like a split personality or something... Either way, a lame turn of events
Rikitatsu

Postby Rousseau » Jun 05, 2017 9:35 am

Where does めらめら come from?
Rousseau

Postby Autoignition » Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

めらめら is onomatopoeic in Japanese. It's the sound effect for bursting into flames. The only two characters to do that in TEW, so far, are Laura and Ruvik.
Autoignition

Postby ghostcall » Jun 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Does that mean we are playing new Character now?
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates