The Evil Within 2 Announced! Release Date and Media

(Latest news and updates)

Re: The Evil Within 2 Announced! Release Date and Media

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Okay, so I am still piecing together my memory but I remembered something and checked and yeah.

So at the end of Chapter 6, a bit after the dog fight you get near the chapel and there's a secret I've never heard anyone else mention. If you stay by the chapel without entering for a while and look up at the windows you can hear a weird sound of a girl sniffling hard, I experienced it on accident on my first run, can see it at this time:

phpBB [video]

But I was curious and tested it on my second run and got it to happen again.

And I need to look further but there's an implication I am going to dig through where I connected this with Lilly because there was something in the game about kids going missing, though I need to freshen up my memory as I don't remember enough but I'm beginning to remember a bit more going over my old blind playthrough.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm

I legit think your game might be bugged, because A) that sounds more like Leslie than anything else (it certainly doesn't sound like a five year old girl) and B) I just fired up a chapter 6 save, god moded through Sentinel, made my way up to the church, and... nothing. I still have Sebastian idling outside of the church, staring up at the windows, and nothing.

I feel like if this was really a thing, someone else somewhere would have found it and mentioned it by now. I mean, hell, man, I've played this game somewhere in the ballpark of 10-30 times on two separate platforms, I have over 200 hours clocked in, and I've never heard this. Nor have I heard of anyone else who has.

In the two minutes or so that it's taken me to organize my thoughts and type out this post, I still have heard nothing from the game.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 05, 2017 4:32 pm

So half typing this from me recollecting and responding as I read your response in the middle of this. Could be a glitch, again I don't know except I've gotten it to trigger twice.

OKAY, rewatching I'm beginning to remember my theory.

So I think where I originally started was the Sebastian-Ruvik connection, by which I mean something I noted as the game went on is that Sebastian and Ruvik have the whole, 'two sides of the same coin' thing going on, both are very committed, both are a bit selfish and do things for their own ends (Sebastian mentions bending the police rulebook and isn't a straight cop and goes off his gut and justifies it when it's convenient for him), kind of passionate but kind of assholes, and both of them lost someone close to them in a fire, Ruvik lost his sister in the barn fire and Sebastian lost his daughter in the house fire. Of course, we know Laura survived and was just in a coma as we learn later so it's not the best comparison but I do remember making that comparison wondering if Sebastian's daughter was alive. That's not 'proof' or anything sustaining the theory, but was something I remember thinking about some.

I also know I didn't think it was coincidence the first thing you do in the church area is go through a burning building, I know that directly doesn't mean anything but I made the connection the first thing you do when entering the 'cult' area of the game is go through a building on fire.

And I'm starting to remember a bit more. So Sebastian talks about how Myra has basically needed to be a single mom for three years and how people in this area have gone missing a lot and that Myra needs to come back to the KCPD Missing Persons Bureau. As you mentioned, there's a lot of people going missing and then Myra leaves a letter after she goes missing saying to get justice for Lily and her, which you could interpret as either death or going somewhere, and as we know Myra is involved with Mobius. But then this never added up to me: The fire is implied over and over again not to be an accident, but then why would they kill Lilly? Like the only reason would be to get back at the parents, but Sebastian wasn't involved and so it might have been Myra, but killing Lilly wouldn't make her cooperate. I remember thinking over this, like the motive to kill Lily is simply not there, the death by fire being a cover-up makes a lot more sense and the game evades giving enough details about it all to be conclusive on much in the end. Plus through the game you hear about missing people and deaths, all connected to STEM and MOBIUS/the cult. Plus it's the order you get these files in Chapter 9, you first get a newspaper about a fire at an estate where Laura survives but was left in a vegetative state and the source of the fire is unknown. Then shortly after you get this newspaper, once you enter the mansion you find a file about Lily in a fire and the source of the fire is unknown but they believe that Lily and the babysitter died. Then you find a missing poster person for Ruben, who apparently disappeared in the fire and no one has seen him since then. Then you find a newspaper about bodies near the estate which can't easily be identified (this is of course Ruvik's experiments, but I digress). Then later we learn that Ruvik's old house was burnt to the ground after a 'convenient' killing of his parents in a car accident and he's been missing, and there's suspected arson. Then in a later newspaper there's ANOTHER fire for an outreach center using foreign intelligence.

There was a lot of arson in Evil Within.

I think part of it is how they order the notes, which definitely is making the comparison between Laura in the first and Lily in the fire because the order players would pick up the notes alternates back and forth for Laura > Lily > Ruben disappeared without a trace > Lilly "died".
Last edited by Dusk Golem on Jul 05, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusk Golem

Postby Kimurion » Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Dusk Golem I think the reason why you thought Lilly was abducted by the cult was wishfull thinking, really. You thought at one point that the story with the little girl was cool and you wished the story with her would be more interesting so you started seeing clues she was still alive where there weren't. If you really want to see something you'll see clues everywhere. But what you hear at the church is a bug ( it sounds too loud and you hear it while the screen goes black, so really look like something you weren't supposed to hear to me ) and definitly Leslie. I mean, Leslie just came in the church with Kidman and when you do get in, you even hear them talk because they were THAT near. So no wonder you can actually hear him outside of the church, bug or not.

In video games you can doubt every death. There is so much video games that bring back characters that were clearly dead, so yeah Lilly being alive wasn't a surprise to me either. But I like the theory that she actually really died, and Mobius is pulling this whole " your daughter is still alive " thing to lure Sebastian in, or for whatever reason.
Kimurion

Steam: Kimurion

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Kimurion wrote:Dusk Golem I think the reason why you thought Lilly was abducted by the cult was wishfull thinking, really. You thought at one point that the story with the little girl was cool and you wished the story with her would be more interesting so you started seeing clues she was still alive where there weren't. If you really want to see something you'll see clues everywhere. But what you hear at the church is a bug ( it sounds too loud and you hear it while the screen goes black, so really look like something you weren't supposed to hear to me ) and definitly Leslie. I mean, Leslie just came in the church with Kidman and when you do get in, you even hear them talk because they were THAT near. So no wonder you can actually hear him outside of the church, bug or not.

In video games you can doubt every death. There is so much video games that bring back characters that were clearly dead, so yeah Lilly being alive wasn't a surprise to me either. But I like the theory that she actually really died, and Mobius is pulling this whole " your daughter is still alive " thing to lure Sebastian in, or for whatever reason.

It's not that either, in fact I actually prefer when deaths are permanent and I'm a twisted fuck who likes media not shying away from killing kids if they're going to go there, just the fire of both Ruvik and Sebastian's side gets brought up over and over again in the game and there's a reoccuring thing in the files about fires, both of these and a couple others. My painted impression at the time was that Lily was taken by the cult, though the full evidence isn't there but that was my honest painted impression when beating the game and I had thought it for years.

So come Evil Within 2 and we see Lily in a forest with a priest and a cult I wasn't really surprised at all, especially as the church was kidnapping a ton of people and so many people went missing in the original game 'mysteriously'. Plus the game I think kind of directly compares Sebastian and Ruvik's fires that changed their life as they swip-swap them in Chapter 9 of the game about both back and forth for a bit, remembering that makes me sure drawing that parallel definitely wasn't a coincidence.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jul 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Actually, if there's anyone whose fate is absurdly ambiguous in TEW, it's Laura. The newspaper clipping reports her as being in a vegetative coma, but the model viewer lists her as dead, and Ruvik seemed to be under the impression that she was dead, too. That is, until he sees her in STEM and says, "Of course you couldn't be dead." Though, of course, that could just be wishful thinking and delusion on his part.
Autoignition

Postby Kimurion » Jul 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Autoignition wrote:Actually, if there's anyone whose fate is absurdly ambiguous in TEW, it's Laura. The newspaper clipping reports her as being in a vegetative coma, but the model viewer lists her as dead, and Ruvik seemed to be under the impression that she was dead, too. That is, until he sees her in STEM and says, "Of course you couldn't be dead." Though, of course, that could just be wishful thinking and delusion on his part.

I assumed she was in a coma at first, and then died ( because her injuries were too much, or sometimes people wake up from their coma to die a few hours/days later, I don't really know how that works and her medical conditions aren't really mentioned ). But it's just me trying to make sense of her unclear situation. They said she's gonna be more important in the sequel, so I wonder about her fate. Since they've already " brought back to life " Lilly, are they gonna do the same with Laura or something. I don't know, I guess it will be very interesting to see what they have in store for her.
Kimurion

Steam: Kimurion

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Autoignition wrote:Actually, if there's anyone whose fate is absurdly ambiguous in TEW, it's Laura. The newspaper clipping reports her as being in a vegetative coma, but the model viewer lists her as dead, and Ruvik seemed to be under the impression that she was dead, too. That is, until he sees her in STEM and says, "Of course you couldn't be dead." Though, of course, that could just be wishful thinking and delusion on his part.

Ruvik was 100% delusional about seeing Laura in STEM as far as I'm concerned, him and his creepy sister beauty talk. Laura's not connected to the machine and we see plenty of "Laura" (given monster form and not Ruvik's gushing beauty form he writes about) in the original game ourselves, my headcanon is going to chalk that up to being the ghost of Ruvik's creepy attraction to his sister.

So this has been talked about some, its obvious Laura has some big role in the sequel. The insider from GAF mentioned her role was a lot bigger in the sequel and we see her multiple times in the footage released so far in three different forms. I don't really know 100% what to make of it yet as all of it seems to be her as a monster and I don't think Laura thinks of herself as a monster. I personally think Reborn Laura being in the game is from Sebastian since the sequence we see her in seems to be a direct callback to Chapter 10 of Evil Within from the two flashes we've seen of her, but I don't believe the "New Laura" in the cloak/bag/whatever she's wearing is from Sebastian, nor is the weird giant Laura built up from bodies with multiple faces and sawblades. The implication is either someone connected to this STEM sure thinks a lot about Laura (I mean, I know he's not shown yet and we don't know enough to say certainly, but there's no way Ruvik doesn't play some role in the sequel and he'd be the most likely candidate for obsessing over Laura), or Laura has something to do with this STEM. We know there's been a lot of people connected to this STEM, and if Laura was in a vegetable state I can't imagine Mobius wouldn't snatch her up as being the sister to Ruvik, especially as they apparently snatched Lily up. But as I said before, I don't think Laura would be monster-ing herself up... Probably/maybe? I mean, who knows really?

Of course, we can't do anything but speculate for now. Strangely while there's a lot of questions to be had about Lily and Laura I think, the one I'm most curious about right now is Kidman. The set-up here is strange, Sebastian has lost grip on his life even more than he already had before the events of the original game for three years and has gone full-on to losing himself to the bottle, crazily looking for leads on Mobius, jobless, and no one believes him, and then suddenly Kidman shows up saying his daughter is alive out of the blue and she can help him save her? So as we've played as Kidman and know her better there's the natural instinct to think she's telling the truth about all of this and is doing this as a way to make-up to Sebastian for all lies, betrayal, and the hell she's put him through... But then this set-up is very questionable from all angles. Like to begin, why is she sending Sebastian to go into STEM instead of herself going in or something? Why disappear and then suddenly reappear three years later with this? In the story trailer we see the big STEM device and Kidman monitoring it, why the hell do the two of them have this big period of time to just sneak into Mobius' hidden facility and let Sebastian get himself into STEM and Kidman monitors the whole thing, like wouldn't Mobius have their prized possession and experiment they've been fiddling with for years be in some way protected and monitored at all times? And I kind of doubt it'd be single person shifts or something.

There's a lot sketchy I'm sure we'll learn more about, I kind of think though this whole situation is supposed to be sketchy. And I think there's a lot of things that are supposed to be 'off' about this set-up, like for instance do we know specifically all of this is real? We don't know much to say, but while I have some here and there theories I'm keeping an open mind to where this sequel might go. I have a sneaking suspicion then narrative has a few big twists in store with their bigger focus on narrative this time.
Last edited by Dusk Golem on Jul 05, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jul 05, 2017 5:26 pm

I think a lot of us are falling into the trap of reading too much into what Kiri said on GAF. All he said was "expect more Laura." That doesn't necessarily mean that she's going to be heavily plot important or that she's going to be anything other than another boss fight. All it means is... she's in the game, they made more of her, probably because she was frequently highlighted as being the scariest part of the first game.

With regards to Kidman, she has a very revealing line in her voiceover narration in the story trailer: "You don't say no to [Mobius]." That's what leads me to believe that the whole Lily thing is a bullshit line that Mobius is feeding Sebastian, and they're using Kidman to do it. You don't say no to Mobius not because of what they'd do to you if you tried to say no, but because sometimes they manipulate you and confront you with things that you would never logically say no to in the first place.
Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Autoignition wrote:I think a lot of us are falling into the trap of reading too much into what Kiri said on GAF. All he said was "expect more Laura." That doesn't necessarily mean that she's going to be heavily plot important or that she's going to be anything other than another boss fight. All it means is... she's in the game, they made more of her, probably because she was frequently highlighted as being the scariest part of the first game.

With regards to Kidman, she has a very revealing line in her voiceover narration in the story trailer: "You don't say no to [Mobius]." That's what leads me to believe that the whole Lily thing is a bullshit line that Mobius is feeding Sebastian, and they're using Kidman to do it. You don't say no to Mobius not because of what they'd do to you if you tried to say no, but because sometimes they manipulate you and confront you with things that you would never logically say no to in the first place.

It could very well be the case for Laura, but it's weird to begin with that she's in this STEM at all. As I just said, I think seeing Laura from the original TEW is from Sebastian's memories as we know Sebastian will be facing himself more in this game and all of that and I think that the whole segment is Sebastian going through a memory of his from his original time in STEM, but I kind of doubt the two other Laura's we've seen have to do with him. We won't know until we know, but she was featured prominently in gameplay bits we've received so far and she did go from having one form to three forms. But it's hard to say why she's even here until we know more, could be Ruvik, could be Laura is alive and connected to this STEM with Lilly, could be Sebastian is a fucking self-destructive psychopath trying to destroy himself, it's hard to say.

I actually am impressed with something on Kidman. After having her as a playable character for a good few hours and making her more relatable and sympathetic, with what we have so far of TEW2 I have no idea if I can trust her or not still. That's very hard to pull off, having a charactr we've come to know a lot more now and then in the sequel throw her into questionable territory all over again if she's friend, foe, somewhere in-between? I do personally think this whole set-up is by Mobius myself since there's too much convenience in what we know, but again we won't know until we know.

I also think Mobius barters not always through threats but through opportunities, we see this some in the DLC but I think there's reason why characters like Kidman and Myra work under Mobius and they have a big thing for Unity, though.

The whole situation could be something crazier though, like if we want to go a bit deeper maybe Sebastian is already in STEM by the time the game begins, maybe he was the one the whole STEM world was built around (which can make some sense if he somehow walked away from STEM with Ruvik, got out alive and sane, and is still connected to Ruvik in some way), but he thinks he's on a journey to save his daughter because that's what he wants to be able to do to find purpose. We won't know until we know.
Dusk Golem

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates