The Evil Within 2 Announced! Release Date and Media

(Latest news and updates)

Re: The Evil Within 2 Announced! Release Date and Media

Postby Autoignition » Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Dusk Golem wrote:It could very well be the case for Laura, but it's weird to begin with that she's in this STEM at all. As I just said, I think seeing Laura from the original TEW is from Sebastian's memories as we know Sebastian will be facing himself more in this game and all of that and I think that the whole segment is Sebastian going through a memory of his from his original time in STEM, but I kind of doubt the two other Laura's we've seen have to do with him. We won't know until we know, but she was featured prominently in gameplay bits we've received so far and she did go from having one form to three forms. But it's hard to say why she's even here until we know more, could be Ruvik, could be Laura is alive and connected to this STEM with Lilly, could be Sebastian is a fucking self-destructive psychopath trying to destroy himself, it's hard to say.

Someone didn't read my story analysis of the trailer. :lol: Ruvik's consciousness is omnipresent inside of STEM. Constantly. No matter what. As long as his consciousness exists (and it very much still does), his presence and influence is there. It doesn't matter who's at the core or if no one is at the core -- Ruvik is able to get in and control and manipulate whatever he wants.

Since Laura is such a huge part of Ruvik's focus, motivations, and passions (ew), it only makes sense that she would not only return as a boss, but also grow, evolve, and develop over time. It's a very cheap and easy way to bring Laura back as a recurring boss battle throughout the franchise's lifespan, but I'm not going to complain because Laura's rad and I like her a lot.

I actually am impressed with something on Kidman. After having her as a playable character for a good few hours and making her more relatable and sympathetic, with what we have so far of TEW2 I have no idea if I can trust her or not still. That's very hard to pull off, having a charactr we've come to know a lot more now and then in the sequel throw her into questionable territory all over again if she's friend, foe, somewhere in-between? I do personally think this whole set-up is by Mobius myself since there's too much convenience in what we know, but again we won't know until we know.

As long as Kidman is taking marching orders from Mobius, I don't believe a goddamn thing that comes out of her mouth. I'll be looking for hints of honesty and subtlety throughout the entire sequel, because I do sincerely believe that she wants to help Sebastian and rebel against Mobius, but as long as she's on their payroll, she can't do so openly. Same thing with Myra.

And actually, I think of Myra as being a sort of prototype for what we can probably expect from Kidman in the sequel. Myra's very business-focused in almost all of her dialogue; she's tough and cold and single-minded and doesn't have time for bullshit. But there is that one moment of weakness in her -- that one little part where her confidence disappears and warmth and sorrow and guilt creep into her voice -- and that's when she's asking Kidman about Sebastian (and giving her advice on how to deal with him).

Kidman and Myra are with Mobius, but their worldviews aren't fully aligned with them by any means, and both women have things in their lives that they want to protect from Mobius. Ironically enough, for both of those women, one of those things happens to be Sebastian.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby liontamer » Jul 06, 2017 2:37 am

With how little we know so far, I'm also leaning towards the theory of Kidman betraying Sebastian again with the false promise of Lily being alive. However, I would also be pleasantly surprised if that does happen, because the writers would need some serious balls if they are to take a major character like Kidman and pull something off like that..

I mean, here's someone who realized that she did wrong through the first game and then tried to rectify some of it by "helping" Seb out and sympathizing with him. That's some serious development for a character IMO.
Now, if it turns out that after all of this, she was STILL loyal to Mobius and lied to Seb again just to lure him into STEM...? That sounds too good to be true, but it is also brilliantly evil. It could totally cement her as the most despised villain of the whole franchise.
Last edited by liontamer on Jul 06, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby Autoignition » Jul 06, 2017 2:39 am

In all fairness to Kidman, she might not even know she's lying to him. Or she could have a deeper, personal, more secretive reason for humoring Mobius's wishes and bringing Sebastian in. Who knows.
Autoignition

Postby berto » Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Not sure where to slap this but here you go

phpBB [video]
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Autoignition » Jul 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Decent vid. First half of that video is actually pretty on point. Gamespot really put into words what I couldn't re: the gameplay pitfalls.

Though, unsurprisingly, they lost me with their ragging on the story/characters. :lol: And then pulled me back in with the mini j/o session about Clair de Lune because honestly that song better be in the sequel.
Autoignition

Postby liontamer » Jul 12, 2017 8:08 pm

I can understand criticism directed towards the technical shortcomings of the game, but it seems to me that the guy couldn't handle the tense nature of the game. He's right about certain things, but he actually asked for more ammo... I don't know what to say to that.

People have also lost the patience to learn about a story through journals, which is a damn shame.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby eaterofsoulsxx » Jul 13, 2017 5:35 pm

liontamer wrote:but he actually asked for more ammo... I don't know what to say to that.

I'm sorry but isn't this a survival horror game? If he wants to go out and about with guns a blazing then he can go play something else. This is a survival horror game, not a shoot em up game, he doesn't seem to understand that in survival horror, scarce ammo and other things are the staples of the sub-genre.
eaterofsoulsxx
have no fear.

Favorite Title: Anything really.

Postby Autoignition » Jul 14, 2017 4:53 am

I actually kind of want to cut him some slack on the request for more ammo, because I totally get where he was coming from. My first time through, I actually had to start chapter 6 over from the beginning because I legit did not have the ammo required to do enough damage to the Sadist at the end of the sniper gauntlet. That was super frustrating, because there was nothing wrong with my strategy for the fight, I just numerically could not do enough damage to him in order to progress.

But I also disagree that a staple of survival horror is scarce ammo. I actually can't think of a single survival horror game where ammo was scarce (I recently replayed RE2 and realized I had like 400 handgun bullets and close to 200 shotgun shells towards the end of the game, it was nuts). It was just that, with the resource management aspect of the oldschool games, you never knew when you should actually take that ammo with you or leave it in the item box in order to free up your inventory slots for other things. And with stuff like Silent Hill, it was a non-factor all together because most of the combat was melee-based to begin with and didn't need ammo.

So TEW tried to modernize it and legitimately give you less ammo in lieu of proper resource management, and it led to problems like the one I had in chapter 6. If you can't get past a part without defeating all of the enemies and you don't have any other means of attack besides shooting, the game has an obligation to make sure it doesn't fuck its players over and halt progress. Even in worst case scenarios in oldschool survival horror, they'd at least give you a knife so that you weren't completely stranded.
Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jul 14, 2017 4:58 am

Autoignition wrote:Decent vid. First half of that video is actually pretty on point. Gamespot really put into words what I couldn't re: the gameplay pitfalls.

Though, unsurprisingly, they lost me with their ragging on the story/characters. :lol: And then pulled me back in with the mini j/o session about Clair de Lune because honestly that song better be in the sequel.

I think Clair de Lune is confirmed to be in the sequel, because in the E3 Haunted House there's a gameplay clip of Evil Within 2, and Sebastian approaches a glowing mirror like the original game and Clair De Lune is playing and gets louder when he gets closer to it.

I'm curious what the mirrors might do in this game.
Dusk Golem

Postby dan76 » Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Pre order bonus is up.

.. I won't be using the burst handgun... Think of the ammo!
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates