The Evil Within 2 Presentation Tuesday 2 PM PT

(Latest news and updates)

Re: The Evil Within 2 Presentation Today 2 PM PT

Postby Autoignition » Jun 14, 2017 4:18 pm

YOUNG CLEAN-SHAVEN SEB

MY LIBIDO HAS NOT BEEN FORTIFIED WELL ENOUGH TO HANDLE EVERYTHING THAT THIS GAME IS THROWING AT ME

sorry was that an overshare
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby DeHeerser » Jun 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:If you take control from the player, you're never gonna scare him. If the game puts me in forced walk, I know whatever horror comes up next won't really kill me. Not only that, it's boring as hell... The first game was guilty of that, and by far it was my biggest complaint.

Laura's encounters were scary...

Agree with the first part for the full 100%.

Second part, agree partially. The first two Laura boss fights were cool, full of tension. The third was cheap because of her constant one hit kills. With very long death animation to make it worse. The boss fight is a hurdle run where you trial and error each part, if you slip up for one or two seconds... One hit kill.

Survival horror is not supposed to be about one hit kills. It is about harrowing, demanding boss fights where, when you finally get through, continue with the uneasy feeling "boy didn't I lose too much ammo and health (items) in that fight?..."
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Re: The Evil Within 2 Presentation Tuesday 2 PM PT

Postby Autoignition » Jun 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Let's not act like Mikami doesn't have a history of OHKO fights in his games, though. I could rattle off several monsters in RE4 alone who have them. Not even bosses, either. Monsters. In some cases, very common monsters -- like the second form plagas that burst out of ganadaos' heads in the castle.

I always found it unreasonable that people criticize TEW for doing the exact same things that other Mikami games do. I'm not sure what the expectation was for these players.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 14, 2017 6:13 pm

DeHeerser wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:If you take control from the player, you're never gonna scare him. If the game puts me in forced walk, I know whatever horror comes up next won't really kill me. Not only that, it's boring as hell... The first game was guilty of that, and by far it was my biggest complaint.

Laura's encounters were scary...

Agree with the first part for the full 100%.

Second part, agree partially. The first two Laura boss fights were cool, full of tension. The third was cheap because of her constant one hit kills. With very long death animation to make it worse. The boss fight is a hurdle run where you trial and error each part, if you slip up for one or two seconds... One hit kill.

Survival horror is not supposed to be about one hit kills. It is about harrowing, demanding boss fights where, when you finally get through, continue with the uneasy feeling "boy didn't I lose too much ammo and health (items) in that fight?..."

Really? I thought the 3rd encounter was by far the best, and her one hit kills were present in the 1st and 2nd encounter too. The 2nd encounter is pretty great, but once you realize you could just bait her spawning into the corpse closest to you and drop a match once she appears, it becomes a bit less exciting.

DeHeerser wrote:

You shouldn't narrow what Survival Horror is about... One Hit Kills are fine depending on how they are implemented, it's one of the reasons why Laura was such a chilling opponent. Mess up and you're dead... To compensate for that, her One Hit Kill attack animation is slow, so you can run away from it. It never felt cheap or unfair.
Rikitatsu

Postby berto » Jun 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Autoignition wrote:YOUNG CLEAN-SHAVEN SEB

MY LIBIDO HAS NOT BEEN FORTIFIED WELL ENOUGH TO HANDLE EVERYTHING THAT THIS GAME IS THROWING AT ME

Down, girl.

Anyway. I never found the one hit kills a bad thing. Not in Devil May Cry, not in Resident Evil 1 or 4, not in Vanquish, not in Shadows of the Damned, and certainly not in Psychobreak. The thing about them in each game is that they are not without risk or trade off.

Nerdy crap most might not care about :ugeek: :
In DMC it takes a bit of skill and without practice they are hard to pull off. In RE1 you are putting yourself in a great deal of risk to pull off a headshot, you got to let the zombie get dangerously close. With 4 and the Damned the hoards are aggressive enough that taking them out rapidly doesn't diminish the fun. In Vanquish using the melee, which can kill enemies with one hit, leave you vulnerable and makes you easy prey.

With TEW you are already vulnerable as it is but dealing a killing blow to an enemy doesn't take you out of danger. It takes skill, patience, and a bit of luck. Not like you can't be killed in one shot, it's kinda what makes the game hard.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Berto, we're talking about one hit kills by enemies :P
Rikitatsu

Postby berto » Jun 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Berto, we're talking about one hit kills by enemies :P

That's what I get for reading off my phone on the road.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 14, 2017 7:28 pm

So whatever happened to the panel where they answer fans questions? No one is reporting on it, no one recorded it... smh.
Rikitatsu

Postby Dusk Golem » Jun 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:So whatever happened to the panel where they answer fans questions? No one is reporting on it, no one recorded it... smh.

I'm hoping they do an official upload of it later, feels weird to ask for fan questions then not let the fans see the answers.
Dusk Golem

Postby liontamer » Jun 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:You shouldn't narrow what Survival Horror is about... One Hit Kills are fine depending on how they are implemented, it's one of the reasons why Laura was such a chilling opponent. Mess up and you're dead... To compensate for that, her One Hit Kill attack animation is slow, so you can run away from it. It never felt cheap or unfair.

Agreed 100%. The Laura boss fights, especially the one in ch 10 (I think?) put me through an experience like no other game ever had. There was so much unbridled tension in that portion of the game, partly because of the music and the environment that went with it; also because of the way that the boss fight itself was constructed and how Laura would shriek each time I put her on fire... It was unforgiving and brutal, but not unbeatable, and I love it.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates