New comic based on TEW2 coming from Titan Comics

(Latest news and updates)

New comic based on TEW2 coming from Titan Comics

Postby Autoignition » Jun 15, 2017 4:16 pm

A new comic series based on the events of The Evil Within 2 has been announced, published by Titan Comics. Precious few details have been released yet, but we've gotten our first glimpse at the cover art as shown off at E3. The official synopsis reads:

"Titan Comics' new Evil Within 2 comic book series finds Detective Sebastian Castellanos still shell-shocked by the horrific events that took place at the Beacon Mental Hospital and reluctantly pulled back into Mobius' macabre world when a gruesome serial killer unleashes a new kind of hell."

The first issue is scheduled to release digitally on September 6, 2017 at a price tag of $3.99USD. Preorders will open in July.

See the full cover art at @TheEvilWithin's Twitter page.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Re: New comic based on TEW2 coming from Titan Comics

Postby Autoignition » Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I have zero reaction to this. I own the first set of TEW comics, and they're... really bad. And ludicrously non-canon, to boot. This is likely just going to be fluff meant to promote the game more than anything else.

I'm still going to buy them because I have no sense of self-control or shame.
Autoignition

Postby Rousseau » Jun 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Oh god, they were terrible! At least they had nice covers. I can't imagine that these new ones will really be based on the plot of TEW2 if they're releasing before the game.
I'm still going to buy them because I have no sense of self-control or shame.

Me too.
Rousseau

Postby Dusk Golem » Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm

I had completely forgotten the first game even had comics until just now. I am morbidly curious though.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jun 15, 2017 10:57 pm

I'll save you the trouble.

Ruvik meets some chick and thinks, "Oh, this one has potential" but STEM just kills her in the end anyway. That's it. That's the story that it took them like 5 or 6 issues to tell.
Autoignition

Postby berto » Jun 16, 2017 3:52 am

I remember reading the comics years ago but I can't remember much beyond each issue having one character die in each, the creatures from the game making cameos and I remember thinking it was an awful piece of crap. There was just nothing about it that was interesting that I couldn't find in the game but presented in a more interesting fashion. A 4 issue comic would have been a great opportunity to explore the world of the game by showing stuff you wouldn't have seen otherwise. Hopefully they'll take this opportunity to do something more interesting than telling forgettable stories that have no real impact to the game.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Rousseau » Jun 16, 2017 4:14 am

A bridging story for the 3 years between the two games would be the obvious thing to do. That would, of course, require the comic writer to do more than look at a bunch of concept art and make something up.
Rousseau

Postby Autoignition » Jun 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Updated the top post with release date and pricing info.

Feeling personally attacked that they're releasing this on my birthday. Don't mind the subtle corrosion around the edges of this post; the salt is all my own.
Autoignition

Postby Autoignition » Jul 25, 2017 8:05 pm

New details released.

The Evil Within comic takes place between The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2. It follows Sebastian as he tracks a serial killer who is murdering people in the style of Ruvik (which makes no sense... Ruvik was murdering people inside STEM - so how could this new killer be doing the same thing in the real world?). The comic is a standalone story, and I wanted it to be something personal, away from the larger conspiratorial over-arching stories of the two games.

I wanted to explore Sebastian's mind. I wanted to know how he dealt with the events of the first game. He was walking around inside someone else's head, fighting monsters, and constantly on the run for his life. What does that do to someone? How does he react to that? I know the second game jumps straight back into the action, so I thought a comic series that gave Sebastian a breather and chance to reflect would be interesting. Of course, we're not letting him have too much of a breather – he's still got a serial killer to hunt down!

Moderately impressed by the writer's canon knowledge in this response. We'll see how things go.
Autoignition

Postby Rousseau » Jul 26, 2017 4:49 am

He also says
My favorite scenes from the game were the early ones, where everything was out of order, and transitions between scenes were all out of order from a linear narrative perspective.

which doesn't bode well as that didn't happen.
Rousseau

Next

Return to News and Updates