New The Evil Within 2 Screenshots [UPDATED: 7/18]

(Latest news and updates)

Re: New The Evil Within 2 Screenshots [UPDATED: 7/18]

Postby Rikitatsu » Jul 19, 2017 1:33 am

Nemesis85 wrote:As a 3D modelling student, I am astounded how they (environment artists) have put minimal effort to create the scenes. from Japanese artists, I expected much more, but it works I guess!!!

You talking about scene composition? Or the actual graphical quality? Either way, I personally don't see anything wrong here. The game looks a lot better than the first, in general.

I would say that, if I had a gripe with the game's look so far, it would be that the art direction isn't as striking as the first game, Union City looks decent, but nothing of caliber of TEW1's village so far... Though to be fair they barely showed anything yet. Guess we'll see tomorrow...
Rikitatsu

Re: New The Evil Within 2 Screenshots [UPDATED: 7/18]

Postby Autoignition » Jul 19, 2017 7:16 am

Nah, I get what Nem's saying. The bricks behind Kidman's head in that one screenshot look straight out of last gen. Some of the textures in general just look dated, which is a little surprising because TEW1's environs were shockingly beautiful for 2014. I think we might be able to reasonably assume that they're still using idTech 5.

Honestly, I'm not too pressed about it because the character modeling and facial construction look awesome, and that can make or break a game. Yakuza 0 is a good example. The environs in Y0 were so clearly dated and most of the textures had no business being in a PS4 game, but the characters looked phenomenal, so the backgrounds faded into the... well... background. :lol:

This gif has a pretty good example of what I'm talking about:

Look at how shitty the background is compared to the character. Those bottles especially, holy fuckballs. But you don't really notice it unless you're looking, because the focus of the shot is on Kiryu, who looks amazing. And like Yakuza 0, TEW2 seems to have been built on an engine that was originally intended to be on PS3 -- or, at the very least, multigen. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that there are visuals in it reminiscent of last gen, even if the game itself was built for this gen.

in b4 everyone who frequents the discord channel strings me up for my obnoxious and enduring kiryu lust
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Previous

Return to News and Updates