Recording of the TEW2 panel from E3'17

(Latest news and updates)

Re: Recording of the TEW2 panel from E3'17

Postby Kimurion » Jun 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Thank you :-3

Autoignition wrote:The good news is that Ruvik (and Mobius, really) can just jump into the story of TEW2 with no setup or fanfare

Didn't think about that, but you're right I was probably worried over nothing. I'm really looking forward to what Theodore has to offer, the cult was such a good plot point and important for both Ruvik and Kidman and it was so under-used in my opinion! After seeing the trailer at E3 I thought the cult was going to be the focus of the sequel, cause I didn't recognize Sebastian, there was no Ruvik in sight or Kidman so it seemed Mobius wasn't the center ( and would be in the shadows like for Sebastian in the first game ), but rather the cult. I was wrong, this isn't a new protagonist and Mobius is very much the focus... But now it makes me wish we'll see more of the cult and it looks like it will and that's really cool. At least there will be a portion about it, since there will be a " Theodore part " ( who I'm still not sure if he's black or just covered in black " paint " like Lilly is in the same scene. Doesn't help that we don't really get a good look at his face. )

I'm glad to hear about Joseph though. His situation was making me confused. I kind of hope he is gonna return as a vilain. I know, I know, I said I don't want too many vilains and that's contraditory. Maybe vilain is not the appropriate word. Monster, rather. You know like you have a boss battle against him and not much more, I'm not delusional if he comes back in the sequel I don't think he's gonna be much more important than he was in the first game but it's still cool.
Kimurion

Steam: Kimurion

Postby berto » Jun 24, 2017 4:06 am

https://youtu.be/OZ38vN_iP78
I don't think this has been posted here.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 24, 2017 8:09 am

berto wrote:https://youtu.be/OZ38vN_iP78
I don't think this has been posted here.

Posted in the interview thread
:P

Dusk Golem wrote:Just for the record, there is a huge chance Evil Within 2 is a lot longer than I think people may think. In the E3 trailer and gameplay trailer we see a total of monsters that equals to about 3/4th the total number of monster types that were in the original game, but we see far fewer areas (most we see are from the same 2-3 locations and most of the shots happen before Sebastian gets the Agony Crossbow and many even before he gets the shotgun), yet there's apparently a lot they haven't wanted to show us yet.

When Pete was asked the question in an interview if there were a lot of different locations like the original game, Pete begins to respond, "Oh yeah, there's even more than the original-", but then cuts himself off I think realizing he shouldn't reveal that, and just responds there's a "healthy diversity." John in an interview clues in that the "American Small Town of Union" we're seeing right now isn't the only hub world in the game and there might be some dramatically different locations in the game regionally outside of the American settings we haven't seen yet when asked about Evil Within Eastern and Western horror.

Also in the video this topic is about, the guy puts in the blue text and mentions in the comments when someone asks that some things in the text were from later in the panel when his sd card ran out but at the panel later in they mention Evil Within 2 is longer and has more monsters, locations, etc., than the original game (which was already a pretty long game...). So it's sounding like Evil Within 2 might be rather massive, plus with there being some new more open locations.

Y'know, I'd love for that to be the case. But The Evil Within 1 was, what, 16 hours long? It's hard to imagine the sequel having longer main storyline AND side missions/bigger levels to explore... That would put it above 20 hours long maybe... That'd be really, really cool. But the cynic inside of me thinks the game overall will be longer, but the main storyline without the side stuff will be shorter.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am

Most of TEW1 is gameplay, though, seeing as how like 70% of the story was revealed in files and audio logs. If TEW2 expands to accommodate more villains and has the open side quest areas and tells most of its story through cutscenes and dialogue... Man, this game has the potential to rack up 40-hour playtimes, I bet. I wouldn't at all be shocked if just beelining through the main story clocked you in at about 25 hours (which would make its main story longer than FFXV's ayyyy get dunked).
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Jun 24, 2017 5:25 pm

I wouldn't bet 40 hours, but I also think it might be longer than TEW1. The thing is I don't specifically care how long the game is as long as the game is paced and executed well, there does come a point where the longer a game is can be a detirement to the actual quality of the game. That'd be my concern if it was too long, but we won't know until we know.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Jun 24, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm just judging by my own playtimes. :lol: My first playthrough of TEW1 clocked me in at about 20 hours. I could see a straight shot through TEW2's story taking me about 25-30, once I factor in all of the extra cutscenes and the fact that the game's likely just bigger. From there, an added 10-15 hours for side content didn't seem unreasonable, but maybe I'm being a little generous with just how much side content they'll be adding.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby berto » Jun 25, 2017 2:35 pm

I don't like when they say a game is bigger than the previous one. I know they're trying to sell a game but since DMC2 that has always striked me as a double edge sword. Bigger sounds better but in practice bigger could could mean any number of things, a whole shpiel of possible meanings, from bigger world, bigger areas, longer game, bigger buildings. I don't know. It could mean any number things and just dismissing it immediately as a negative is kind of a defeatist way to approach things, I mean, it worked for Gravity Rush 2.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby DeHeerser » Jun 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Yes well, TEW2 could be longer than TEW1. And it could also be true that making a game longer beyond the point of being necessary, takes away from its quality. But what we really want is «more of the good longer

For instance some of the best parts of TEW1:

-- the beginning village. Where you can burn your first stacks of hay and have to hide in peasant cottages.

-- the masion where Ruvick and his family lived. But even that mansion, although it has three main areas to explore, still felt very linear. By comparison the masion of RE1 feels much less linear.

-- the game can be made longer and also more fun to replay, by allowing the player more freedom to make his own path and create his own route. Solving the puzzles/rooms in different orders, that also lead to different weapon pick ups, and what not. All bringing more variety of play.

I also feel there are many interesting ideas left unused, that could have been used to create new rooms and thus make the game longer. For instance those motion sensor bombs. They never put them on the ceiling. It would be interesting, hearing the peep, not seeing the bomb, and then to discover that they are in the ceiling. So that you'll have to crouch.
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Postby DeHeerser » Jul 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Like for instance, the swimming mechanic. It worked fine it's just that almost nothing was done with it.

As I can only repeat, the gameplay mechanics were pretty much perfect and allowed for so much awesome situations and scenarios. In practice, the dishevelled story held this potential back with its randomness, its tameness in many aspects and then its linearity.
DeHeerser

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DeHeerser

Previous

Return to News and Updates