Japanese Interview with Shinji Mikami

(Latest news and updates)

Japanese Interview with Shinji Mikami

Postby Autoignition » Aug 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Japanese gaming website Game's Talk has posted a bulleted list of details from a recent interview with The Evil Within 2's Executive Producer, Shinji Mikami. The full interview has yet to surface on the internet, but at a quick glance, Mikami talks a lot about the game's initial development, as well as the story and gameplay. The site itself is in Japanese, but a rough Google translation tells us:

"The development began around the summer of 2015 when the last DLC of the previous work ended.

I set the first stage widely, prepared not only mission but also various play. There are elements that you can act freely at your own pace.

In this work, including sneaks, players can enjoy themselves in their favorite way of playing and there is no such thing as playing styles being determined by chapters like the previous work.

Equipped with a crafting system that allows you to unlock skills and create weapons and bullets with the collected materials.

The theme is not to strengthen the horror element, but to make the most of the attractive story by taking advantage of the setting of the previous work.

In this work, I want to convey mental fear than grotesque.

The story is really wonderful. Especially for the latter half, it's a waste to abandon it because it's difficult.

Since there is a part connected to the previous work, the story is preparing an explanation so that there is no thing that the unplayed person does not know.

Equipped with difficulty selection. Casual, survival, nightmare. If you like the difficulty of the previous work Nightmare. Mr. Mikami's recommendation is casual.

There are few loading screens because chapters are not divided as much as the previous work.
"

Source: Game's Talk | Credit: Dusk Golem (via NeoGAF) and liontamer (via Discord)
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Re: Japanese Interview with Shinji Mikami

Postby Autoignition » Aug 08, 2017 8:07 pm

The theme is not to strengthen the horror element, but to make the most of the attractive story by taking advantage of the setting of the previous work. The story is really wonderful. Especially for the latter half, it's a waste to abandon it because it's difficult. Since there is a part connected to the previous work...

/breathes heavily against monitor, fogging up the screen

My hype levels have returned. :twisted:

That's literally all it took. THAT'S LITERALLY ALL I NEEDED TO GET ON BOARD. GODDAMN IT BETHESDA MARKETING. IT AIN'T HARD TO MAKE ME HAPPY. HOW DID U HECK THIS UP SO BAD UP UNTIL THIS POINT.
Autoignition

Postby liontamer » Aug 08, 2017 8:28 pm

THANK YOU SHINJI, YOU BEAUTIFUL SOUL.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby akoron17 » Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Autoignition wrote:
The theme is not to strengthen the horror element, but to make the most of the attractive story by taking advantage of the setting of the previous work. The story is really wonderful. Especially for the latter half, it's a waste to abandon it because it's difficult. Since there is a part connected to the previous work...

/breathes heavily against monitor, fogging up the screen

My hype levels have returned. :twisted:

That's literally all it took. THAT'S LITERALLY ALL I NEEDED TO GET ON BOARD. GODDAMN IT BETHESDA MARKETING. IT AIN'T HARD TO MAKE ME HAPPY. HOW DID U HECK THIS UP SO BAD UP UNTIL THIS POINT.

This made you excited? It seems like they are focusing on the story then the horror game aspect from the quote. Maybe I'm mistaken but that's what I got from it.
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Postby Autoignition » Aug 08, 2017 10:58 pm

akoron17 wrote:This made you excited? It seems like they are focusing on the story then the horror game aspect from the quote. Maybe I'm mistaken but that's what I got from it.

That's all I care about, bruv. The horror aspect is important to me, sure, but not nearly as important as the story. All I wanted to hear was that the story from TEW1 was going to continue and wasn't going to be relegated to the role of being merely a conduit for Sebastian's manpain, which is what the marketing up until this point was leading me to believe. I'll take a hit in the horror if it means making that much a reality for the game. I'm long since beyond the point of expecting this game to be everything.
Autoignition

Postby eaterofsoulsxx » Aug 09, 2017 3:16 am

Are you still hopeful for the return of Joseph? if he does come back I hope he's sporting some facial hair. Ever since that drawing. (which I have saved) I could post it if you don't remember.
eaterofsoulsxx
have no fear.

Favorite Title: Anything really.

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 09, 2017 7:05 am

That part about there being no forced stealth or forced combat chapters is really all I wanted to hear.

Everything about this interview is HYPE. Definitely starting on Nightmare.
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Aug 09, 2017 7:58 am

This talk of story... I don't know. Please don't have any forced walking dialogue scenes getting in the way of the gameplay. That's all I'm asking. Less scripted playing, keep all the story to cutscenes that are skippable.

As always I'll stick to normal on the first playthrough. Do the ground work first before taking on nightmare. That way you kind of have two first playthroughs.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am

dan76 wrote:This talk of story... I don't know. Please don't have any forced walking dialogue scenes getting in the way of the gameplay. That's all I'm asking. Less scripted playing, keep all the story to cutscenes that are skippable.

As always I'll stick to normal on the first playthrough. Do the ground work first before taking on nightmare. That way you kind of have two first playthroughs.

I think they're talking about the story's quality there.

The fact that the game is more open and less of a guided experience makes me hopeful that forced walks won't be prevalent.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Aug 09, 2017 11:52 am

I really hope they don't get rid of horror this seriously does not make me hyped at all.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Next

Return to News and Updates