Japanese Interview with Shinji Mikami

(Latest news and updates)

Re: Japanese Interview with Shinji Mikami

Postby akoron17 » Aug 09, 2017 12:42 pm

ghostcall wrote:I really hope they don't get rid of horror this seriously does not make me hyped at all.

I agree, the original story was pretty good, but if they're more focused on that then strengthening the honestly kinda weak horror aspect...My hype just goes down. I'm not too concerned bc the first gameplay trailer shows that they did bring up the horror aspect. The skill trees and "survival action" stuff still makes me really concerned. I'm really hoping that they stick to survival horror unlike it's predecessor.
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Postby liontamer » Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Horror is still a very important aspect of the game, you only have to look back at the trailers that have been released so far, it is only much more psychological now as opposed to being grotesque, and I don't mind that one bit.

dan76 wrote:This talk of story... I don't know. Please don't have any forced walking dialogue scenes getting in the way of the gameplay. That's all I'm asking. Less scripted playing, keep all the story to cutscenes that are skippable.

As far as the story is concerned, I really hope journals and audio tapes return for the sequel because I loved putting the story together through them, and it's always a good way of adding some backstory to characters or events.
Last edited by liontamer on Aug 09, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
liontamer

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby akoron17 » Aug 09, 2017 3:52 pm

liontamer wrote:Horror is still a very important aspect of the game, you only have to look back at the trailers that have been released so far, it is only much more psychological now as opposed to being grotesque, and I don't mind that one bit.

dan76 wrote:This talk of story... I don't know. Please don't have any forced walking dialogue scenes getting in the way of the gameplay. That's all I'm asking. Less scripted playing, keep all the story to cutscenes that are skippable.

As far as the story is concerned, I really hope journals and audio tapes return for the sequel because I loved putting the story together through them, and it's always a good way of adding some backstory to characters or events.

Yeah me too. Journals and audio tapes really add a great layer to it. Finding the story is better then being forced into it. I mean hell Sebastian is supposed to be a detective.
akoron17

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Regarding horror, I think the fact that it's more open might actually make it scarier... Outside of boss fights, Ch.3 and Ch.9 were one of the scariest chapters in the original game, because how unpredictably the enemy moves around in them. I remember playing on Nightmare and having the sadist chasing me throughout the level... That shit was intense.

I think the tremendous praise Ch.9 got made them design TEW2 with such philosophy in mind... At least I hope so.
Rikitatsu

Postby akoron17 » Aug 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Regarding horror, I think the fact that it's more open might actually make it scarier... Outside of boss fights, Ch.3 and Ch.9 were one of the scariest chapters in the original game, because how unpredictably the enemy moves around in them. I remember playing on Nightmare and having the sadist chasing me throughout the level... That shit was intense.

I think the tremendous praise Ch.9 got made them design TEW2 with such philosophy in mind... At least I hope so.

That's very true. They are my favorite parts. I'm more concerned over the survival aspect. I'm hoping nightmare really gives that aspect in big doses. We won't know until then. Hoping for the best. If so, this game will be the best survival horror game in years.

Well...maybe
Last edited by akoron17 on Aug 09, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akoron17

Postby Autoignition » Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

eaterofsoulsxx wrote:Are you still hopeful for the return of Joseph? if he does come back I hope he's sporting some facial hair. Ever since that drawing. (which I have saved) I could post it if you don't remember.

Absolutely. Especially after this interview, I feel like we're passing from "beyond a reasonable doubt" territory into "beyond a shadow of a doubt." I'm hoping and praying for that goatee, too.

ghostcall wrote:I really hope they don't get rid of horror this seriously does not make me hyped at all.

I think one look at literally any of the trailers they've put out kind of dispels the notion that they've gotten rid of the horror somehow. John Johanas and Pete Hines have also both repeatedly reaffirmed the horror aspects of the game, as well.

Please bear in mind, guys, that the original post is a shitty Google translation of summarized bullet points taken from a larger interview (with Famitsu, apparently) that we have not yet seen. It's a little garbled and lacking in context. When Mikami-san says that the focus isn't on horror themes, I take that to mean from a storytelling perspective, not necessarily an atmospheric or gameplay one (though admittedly I am still salty about skill trees). I could be fucking that up because of the translation and summary, but that's what I personally gleaned from this.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Postby dan76 » Aug 10, 2017 6:52 am

IGN interview with Mikami and JJ:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/08/10/t ... the-sequel

John Johanas: I think that type of pure horror gameplay is definitely compelling and I tend to enjoy it as well, but it can get a little overbearing if it goes on too long. Not to give away too much, but just like the original, there are some times where you have to run and hide rather than fight, but for the most part The Evil Within 2 puts you in situations where, if you are prepared correctly, you can take on the enemies.

Pretty good.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Autoignition » Aug 11, 2017 12:20 am

A buddy of mine posted a better, more comprehensive summary of the Famitsu interview. Check it out here.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Aug 11, 2017 10:27 am

Autoignition wrote:A buddy of mine posted a better, more comprehensive summary of the Famitsu interview. Check it out here.

The most exciting thing for me from that is the 'optional mysteries' bit. I think many have questions/concerns about the side-quest in TEW2, I don't think any of us want some Mobius soldier to come about and say, "Hey Sebastian, can you kill X number of Haunted and collect their arms/whatever." Now I do suspect there will be some side-quest with doing stuff for Mobius mercenaries, but it's mentioned here there's optional 'mysteries' you can do in the first half of the game that you can choose to unravel.

I know a lot of people don't like Silent Hill Downpour, but one amazing thing that game did was its side-quest. They were all natural to the world and you just stumbled on strange things and went deeper to solve them and do something, optional areas sometimes or puzzles strewn about the world, looking for something to collect for a central place, etc. It had a real sense of discovery and made the side quests insanely fun to do.

If The Evil Within 2's side-quest are more like that and less like RPG side-quest fair, I'll be one happy camper.
Dusk Golem

Postby SutterCane » Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Bethesda games tend to have sensible quest structure that usually contains a story and worthwhile content that isn't just lazy padding. At least the Arkane made one's do. In fact Arkane's side quests tend to offer up reasons to backtrack and explore areas more thoroughly. That's the worst possible outcome I can see happening and I can't see how that won't work well. Any extra reason to backtrack is good in my book.

What interests me is when they mention random things might happen, if it's similar to to the way chapter 9 would change things around then that would be great.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates