IGN interview with Mikami and Johanas, plus a new screenshot

(Latest news and updates)

IGN interview with Mikami and Johanas, plus a new screenshot

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am

IGN has posted a new interview for The Evil Within 2 with Shinji Mikami and John Johanas, they discuss Mikami's involvement in the project, and the new gameplay changes they have made for the sequel. Plus, a new screenshot. Check them out below.

IGN interview | Credit: dan76
Rikitatsu

Re: IGN interview with Mikami and Johanas, plus a new screen

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 10, 2017 9:13 am

Those interviews are saying all the right things...

Less forced stealth? Check
less jarring environmental shifting? Check
More open level design? Check
Simpler story? Check (plz don't kill me)

Now they just need to say they've cut down on forced walks, and we're golden.
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Aug 10, 2017 11:26 am

It's settled my nerves a bit. Interesting they mention that though there are points if no return you can backtrack to a certain degree. I wonder how this will play out. It might be best to leave some side missions until you are really low in supplies rather than doing them all at once.

Now, we just need some proper gameplay so we can at last see the changes to how Seb controls!
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby liontamer » Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Those interviews are saying all the right things...

Less forced stealth? Check
less jarring environmental shifting? Check
More open level design? Check
Simpler story? Check (plz don't kill me)

Now they just need to say they've cut down on forced walks, and we're golden.

On paper, simpler story sounds good... However, I really hope that it doesn't mean that the player isn't left with questions occasionally. I loved how I never knew certain things even after I was done with the first game.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby akoron17 » Aug 10, 2017 2:50 pm

but what it does is allow you to explore or prepare as much as you’d like before you WANT to proceed with the story

Want? That tells me it's obvious where to go, that worries me. What's the point of a backtracky open level when you could just go ahead to the end?
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Postby liontamer » Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm

akoron17 wrote:
but what it does is allow you to explore or prepare as much as you’d like before you WANT to proceed with the story

Want? That tells me it's obvious where to go, that worries me. What's the point of a backtracky open level when you could just go ahead to the end?

To collect various resources and to discover side-quests. I think of it like Rise of the Tomb Raider or Bioshock (I know, weird comparison). However, what continues to worry me is how that perfect balance of resources will be tackled this time. They nailed it for the first game, but the game has a different structure this time.
I'm the kind of person who'd refuse to explore areas when he feels that he has more than enough ammunition. I really, really want the game to give me just enough to barely get through boss fights. That was one of the most important things about the first game.
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby akoron17 » Aug 10, 2017 3:05 pm

liontamer wrote:
akoron17 wrote:

To collect various resources and to discover side-quests. I think of it like Rise of the Tomb Raider or Bioshock (I know, weird comparison). However, what continues to worry me is how that perfect balance of resources will be tackled this time. They nailed it for the first game, but the game has a different structure this time.
I'm the kind of person who'd refuse to explore areas when he feels that he has more than enough ammunition. I really, really want the game to give me just enough to barely get through boss fights. That was one of the most important things about the first game.

Well, difference is that this is supposed to be a survival horror game. It's supposed to make you explore as much as possible with the probability that it'll link you to the end of level. That's why I loved chapter 9, Ruvik on your ass made getting lost terrifying.

I would just like a sense of discovery finding the main objective. Not hey, there's a place that you have to go, but with multiple directions to go towards. Oooo open!!
Last edited by akoron17 on Aug 10, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akoron17

Postby Dusk Golem » Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

dan76 wrote:It's settled my nerves a bit. Interesting they mention that though there are points if no return you can backtrack to a certain degree. I wonder how this will play out. It might be best to leave some side missions until you are really low in supplies rather than doing them all at once.

Now, we just need some proper gameplay so we can at last see the changes to how Seb controls!

Pete Hines mentioned in his E3 interview rounds that you end up doing some things that will forever change Union forever, he described these huge events that would shift everything going forward. I assume that may be related to the points of no return, he didn't say what they were but he expressed as you progress there will be huge changes to the game world.
Dusk Golem

Postby akoron17 » Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

I guess for now, I'm going to say it's a poor choice of words. Discovery is very important for me in my games especially survival horror. The old school resident evil games were all about that. Exploring was a very important aspect in progression from those games. I want to wonder if the next door will be progress me or give me more resources. Not this is the door to progress and everything else is made for side quests and resource collecting. That's boring to me.
akoron17

Postby SutterCane » Aug 10, 2017 4:47 pm

"...there are some times where you have to run and hide rather than fight, but for the most part The Evil Within 2 puts you in situations where, if you are prepared correctly, you can take on the enemies."

I don't know sounds like forced stealth might be in just a little bit, it was pretty minimal in the first one and I'm guessing it's the same here. I won't be surprised or bothered if this opens knife only like an early trailer made it look.

If Seb were to kill someone like Stefano, who seems to have some influence over STEM, I'm guessing that could remove world elements related to them. That would be a bit of a point of no return like Dusk says. They know how to design an open area elegantly and I can't wait to see them do it on a larger scale. With the whole craft your own ammo set up this time I'm expecting parts to be the major exploration reward and without a limit on that there's no real reason to put off gathering them, you won't know how many you'll need.

In chapter 9 you discover keys to unlocking the way forward without much signalling but the point of no return was pretty clearly marked as the big giant brain door. Technically Chapter 3 was mostly optional, you could use a hatchet to break free the Sadist, kill him and then leave doing nothing else. Chapter 4 was the same way too, you could head straight to Leslie. It was clear always what the way forward was once you found it but not necessarily from the levels beginning. Keeping just those chapters in mind I don't think the structure is going to be too different. The opposite way where the open level is presented linearly, making it being open pointless, is a pet peeve for me.

So bothersome when they put something pick up-able in a screenshot, it'll never get picked up now. Cool Fire Men.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Next

Return to News and Updates