Shinji Mikami: TEW2 "Closer to RE1", New Screenshots

(Latest news and updates)

Shinji Mikami: TEW2 "Closer to RE1", New Screenshots

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 10, 2017 7:30 pm

In an interview with Jeuxvideo.com, Shinji Mikami and John Johanas shared a few details on TEW2, one of them is that while TEW1 was somewhere between RE1 and RE4, TEW2 will be closer to RE1. The quote reads: (Google Translated)

"The last game was somewhere between Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 4, but this one will be significantly closer to Resident Evil 1."

Meanwhile, The Evil Within 2 was featured in Famitsu Magazine, and they have a couple of new screenshots (Some of them are not yet available in direct feed). You can check them out below.

JeuxVideo.com Interview (French) | Famitsu Screenshots: 1 | 2 | 3 (LQ) | 4 (LQ)
Credit: JoeKilledKenney2016
Rikitatsu

Re: Shinji Mikami: TEW2 "Closer to RE1", New Screenshots

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 10, 2017 7:45 pm

It makes sense that it'd be closer to RE1 this time around since it's no longer linear.

Really like that forest shot.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Aug 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Based on feedback from players and the press, the developers have chosen to make the title more accessible in order to attract an uninitiated audience to the genre and reduce the Die & Retry dimension of the former.

Why does the internet destroy everything it touches?

That last screenshot looks like it's pulled from an area re-tread from the first game. Hype hype hype.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Aug 10, 2017 9:23 pm

The interview also mentions a few interesting small tidbits. Mikami says TEW2 is a mixture of a psychological thriller and a horror game. They mention before TEW2 came about, they threw around making a more 'atmospheric experience' horror game, which Mikami amusingly compares to Layers of Fear but done better, but they had a really good idea for TEW2 so they worked on that instead. They also re-confirm TEW is supposed to be a franchise, they talk about how atmosphere, interesting characters, and engaging plot threads are important for something long-standing, and they hope to prove with TEW2 that TEW can be that sort of franchise. They made the game more accessible on Casual for newcomers and have made the 'mythology' of the series simpler to understand this time around, mention while the story will be explained more this time compared to the original the characters will have a lot more depth. Mikami also mentions he really liked Resident Evil 7, and mentions the team played a lot of horror games and watched a lot of horror movies before starting work on TEW2 and went through various favorites of the team, and name dropped a few films and games such as Silent Hill and Shutter Island, so take that as you will.

For why it's more like Resident Evil 1 than 4, he mentions there's a lot more downtime, atmosphere, exploration, and back-tracking in TEW2 than 1, but there's more to it than even that but says he's keeping the rest of that a secret for now.
Dusk Golem

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Dusk Golem wrote:The interview also mentions a few interesting small tidbits. Mikami says TEW2 is a mixture of a psychological thriller and a horror game. They mention before TEW2 came about, they threw around making a more 'atmospheric experience' horror game, which Mikami amusingly compares to Layers of Fear but done better, but they had a really good idea for TEW2 so they worked on that instead. They also re-confirm TEW is supposed to be a franchise, they talk about how atmosphere, interesting characters, and engaging plot threads are important for something long-standing, and they hope to prove with TEW2 that TEW can be that sort of franchise. They made the game more accessible on Casual for newcomers and have made the 'mythology' of the series simpler to understand this time around, mention while the story will be explained more this time compared to the original the characters will have a lot more depth. Mikami also mentions he really liked Resident Evil 7, and mentions the team played a lot of horror games and watched a lot of horror movies before starting work on TEW2 and went through various favorites of the team, and name dropped a few films and games such as Silent Hill and Shutter Island, so take that as you will.

For why it's more like Resident Evil 1 than 4, he mentions there's a lot more downtime, atmosphere, exploration, and back-tracking in TEW2 than 1, but there's more to it than even that but says he's keeping the rest of that a secret for now.

Can you read French perchance?
The Google Translated version makes no sense in some of the paragraphs...
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Can you read French perchance?

The Google translate is mostly comprehensible to me. A lot of the interview has to do with the ways that the second game will either differ from or build on the first.

wrt the pop culture references that DG mentioned, though, those were said in reference to the first game. Shutter Island in particular was a name that got thrown around a lot by Mikami-san during the promotional period for TEW1.

That movie is fucking fantastic, btw, in case anyone here hasn't yet seen it. One of my favorites.
Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Aug 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Dusk Golem wrote:The interview also mentions a few interesting small tidbits. Mikami says TEW2 is a mixture of a psychological thriller and a horror game. They mention before TEW2 came about, they threw around making a more 'atmospheric experience' horror game, which Mikami amusingly compares to Layers of Fear but done better, but they had a really good idea for TEW2 so they worked on that instead. They also re-confirm TEW is supposed to be a franchise, they talk about how atmosphere, interesting characters, and engaging plot threads are important for something long-standing, and they hope to prove with TEW2 that TEW can be that sort of franchise. They made the game more accessible on Casual for newcomers and have made the 'mythology' of the series simpler to understand this time around, mention while the story will be explained more this time compared to the original the characters will have a lot more depth. Mikami also mentions he really liked Resident Evil 7, and mentions the team played a lot of horror games and watched a lot of horror movies before starting work on TEW2 and went through various favorites of the team, and name dropped a few films and games such as Silent Hill and Shutter Island, so take that as you will.

Can you read French perchance?

Not fluently, but I did take French class for several years. A bit rusty but enough to be able to keep up with most of the article.

Oh, one important bit I'll mention I forgot in my original post since Autoignition were talking about this in a recent thread, but they mention the game isn't an open-world game. They do mention there's more open areas, and in terms of the overall scale of the game it's larger than anything either Mikami or John had previously done, but say the size of the large areas even if put all together don't compare to open-world games and the game isn't designed as an open-world game. They also mention there's still linear levels and the like, just there's a few much larger levels in the game you're free to explore.

Autoignition wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Can you read French perchance?

The Google translate is mostly comprehensible to me. A lot of the interview has to do with the ways that the second game will either differ from or build on the first.

wrt the pop culture references that DG mentioned, though, those were said in reference to the first game. Shutter Island in particular was a name that got thrown around a lot by Mikami-san during the promotional period for TEW1.

That movie is fucking fantastic, btw, in case anyone here hasn't yet seen it. One of my favorites.

I still haven't seen Shutter Island even at this point. OTL I should amend that.

Really they name drop a lot of things in the article, Mikami especially. It's always been obvious but you can tell he's a huge film buff, and John comes off like a horror game nerd, but I say this as a good thing.
Last edited by Dusk Golem on Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Aug 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Dusk Golem wrote:Oh, one important bit I'll mention I forgot in my original post since Autoignition were talking about this in a recent thread, but they mention the game isn't an open-world game. They do mention there's more open areas, and in terms of overall scale of the game game is larger than anything either Mikami or John had done previously done, but say the size of the large areas even if put all together don't compare to open-world games and the game isn't designed as an open-world game. They also mention there's still linear levels and the like, just there's a few much larger levels in the game you're free to explore.

This game sounds better and better the more Mikami-san talks about it. I wish they'd have just let him jump on the promotion/marketing from the very beginning. He seems to know all the right things to say to make nerds like me happy. God bless you, Shinji Mikami.

Dusk Golem wrote:I still haven't seen Shutter Island even at this point. OTL I should ammend it.

Really they name drop a lot of things in the article, Mikami especially. It's always been obvious but you can tell he's a huge film buff, and John comes off like a horror game nerd, but I say this as a good thing.

DG WTH!!! Let's have a movie night or something! Jeez! :lol: That movie would be right up your alley, too. Gotta watch it, man.

And yeah, Mikami-san said in an interview a few years ago that his inspiration comes pretty strictly from movies, not from other games. Resident Evil was created as a love letter to George Romero (RIP Uncle George, and also RIP the Resident Evil movie script written by Romero himself that never saw the light of day). And Johanas is just a big ol gamer nerd. It'll be interesting to see what this game feels like in terms of obvious influences.
Autoignition

Postby liontamer » Aug 10, 2017 10:55 pm

I can't put into words how excited I got when I read "Closer to RE1". After revisiting that game last year, I realized that it just might be my favourite game of all time. It brings me so much joy to merely imagine what this means for TEW2. I am very excited right now.

Dusk Golem wrote:For why it's more like Resident Evil 1 than 4, he mentions there's a lot more downtime, atmosphere, exploration, and back-tracking in TEW2 than 1, but there's more to it than even that but says he's keeping the rest of that a secret for now.

I can imagine that the rest of it has to do with a gameplay element borrowed from another popular survival horror game, since the developers are such horror aficionados. It could be hide/seek portions in between or maybe even mini encounters with a boss, it's really anyone's guess at this point, but man, I am SO happy to be reading this. I never even thought that it'd ever resemble RE1 more than RE4 (I do love both games).
liontamer

PSN: breakdownthewall

Postby akoron17 » Aug 11, 2017 12:59 am

*Girl scream* I can't breathe I can't breathe. This is the most awesome thing I've ever heard!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D The fact, he said it's more like RE1 is too fucking amazing!! I feel like I'm going to pass out. The backtracking and emphasis on atmosphere just makes me fucking drool. Holy fucking shit I'm excited!!! Hype overload. I can't...*Passes out*
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Next

Return to News and Updates