40 Minutes of Leaked Gameplay from The Evil Within 2 Demo

(Latest news and updates)

Re: 40 Minutes of Leaked Gameplay from The Evil Within 2 Dem

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 19, 2017 6:29 am

French Streamer playing the Chapter 2-3 demo for an hour forty minutes:
phpBB [video]

(also posted in news)

Shows some new stuff we haven't seen before.
Dusk Golem

Postby SutterCane » Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm

You know by limiting the bullet time by making it use stamina they've kind of sneakily pushed the gun use into an old school stop and pop framework.

I know one of the stealth abilities is ambush but does anyone know what the other unique stealth ability is?

Way bigger variety of enemy types wondering about than I expected, that Hysteric was great.

I really think that radio undermines exploration. It's a shame knowing how close to the start the crossbow is that this is the second video of someone going off exploring with just a pistol. The game then checkpoints them ensuring that rather than check an alternate route after dying they instead push on unprepared because the radio tells them to. It's a mechanic for players that get lost easily that will wind up getting them lost easily, it will also annoy people that hate hand holding.

Still I noticed something a touch worrying here in that enemies seem tied to their areas and won't give chase after a set distance. I get that it's to prevent the player gathering a horde from area to area and crashing the game but at one point the game introduces a cool enemy that should give chase, instead the player runs away and the game seemed to despawn them. It's something Dark Souls does quite a bit but I don't think it works in a game like this quite as well, it's a bit dumb looking there too to be honest. Wouldn't really be an issue with the more tightly designed levels said to feature later, so I'm not too bothered. The open area is meant as a taster after all.

Probably a better demo than the others, seemed to be on nightmare.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby akoron17 » Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm

SutterCane wrote:I really think that radio undermines exploration. It's a shame knowing how close to the start the crossbow is that this is the second video of someone going off exploring with just a pistol. The game then checkpoints them ensuring that rather than check an alternate route after dying they instead push on unprepared because the radio tells them to. It's a mechanic for players that get lost easily that will wind up getting them lost easily, it will also annoy people that hate handholding

Yes...like me.

RANT INCOMING: Are they fucking serious with this shit?! Why are they giving a RE1 like survival horror the most handholding shit ever?! It has checkpoints, a radio that directs you to the objective, and a map with objective markers. It's fucking overkill! Give us a map and let people enjoy it for themselves. Fuck!
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Postby dan76 » Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I haven't watched this playthrough, but to anyone that has - does she find the
pistol with laser sight?
that's going to be one if the first things I hunt around for.

With regards to the open areas, I hope they don't cut of part if the map once a checkpoint has been reached. It awful when a game does that - e.g you are faced with two doors, one leads to a cutscene and the next chapter, the other is a room to explore, but there's no way of knowing which is which.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby SutterCane » Sep 19, 2017 4:38 pm

dan76 wrote:I haven't watched this playthrough, but to anyone that has - does she find the
pistol with laser sight?
that's going to be one if the first things I hunt around for.

With regards to the open areas, I hope they don't cut of part if the map once a checkpoint has been reached. It awful when a game does that - e.g you are faced with two doors, one leads to a cutscene and the next chapter, the other is a room to explore, but there's no way of knowing which is which.

Nah the player never picks up any kit outside of the original pistol from a cutscene. I've been interested in that myself. If you are avoiding the video for spoiler reasons it's worth saying it goes further down the main plot line than any clips before and spoils a reveal.

About the open world comment it appears to start up locked off instances where you are temporarily trapped in a small area but afterwards you are free to explore. At the same time you have to willingly engage in these events with a form of consent beforehand that acts as pretty clear signalling. Part of what akoron is miffed about as well is that the game pauses and shows you where the main objective is on the map, you will at least always know when you are progressing the story/possible point of no return.
SutterCane

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Here's the near full upgrade tree for Sebastian using Green and Red Gel in The Evil Within 2. Keep in mind this doesn't include weapon upgrades.

Not going to spoiler tag it since it's something you can see on your first visit to an upgrade thingie.

Also to note, Green Gel is to unlock the skills themselves, Red Gel is to unlock these... Well, locks, which block you from accessing some skills until you get and use enough Red Gel to go past them. Each Red Gel Lock costs 1 Red Gel, so they're probably pretty rare. These are in branches so you need to upgrade one thing to reach another branch, I won't detail that info here, just the specifics of the upgrades. Also some upgrades, like Bottle Break under Stealth, are unlocked from the beginning on Casual difficulty.

HEALTH:
3 Red Gel Locks
-Toughness 1: Increase Life Gauge maximum. [100% > 125%] (1500 Green Gel)
-Toughness 1: Increase Life Gauge maximum. [125% > 150%] (3000 Green Gel)
-Toughness 3: Increase Life Gauge maximum. [150% - 175%] (7500 Green Gel)
-Toughness 4: Increase Life Gauge maximum. [175% - 200%] (12000 Green Gel)
-Vitality 1: Total health recovered while regenerating from near-death status is increased. [100% > 110%] (4000 Green Gel)
-Vitality 2: (we don't see this one's full details unfortunately)
-Defiance 1: If an attack would have just barely done enough damage to kill you, you'll grit your teeth and bear it, remaining alive with a small amount of health. (4000 Green Gel)
-Defiance 2: Raise your pain thershold, allowing you to survive attacks that should have done more than enough damage to kill you. (8000 Green Gel)

COMBAT:
3 Red Gel Locks
-Steady Hands 1: Reduced reticle sway when firing weapons. (1000 Green Gel)
-Steady Hands 2: Reduced reticle sway when firing weapons. (3000 Green Gel)
-Steady Hands 3: Reduced reticle sway when firing weapons. (7500 Green Gel)
-Brawler 1: Melee attacks, including attacks with weapons like knives and axes, do more damage. [100% > 150%] (3000 Green Gel)
-Brawler 2: Melee attacks, including attacks with weapons like knives and axes, do more damage. [150% > 200%] (6000 Green Gel)
-Firing Stance 1: LEss kickback when firing weapons. (3000 Green Gel)
-Firing Stance 2: Even less kickback when firing weapons. (6000 Green Gel)
-Push Kick: Gain the ability to kick stunned enemies away from you. Cannot be used on certain types of enemies. (5000 Green Gel)
-Synaptic Focus: Press Y while aiming to concentrate and slow down time. Press Y again to end the effect. This skill consumes Stamina while active. (75000 Green Gel)
-Bullet Cascade: For a set amount of time, shooting damage is increased with each consecutive shot. The effect ends when either time or ammunition runs out. (20000 Green Gel)

ATHLETICISM:
2 Red Gel Locks
-Endurance 1: Increase Stamina Guage maximum. [100% > 120%] (1500 Green Gel)
-Endurance 2: Increase Stamina Guage maximum. [120% > 130%] (3000 Green Gel)
-Endurance 3: Increase Stamina Guage maximum. [130% > 150%] (7500 Green Gel)
-Endurance 4: Incrase Stamina Guage maximum. [150% > 170%] (12000 Green Gel)
-Reflexes 1: Gives a chance to automatically avoid an attack that would have damaged you. Certain attacks cannot be evaded this way. [0% > 20%] (5000 Green Gel)
-Reflexes 2: Increased probability of automatically dodging an attack. Certain attacks cannot be evaded this way. [20% > 30%] (10000 Green Gel)
-Bounce Back 1: Stamina recovery speed increased. [100% > 130%] (4000 Green Gel)
-Bounce Back 2: Stamina recovery speed increased. [130% > 170%] (12000 Green Gel)

RECOVERY:
1 Red Gel Lock
-Treatment 1: Recover more health when using healing items. [100% > 110%] (1500 Green Gel)
-Treatment 2: Recover more health when using healing items. [110% > 120%] (4000 Green Gel)
-Treatment 3: Recover more health when using healing items. [120% > 130%] (7000 Green Gel)
-Quick Recovery 1: Health recovery speed increased when regenerating from near-death status. [100% > 150%] (3000 Green Gel)
-Quick Recovery 2: Health recovery speed increased when regenerating from near-death status. [150% > 200%] (8000 Green Gel)
-Second Chance: Automatically use a Medical Syringe when taking fatal damage. Does not work when taking fatal damage from certain attacks. (5000 Green Gel)

STEALTH:
2 Red Gel Locks
-Low Profile 1: Your footsteps produce less noise, making enemies slower to investigate. (1500 Green Gel)
-Low Profile 2: Your footsteps produce even less noise, making enemies even slower to investigate. (3500 Green Gel)
-Low Profile 3: Your footsteps produce much less noise, making enemies slower to investigate. (7000 Green Gel)
-Bottle Break: Bottles in your inventory will automatically be used to break free from some enemies grab attacks. Does not work against certain attacks. (5000 Green Gel)
-Ambush: Perform Sneak Kills from around a corner while in cover. (3000 Green Gel)
-Prowler 1: Move faster while crouched. [100% > 120%] (4000 Green Gel)
-Prowler 2: (we don't see this one's full details unfortunately)
-??? (there's one other skill we do not see that seems to be a special stealth kill under Stealth).
Dusk Golem

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

And some misc details I noticed from that video.

The safe haven Sebastian comes from has a aversion of the Mobius symbol painted on the front door with what looks like blood. Seems to be something warding the monsters inside from entering through the door?

A pamphlet for Union within the Union Welcome Center. I'm starting to get the impression maybe part of the goal of Mobius is to do a 'fake reality' kind of thing, like it's a constructed virtual world but maybe they want to put people inside of it without them realizing it's not the real world. Like the pamphlet here even mentions natural wonders, when obviously none of this is natural. And maybe that's why there's psychopaths in the system, like one use this could have I guess is to replace prisons as a cost-effective method if they can just toss psychopaths to be trapped in a brain machine they can't escape from themselves, and seem to be able to stay alive without harming the real world with that goop they live in. I'm starting to lean to Mobius wanting to make some STEM's to insert people into without them knowing, or deluding maybe, that it's the real world. It definitely seems they're purposefully avoiding mentioning that none of Union is strictly real.

-Others mentioned it above, but one thing I've learned from watching this footage is DO NOT OVERLY RELY ON THE COMMUNICATOR. It has its uses, but there's evidently some things the Radio does NOT point out to you. As they've mentioned, the Radio for example does not point you towards the Crossbow location, you have to explore to find that as it doesn't make a noise. So while it might be useful to find some side-quests and some things, I think the biggest reliance if you want to find everything is just simply explore yourself.

-And now here's something interesting I just kind of realized, and not sure if this is for the demo or what, but when you pause the game to go to your inventory/weapon wheel thing, the game doesn't seem to slowdown anymore, it just completely pauses.

-You can die very fast on Nightmare difficulty. If you're worried about challenge, the game does look pretty challenging with how little abuse default Sebastian can take. He dies in like, 2-3 hits from the Losts.

-As others mentioned, it seems in Mobius overworld part the enemies patrol a certain area they can't get past. This is obviously so you can't just get a dumb amount of enemies are overload the game, and it does seem if you go from being detected to one area to another the other enemies in the next area over are on high alert too, but it is noticeable at one specific part in the video when she crosses the gate area and the enemies stop pursuing altogether.

---

But there's a lot I do like, and I look forward to exploring that (and future) parts of Union. It's weird to think the game is close, but here we are.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Sep 19, 2017 8:59 pm

DG, you're my hero. I feel SO MUCH BETTER about the skill tree system now that I've seen it. It's pretty identical to the one in TEW1. There are some individual skills that make me side-eye (like the last two combat ones, eugh), but whew I feel really good about the setup for this now.

I'm starting to get the impression maybe part of the goal of Mobius is to do a 'fake reality' kind of thing, like it's a constructed virtual world but maybe they want to put people inside of it without them realizing it's not the real world. Like the pamphlet here even mentions natural wonders, when obviously none of this is natural.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were totally right on this. It seems pretty in line with what The Administrator told Kidman at the start of The Consequence about Mobius's goals for world peace using STEM and all that.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby SutterCane » Sep 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you Dusk, I skimmed the vids so I miss a lot of the details. Seems like more of a Total Recall holiday set up, an artist could create without any limitations and a religious fanatic could create a heaven on earth.
SutterCane

Previous

Return to News and Updates