Dark Souls was an influence to TEW2, says Johanas

(Latest news and updates)

Dark Souls was an influence to TEW2, says Johanas

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 29, 2017 6:18 am

Rely on Horror conducted an interview with Johanas, Mikami, and Haaga. In the interview, they discuss what influenced them when making the game.

“I think from a gameplay perspective,” starts Johanas thoughtfully. “The way we approach the open world section, was not a complete copy of those games, but the way Dark Souls and things like that put breadcrumbs for you to find, like lore pieces without just handing it to you. We tried to do an approach like that, but less abstract.

Read the rest of the interview in the link below.

Rely on Horror Interview
Rikitatsu

Re: Dark Souls was an influence to TEW2, says Johanas

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 29, 2017 6:27 am

Do I need to bust out that CSI Bloodborne image from Tango's offices again?

The way the location's name appears on the screen when you enter it is very Bloodborne-y too...

Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Aug 29, 2017 7:07 am

if Dark souls the first game that would be awesome I love how every zone is connected in first game.

ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby ghostcall » Aug 29, 2017 7:39 am

“As people begin packing up, I request to ask Shinji a question that isn’t Evil Within-related. He nods. Do we need more dinosaur-themed horror games?” When his translator finishes, Mikami has a brief burst of laughter before simply stating “No.” He says it with the cadence of a veteran comedian delivering a killer punchline; they’re not just masters of the horror genre, they know their way around an interview as well."

so no Dino Crisis spiritual successor?
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 29, 2017 8:27 am

ghostcall wrote:“As people begin packing up, I request to ask Shinji a question that isn’t Evil Within-related. He nods. Do we need more dinosaur-themed horror games?” When his translator finishes, Mikami has a brief burst of laughter before simply stating “No.” He says it with the cadence of a veteran comedian delivering a killer punchline; they’re not just masters of the horror genre, they know their way around an interview as well."

Shu Takumi is our only hope.
Rikitatsu

Postby Nezarth » Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

There it is!! knew it with some strange vibes i had for this sequel that it would be influenced with Dark Souls..
hoping for a Interconnected World Twist, but prob wont happen :)
Nezarth

Favorite Title: TEW, Bloodborne

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Intriguing stuff to me, even though I haven't played much Dark Souls.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 29, 2017 11:44 pm

ghostcall wrote:“As people begin packing up, I request to ask Shinji a question that isn’t Evil Within-related. He nods. Do we need more dinosaur-themed horror games?” When his translator finishes, Mikami has a brief burst of laughter before simply stating “No.” He says it with the cadence of a veteran comedian delivering a killer punchline; they’re not just masters of the horror genre, they know their way around an interview as well."

Could've SWORN tho that some time ago, Mikami mentioned he'd be interested in directing either another Dino Crisis or Godhand...and also, the wording of the question was something like do we NEED more dino-themed horror games, and that's what Mikami laughed and said no to. Maybe we WANT more dino-themed horror games. Not NEED them.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby SutterCane » Aug 30, 2017 3:21 am

Not surprising about Dark Soul's being an influence.

There's still hope they'll slap a dino in TEW one day, probably a raptor with a woman's face and some high heels.

When they mention a "wider range of difficulty options" surely there is still just Casual,Survival and Nightmare which is the same range.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby berto » Aug 31, 2017 6:04 pm

Ugh... :roll:

Bloodborne might be one of my favorite games but I'm getting tired of people making their games based and influenced by Souls.

Variety. I play Bloodborne for that Souls effect and I play TEW for it's unique experience. Just because something is good doesn't mean that you have mimic it to be good, too.

What's done is done, just going to have to accept it an hope that whatever it was that they appropriated is a good fit.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Next

Return to News and Updates