The Evil Within 2 | Race Against Time Gameplay Trailer

(Latest news and updates)

Re: The Evil Within 2 | Race Against Time Gameplay Trailer

Postby Autoignition » Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Okay, so I rewatched the trailer now that I'm home and not, you know, hiding out in the bathroom at work. :lol: Fun fact: That ponytail co-op lady is almost exactly what I used to picture Myra to look like before we actually got her character reveal in The Consequence. Anyway. A couple of things to note, from my plot perspective:

Bethesda marketing up until this point led us to believe that Lily just wasn't a sustainable host (likely because she was so young) and that STEM was kind of warping and collapsing around her. That's not what this trailer tells us, though. According to this trailer, she's legitimately lost somewhere inside of STEM. This raises so many questions for me that I'm not even sure where to begin. But let's try.

+ When Ruvik was the host, he was omnipresent inside of STEM. The problem with him was that they couldn't take him out of the machine, but Lily seems to have the inverse problem -- which begs the question: Why was Lily not omnipresent to begin with?

+ If they have Lily's physical body at Mobius HQ, why is it that they can't just pull her out of the machine? Again, they tried everything to get Ruvik to GTFO, but he was always around. And now they somehow can't find Lily? How come they can track Mobius operatives that go in and also Sebastian but not a fucking small child?

+ And if they can track Mobius operatives, why not just pull them out if it's getting dangerous? Why continue sending people in in the first place? Why not just pull the plug on the Lily As The Core project? Weren't there literally any other kids for them to kidnap and use? What makes her special?

There's so much about this that's fishy that I'm sticking even harder to my theory that the Lily thing is a bait-and-switch and that she was never, ever the core to begin with and probably actually did really die in that fire before TEW1. Ted's line to Sebastian at the end of the trailer kind of feeds that train of thought, too. Ted being a holy man could mean that his entire role in the narrative is symbolic of "opening Sebastian's eyes to the truth" and that truth could very well be that there never was a Lily to go find.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 13, 2017 6:30 am

I'm gonna assume they will explain the disparities between this STEM and TEW1's STEM buy saying it's new version and as such it works differently a little.

Also, they don't seem to be able to pull out STEM participants just like that, O'neal was waiting for "extraction", and apparently extraction isn't possible without the core (Lily) being found, at least according to Seb.
Rikitatsu

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 13, 2017 10:02 am

I've got theories and ideas, but to be honest I kind of like how uncertain I am about some things right now. We'll know in 30 days at most, so I'm okay having weird questions going in.

I'm still not sure if I think this game is going to be its own thing narratively (as in a story that has connections to the original but is mostly a separate story, kind of like Resident Evil 1 to 2 or Silent Hill 1 to 2 if you will), or if they're going to rug pull us at some point and it's a direct continuation of the ending of the first game or what (and the game is about Ruvik and the events of the original game). I mean, there's obvious connections, like Theodore is part of the cult from the original game, and Laura is all over this game, and we are playing as Sebastian and Kidman's here too and dealing with Mobius and all of that.

But I don't know if I think this game is like Sebastian is the core and he just thinks he's saving Lily, if Lily is actually the Core and that narrative point is being played more straight and an exploration of something, if Ruvik's infiltrated the Core, if Laura is connected to the core, or what. I can see a lot of possibilities, but as of right now I'm not sure which possibility to lean towards quite yet.
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Sep 13, 2017 10:35 pm

The more of the game that we see, the less doubt there is in my mind as to whether this is a proper sequel. There's no reason to retread Beacon or bring back Tatiana and Laura if there's not something going on there. And with Ted explicitly bringing up Sebastian's "past mistakes" and almost certainly referring to his past mistakes in STEM, I feel like there's just no way that this isn't a direct sequel. Hell, Pete Hines kinda almost let it slip at E3 that newcomers might be a little lost. (He was really tired and said something to the effect of "you don't have to play the first game, but it really helps.")

I'm firmly in the "Ruvik has infiltrated the core" camp, though I'm undecided as to whether Sebastian's actually the core. I'm starting to lean in that direction, though.
Autoignition

Postby SutterCane » Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Isn't STEM wireless these days? I think pulling people out of STEM physically might be beyond their control. I'm guessing they'll just say there was some prep before the Mobius operatives went in that allows for them to be better tracked. I'm not really invested, my hope is that the Lily being a bait and switch theory is right and the game is a trip through Seb's own warped mind but I just think it's too good to be true.

Outside of that if it's played straight I'm figuring there might be a potential brain damage link between the STEM subjects this time. This is after Dusk pointed out the head wound connection between the two bosses and thinking about the white clay inside of the Lost's heads. Like STEM is a medical technique used to help the brain form new connections in which case Lily might be the core for a , nonsense, reason related to that.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby Autoignition » Sep 14, 2017 11:44 pm

So, I just got my October issue of Game Informer in the mail. There's a lengthy piece on TEW2 in it. Nothing we haven't really read before, so I don't think that it warrants a brand new thread, but GI seems to put to rest the question as to whether this is a proper sequel.

"The shakeup in direction doesn't mean a new start for the series. Unlike the first few Resident Evil games, which introduced new protagonists and threats, The Evil Within 2 once again inflicts pain and suffering upon Sebastian Castellanos, a detective for the Krimson City Police Department who lost his family, sobriety, and everything but his sanity."

The article then goes into a shockingly good and concise recap of TEW1's story just to bring players up to speed. The author then directly links TEW1 and TEW2's story by saying, "Three years have passed since the incident at Beacon Mental Hospital, and Castellanos has been searching for answers that may link Mobius to the death of his family."

So, Sebastian's spent the last three years not really languishing in his misery as a drunk like Pete Hines led us to believe, but actively continuing to pursue Myra's old investigation.

The entire article is really fantastic, and I encourage you guys to read it if you have the chance.
Autoignition

Previous

Return to News and Updates