Giveaway: x3 TEW Signed Copies by Shinji Mikami

(Latest news and updates)

Re: Giveaway: x3 TEW Signed Copies by Shinji Mikami

Postby Eslammb » May 01, 2015 5:13 am

Becoming a fan for The Evil Within was a logical choice for me since i am a fan of Mikami-San since his days on Capcom and his multiple great Resident Evil titles , The early trailers for the game was promising as it showed that the game was a mix between the action ammo management of Resident Evil and The horror of Silent Hill which also one of my favorite series so Playing The Evil Within was a logical thing for me

As I started playing the game I enjoyed the varied environments of it (Day and Night , Countryside and Urban , Underground and surface , Stealth and Action ) and I also liked that each chapter has its own style and usually its own enemies which would be impossible to get bored from the game considering the wide variety of the environments and enemies , The intense Laura fights and the creepy mysterious nurse are some of my most fond memories of the game
Eslammb

Postby Riadon » May 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Bethesda has a booth at PAX East 2014 and The Evil Within had a showing of gameplay in a closed room and I was like this was a successor to Resident Evil 4 and I got a free poster and bought a shirt for the game.
Riadon

Postby Autoignition » May 15, 2015 5:11 am

Resident Evil has been my favorite game series for years and years, and there isn't a single Mikami game I've played that I haven't liked. Even though I still love RE to pieces, the series has lost so much of its edge and charm ever since Mikami left Capcom and, by extension, RE. So when I found out he was going back to horror games, I was seriously bouncing off the walls, especially after I played Shadows of the Damned. He hits on exactly what I like and want out of horror, and I have a feeling it's because we both seem to like all the same movies. :P

I won't lie, based on some of the trailers leading up to the game's release, I had really low expectations. It looked like a crappy RE4 ripoff that Mikami was just cashing in on before retirement, since for a while there was that rumor going around that it was going to be his last game ever. Even still, I bought a PS4 on launch day specifically to play this game, since it was originally announced (or rumored) to be a PS4 exclusive.

I was not prepared for how much I ended up loving this game. It had such a nostalgic feeling attached to it, and I fell head over heels in love with the characters. My first time through the game, I streamed it for a couple of friends who couldn't afford it at release, and I remember all of the "YOOOOOOOOO" moments as things changed and progressed, as well as the absolute screeching and heartache in the chat as we found out more and more about Sebastian's past. This game somehow got us all super invested in Myra, even though she was little more than a name with no face in the main campaign. Joseph broke all of our hearts, too. After his "you ever have the urge to just jump" speech at the beginning of chapter 7, I actually had to put my controller down and take a breath because it hit on some place really sensitive deep inside me; I had never heard anyone put that kind of feeling into words so succinctly and eloquently, and if I hadn't been streaming I probably would've ended up turning the game off for the day completely. A game hadn't hit me that hard since Spec Ops: The Line, and the fact that it managed to elicit that kind of visceral emotional response from me is really impressive, because I am NOT usually sensitive to stuff like that.

I've made so many friends thanks to this game, and it rekindled my love for horror games and deep, layered narratives. Picking this game apart and discussing it so passionately with other people is something I haven't done since the release of Alan Wake, now five years ago. It really satisfied a hunger I had for this type of gameplay and narrative -- and the inclusion of so many great female characters now with the DLCs makes my heart sing. I haven't been invested in a new IP like this in years.

And not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've been an amateur writer all of my life, but I'd never ever ever been able to finish anything longer than a short story. A TEW story I wrote ended up being an actual literal novel (65k+ words), finished, edited, and posted. My first novel EVER, and it's one of the most highly lauded and popular stories in the TEW section of Archive of Our Own. Knowing that I'm capable of starting and finishing a story like that is so empowering, and I honestly cannot express my gratitude in words for this silly video game that inspired me so damn much.

(Just as a side note, this game got me watching the show Hell on Wheels because, you know, Anson Mount, and it's FREAKING AMAZING HOLY CRAP thank u TEW for introducing us.)
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Gaydorado » May 20, 2015 10:23 am

Yama wrote:The contest is now live and will conclude on May 15th, 2015 12:00PM EDT.

Still no word on this? The giveaway ended five days ago, and no one on the Facebook and Twitter profiles for The Evil Within respond to my questions about this. Where are the winners?
Gaydorado

Favorite Title: Outlast
Steam: Gaydorado

Postby Yama » May 20, 2015 10:53 am

Submissions ended, they're being rounded up and checked to see who donated. Results by weeks end, no later. Check the front page.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Previous

Return to News and Updates