Tango hiring for next project, likely using Unreal Engine 4

(Latest news and updates)

Tango hiring for next project, likely using Unreal Engine 4

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 12, 2015 2:54 am

Tango Gameworks is on a hiring spree for their next project, with positions ranging from programmers to sound designers. There are some interesting tidbits in there, though. Some positions require expertise in Unreal Engine 4, which probably means their next project is using this engine (Goodbye, id tech 5?). What's more, it seems like it's a next-gen only game, mentioning PS4/XBO numerous times. What kind of game it is? Who knows, the pages are in Japanese so Google translation might have missed an important detail or two.

Source: Zenimax Careers
Rikitatsu

Re: Tango hiring for next project, likely using Unreal Engin

Postby gmc1992 » Jun 12, 2015 10:24 am

Wouldn't it have been cool if tew used unreal, it could have been a graphical work of art, Id tech was rather meh but I won't be surprised if it is a sequel they're working on
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 12, 2015 10:33 am

Unreal 4 is a wise choice. Not only there is sufficient Japanese documentation for it, it's also fairly easy to use. Of course it's pretty powerful as well. A lot of Japanese developers have started using it, even Fighting games like Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 use Unreal Engine 4.

Id tech 5 must have gave Tango quite a headache, I remember reading that they were having trouble with the engine due to language barriers, since Id tech 5 didn't have Japanese documentation. Plus they had to reverse-engineer the whole thing to make a third person game.

In the end, TEW didn't make good use of the few advatanges of id tech 5, like Mega-Textures... I've seen repeated textures all over the place...

So long id tech 5, I won't miss you and your gigantic install sizes.
Rikitatsu

Postby DampRevil » Jun 12, 2015 10:18 pm

I've been watching some Unreal Engine 4 videos on YouTube and they look amazing! I wouldn't be opposed to an Evil Within sequel being produced using that engine.

On another topic, do you think the Id Tech 5 engine contributes to The Evil Within's technical issues? Issues such as the texture pop-ins, screen tearing, glitchy/laggy cutscenes?
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby Nemesis85 » Jun 12, 2015 11:13 pm

I have experience working with both UE4 and CryEngine, both are fantastic engines. Unreal is better in the way that troubleshooting is easier , CryEngine is better in the graphic side.
Nemesis85

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 13, 2015 3:54 am

DampRevil wrote:On another topic, do you think the Id Tech 5 engine contributes to The Evil Within's technical issues? Issues such as the texture pop-ins, screen tearing, glitchy/laggy cutscenes?

I would say it's more due to the difficulties Tango faced with the engine (Hard to use, language barriers, etc...). Wolfenstein The New Order fared better than TEW while using the same engine because they worked closely with id and John Carmack (though it did have some texture pop-ins if I remember correctly).

I wonder if this is going to be a new IP... And if Mikami is going to direct it?
He's been talking about how he'd give the younger staff a chance since he formed Tango, so I doubt he would be the director this time :cry:

EDIT: Here are a some Japanese games using Unreal Engine 4

- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Street Fighter V
- Tekken 7
- Scalebound (Kamiya's game)
- Bloodstained

phpBB [video]
Rikitatsu

Postby Jocifer666 » Jun 13, 2015 4:04 pm

This is very interesting! Hmmmmm.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Morir es vivir » Jun 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Great news indeed!, i wonder if it's going to be a new IP or a sequel.. In case its a new IP, what if it's another horror game? :) Imagine if Tango exclusively focused on horror tittles :P I would love that. Yeah ID Tech 5 had problems but in TEW it looked visually stunning.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Jocifer666 » Jun 16, 2015 11:32 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Batman Arkham games and Dead Space use The Unreal 4 engine? Thought they'd be good comparisons to reference-least TEW's direct or spiritual sucessor use it ;).
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Batman Arkham games and Dead Space use The Unreal 4 engine? Thought they'd be good comparisons to reference-least TEW's direct or spiritual sucessor use it ;).

They use Unreal Engine 3.

There were new UE4 Japanese games announced this E3, including SHENMUE FREAKING THREE. :o :shock: :o :shock: Can't believe they announced it.

Also, this is our first look at id tech 6

phpBB [video]
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to News and Updates