Tango hiring for next project, likely using Unreal Engine 4

(Latest news and updates)

Re: Tango hiring for next project, likely using Unreal Engin

Postby Autoignition » Aug 20, 2015 1:47 am

I saw this on Twitter too, along with a bunch of Joseph concept art.

Someone got excited on Twitter and was like OMG THANK YOU FOR POSTING MORE JOSEPH ART and she more or less said "I cannot confirm nor deny the identity of this character."

But then I remembered something

I've seen that Joseph artwork before. Not the one I just showed, but the above collage pic. In the top right corner. Here's what it looks like with the colors inverted:

This is from one of the April Fool's pics of Into The Light:

I feel like Nakamura-san might be exploiting her confidentiality clause in her Bethesda contract with a convenient loophole lmao. It's almost like "I can post my own work without saying that it's concept art, who the character is, or what the game is." Because she's posted her own little doodles before, both TEW-related and not.

At first I thought "oh man, new costumes for the GOTY edition?!" but I hadn't seen that "Mystery L" pic yet. Shit, there's a decent chance that she might actually be teasing a sequel.

ETA:

She just posted a more complete picture of "Mystery L"

Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 20, 2015 10:18 am

After giving it some thought, he looks like Leslie (Ruvick possessed). His name also starts with L (Mystery L).
Rikitatsu

Postby Morir es vivir » Aug 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Thank's for sharing guys. It's early, but i wonder if they'll reveal something at TGS regarding sequel.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Autoignition » Aug 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Morir es vivir wrote:Thank's for sharing guys. It's early, but i wonder if they'll reveal something at TGS regarding sequel.

I feel like we must be getting SOME sort of an announcement at TGS. All signs seem to be pointing in that direction. I was also reading an interview today with Pete Hines, and I'm always really critical about the words that PR guys use in their interviews, because they have to be the most careful people in the world when they talk about potentially unannounced projects. One thing that really stuck out to me was:

I think ultimately, from a genre standpoint, we’re in a lot of different places. We have Id and what they’re doing with Doom; the MachineGames guys did very well with Wolfenstein, which is a first person shooter but a very different kind of game than what Doom is trying to do; the Tango guys doing The Evil Within; Arkane doing their kind of first person action stealth assassin stuff…

I was kind of thrown by him talking about Wolfenstein in the past tense and The Evil Within in the present, like the MG guys had done Wolfenstein but now they're doing something new, whereas Tango is still doing TEW. He also referred to The Evil Within as being a good example of success with a new IP, just like Dishonored. And, well, since Dishonored got a sequel...

Also, Bethesda was handing out little TEW bracelets at their booth at Gamescom, and the TEW twitter has been a little bit more active lately. It's not saying anything important. It's mostly just tweeting cosplay and fanart, but it's almost as though Bethesda wants to make sure that people still have TEW on their radar.

Oh, and I wanted to share this with you guys, too. A Japanese-speaking friend of mine did some translations on Nakamura-san's tweets. When someone asked her to post some Seb art, she said:

I just don’t really draw Seb that much… Any drawings I do have are story related… If I draw him and it turns out well though, I draw a lot more.

What story-related Seb drawings are you keeping from us, Nakamura-san?!

And on top of "Mystery L" she shared another "mystery man" who, lbr, is quite obviously Joseph:

The Japanese text on the picture is: "Canadian in disguise." And we all know how Nakamura-san loves her little character detail about Joseph being born in Toronto. :lol: (Dear lord, though. Joseph with facial hair. I'm getting the vapors.) The word "taiya" is a bit of a mystery here. I'm just going to share what my translator friendo said to me over IM:

i can’t know 100% without seeing the kanji, and i’m guessing that’s why she wrote it in romaji, but taiya by itself means "the eve of the anniversary of a person’s death” lmfao so uh, idk what that’s about. like for all i know she means taiya as SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT but i looked it up and the first word, by itself, that popped up was THAT FULL PHRASE lmfao and other shit like ‘important person’ or deadline, etc.

Basically I didn't really sleep last night because the hype got too out of control, is what I'm trying to get across with this post.

ETA:

One of the story-related Sebastian pics she's been keeping from us!

The general translation is that she was just hanging out after work having a snack and she just happened to find herself drawing this picture of Sebastian.

yeah ok, Nakamura-san.

This picture really worries me. It looks like he's in a surgical gown, and if he's bald, then does that mean someone shaved his head for an impending brain surgery...?
Autoignition

Postby Jocifer666 » Aug 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Oh my god. That Sebastian one is terrifying. And that Mystery L one! All very interesting. I can't seem to find them on Twitter though, it seems they've just been deleted :/. Which is also interesting.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Autoignition » Aug 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:Oh my god. That Sebastian one is terrifying. And that Mystery L one! All very interesting. I can't seem to find them on Twitter though, it seems they've just been deleted :/. Which is also interesting.

Yep, she deleted all of them. They were only up for a few hours, not even a full day.

Translation: Yes, that’s the end of the midsummer mysteries! Deleeeeeeeeeeeete!
Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 22, 2015 7:50 am

One cannot simply delete stuff off the internet, Nakamura-san. It's too late!

Anyway, I cannot help but feel it's WAY too early for sequel talk. It's not even a year since TEW was released. Here's a pessimistic explanation to what these concept arts are for: Maybe it's from a cancelled TEW2 pitch that was turned down recently, so Nakamura decided to say "Oh well, at least I'll post it on Twitter so that it won't be a complete waste"... But then the top brass got pissed at her for sharing NDA'd content, so she removed it.

Personally, a new IP is preferable to me than a TEW sequel. I still have no idea what happened in TEW storywise, so many unanswered questions left open to interpretation. I'd rather they start fresh, with a clean slate, and a new world.

That pic of Sebastian makes me sad, so much for "Breaking through a world full of Psychos", he ended up stuck in STEM and now look at him. TEW had a really depressing ending, so much so that I don't feel like playing a continuation of the story.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Aug 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:One cannot simply delete stuff off the internet, Nakamura-san. It's too late!

Anyway, I cannot help but feel it's WAY too early for sequel talk. It's not even a year since TEW was released. Here's a pessimistic explanation to what these concept arts are for: Maybe it's from a cancelled TEW2 pitch that was turned down recently, so Nakamura decided to say "Oh well, at least I'll post it on Twitter so that it won't be a complete waste"... But then the top brass got pissed at her for sharing NDA'd content, so she removed it.

Personally, a new IP is preferable to me than a TEW sequel. I still have no idea what happened in TEW storywise, so many unanswered questions left open to interpretation. I'd rather they start fresh, with a clean slate, and a new world.

That pic of Sebastian makes me sad, so much for "Breaking through a world full of Psychos", he ended up stuck in STEM and now look at him. TEW had a really depressing ending, so much so that I don't feel like playing a continuation of the story.

Oh, my friend! If you're confused about TEW's story, that's why I have a guide written up. C: I was thinking about starting the second essay in the series soon and possibly basing it around the significance of mental illness in the storyline, but I'm not sure if that's the next logical step to go to. But anyway. Please give it a read! The game didn't have a sad ending at all; it had a very distinct cliffhanger. The first game's story only felt like a prologue, if you want me to be perfectly honest. It was filled to the brim with backstory and had very little going on in real time. It felt like the game was purposefully set up to be in STEM just because it would fuck with Sebastian and Kidman's heads to the point where they would need to remember what they didn't know they forgot (and tell the player about it in the process) and regain their priorities so that an actual ongoing story could finally start with a sequel.

And, I have to disagree. I don't think it's too early at all to be talking about a sequel yet, especially for a Japanese studio. Japanese studios like to do this thing where they announce their games the second they get greenlit and leave their consumers waiting for years and years while the product gets made. Project Zwei was announced two years before TEW actually came out, after all. Capcom announced the RE2 remake pretty much as soon as they got the okay to go ahead and start, and they even prefaced it by saying that it's going to be a long time before they have anything to show us. The Final Fantasy VII remake got announced with a trailer that uses none of the game's actual assets, because the game doesn't actually have any assets yet. And just how long have we been waiting for Final Fantasy XV again? ;) No one's talking about actually releasing a TEW sequel so soon. For all we know, this game could have a 2017 or even a 2018 release window on it. I don't exactly think it's appropriate to apply Western studio announcement standards to TEW, where a trailer gets shown to announce a game that's coming out in about six months -- even though, yes I know, Tango is technically owned by Bethesda. I think the very earliest we'll see it is Halloween of next year, but even that seems extremely generous.

But even Halloween 2016 wouldn't be so bad. If they really are using Unreal 4 for this (which I think is a safe bet to go ahead and say, since Johanas more or less confirmed that the project they're working on is using Unreal 4 a few months ago), then it saves them the trouble of having to program for two different generations of consoles and also gets rid of the problem of having to create a third person survival horror game on an engine built for FPS. They also don't have to draw up a new story or concept, which gives them a clear direction of where to go next. They have core game mechanics already in existence to use and reference and don't have to worry about "striking that balance" between current gen action horror and classic survival horror that you always see the devs talking about in interviews. Building a new IP is a lot of hard, hard work, and the reason why so many game studios are sequel-happy is because sequels are leaps and bounds easier to make, since so much about the sequel was pre-established in the first one.

Besides, Uncharted 2, my favorite game sequel of all time and possibly my game of the generation, only came out two years after Uncharted 1 did! So there! :P Proof that excellence can be achieved in a game sequel in only two years.

I think it's kind of silly to assume that Nakamura-san is showing things from a "canceled" TEW2, since Bethesda is still promoting the hell out of the TEW name (it was the very first thing that showed up in their opening E3 montage, for god's sake. That video opened with the Fallout vault opening to show Sebastian and Joseph stepping out of their squad car.) and is always talking about what a success TEW was as a new IP. It set a new sales record for survival horror. It's entirely possible that what Nakamura-san showed us were concepts for TEW2 that didn't make it to the final cut of the game (which makes me weep for Joseph's sexy beard but pray for Sebastian's full head of hair), but I don't think it's reasonable to think at this point that TEW isn't getting a sequel at all.
Autoignition

Postby Jocifer666 » Aug 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Autoignition wrote:
Jocifer666 wrote:Oh my god. That Sebastian one is terrifying. And that Mystery L one! All very interesting. I can't seem to find them on Twitter though, it seems they've just been deleted :/. Which is also interesting.

Yep, she deleted all of them. They were only up for a few hours, not even a full day.

Translation: Yes, that’s the end of the midsummer mysteries! Deleeeeeeeeeeeete!

Great, I'm not losing my mind then :). I hate to say it, but that's a classic cover up of something being revealed too early. I work in television, so I know these things ;).

There's way too many cliffhangers in the original game and the DLC for there not to be some sort of sequel- even if it's another DLC type deal for the GOTY Edition. A proper sequel will likely not come out until 2017 though, if I had to guess- and I'd also infer that Bethesada will focus on Fallout 4 and then TEW content/sequel/whatever right after, to give each proper breathing room. Which makes total sense for a marketing standpoint :).

I would agree with a lot of your points by the way, AutoIgnition. It's not unreasonable for a game to come out two years after it's original- especially because they could have started working on it as the first game was close to completion. Kind of how Arkham City did, and RE2 and 3. It's not uncommon at all for any creative person, let alone a creative industry. If anything, many studios would prefer that you have the follow ups planned afterword, even if it is only one. Hell, Dredd isn't getting a sequel because they only pitched it as a solo film- and not as a franchise. Hollywood and Video Game studios would rather it have follow ups, because they can make it more profitable that way.

Solo speaking, as a creative person: I'd rather start working on the follow up idea sooner rather than later. If later, I'd fear the fire of the idea would burn itself out. Strike while the iron is hot, you know :)?
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 23, 2015 6:02 am

Autoignition wrote:
Oh, my friend! If you're confused about TEW's story, that's why I have a guide written up. C: I was thinking about starting the second essay in the series soon and possibly basing it around the significance of mental illness in the storyline, but I'm not sure if that's the next logical step to go to. But anyway. Please give it a read! The game didn't have a sad ending at all; it had a very distinct cliffhanger.

I just gave that a read, it's an impressive work, very detailed and brought my attention to some details I missed. Would definitely like to read more!

But unfortunately it doesn't answer my questions, which is understandable as it focuses more on the backstory, and not the prologue and epilogue (where most of my questions are from).

One thing, though...In the guide you wrote, you say:
They arranged and laid a trap for him at Beacon, massacring most of the staff, as well as the first responders on the scene. Their goal was to put Sebastian into STEM and have him purge Ruvik before Jimenez had a chance to set off the wireless STEM on his own, but unfortunately, they were too late. As Sebastian, Joseph, and Kidman were en route to Beacon, Jimenez activated the wireless STEM, pulling everyone inside

1) How do you know Mobius murdered the staff/patients/cops in the prologue? It was shown clearly that Ruvik did it. It is assumed that the murder scene is entirely in STEM, and Sebastian never woke up in the end of main game. Hence why there are bodies on the floor the same place they were in the prologue.

Assuming Seb did ended escape from STEM, it only makes the ending slightly less depressing. Because A) Ruvik got what he wanted, a new body and escaped STEM. B) Mobius got what they wanted, a STEM free of Ruvik. Basically, the bad guys won.

2) If Seb and co. were pulled by the Wireless STEM while en route to Beacon, then how come they are plugged in the machines at Beacon? One would argue that Mobius sent a team to pick them up from the car, and physically plug them in STEM at beacon. But that would mean a Mobius team was on site the whole time, how come they could let Leslie get up and walk away? In the assignment ending, the Mobius staff in the STEM room seemed non-chalant, like if they weren't in a crime scene or anything, more like in their HQ. Especially the way Myra said "he is expecting a report".

And then you got the missing person posters, where Seb and Joseph went missing with different circumstances.

And, I have to disagree. I don't think it's too early at all to be talking about a sequel yet, especially for a Japanese studio. Japanese studios like to do this thing where they announce their games the second they get greenlit and leave their consumers waiting for years and years while the product gets made. Project Zwei was announced two years before TEW actually came out, after all. Capcom announced the RE2 remake pretty much as soon as they got the okay to go ahead and start, and they even prefaced it by saying that it's going to be a long time before they have anything to show us. The Final Fantasy VII remake got announced with a trailer that uses none of the game's actual assets, because the game doesn't actually have any assets yet. And just how long have we been waiting for Final Fantasy XV again? ;) No one's talking about actually releasing a TEW sequel so soon. For all we know, this game could have a 2017 or even a 2018 release window on it. I don't exactly think it's appropriate to apply Western studio announcement standards to TEW, where a trailer gets shown to announce a game that's coming out in about six months -- even though, yes I know, Tango is technically owned by Bethesda. I think the very earliest we'll see it is Halloween of next year, but even that seems extremely generous.

But even Halloween 2016 wouldn't be so bad. If they really are using Unreal 4 for this (which I think is a safe bet to go ahead and say, since Johanas more or less confirmed that the project they're working on is using Unreal 4 a few months ago), then it saves them the trouble of having to program for two different generations of consoles and also gets rid of the problem of having to create a third person survival horror game on an engine built for FPS. They also don't have to draw up a new story or concept, which gives them a clear direction of where to go next. They have core game mechanics already in existence to use and reference and don't have to worry about "striking that balance" between current gen action horror and classic survival horror that you always see the devs talking about in interviews. Building a new IP is a lot of hard, hard work, and the reason why so many game studios are sequel-happy is because sequels are leaps and bounds easier to make, since so much about the sequel was pre-established in the first one.

Tango is a Japanese studio, but Bethesda is not. And Bethesda calls the shot in regards to marketing. They've shown recently that they reveal project only when they are relatively close to release (See Wolfenstien, Fallout 4). Coupled with the fact that a sizeable portion of the team must've been busy working on all those DLCs, I find an announcement at TGS highly unlikely... We will see.

I think it's kind of silly to assume that Nakamura-san is showing things from a "canceled" TEW2, since Bethesda is still promoting the hell out of the TEW name (it was the very first thing that showed up in their opening E3 montage, for god's sake. That video opened with the Fallout vault opening to show Sebastian and Joseph stepping out of their squad car.) and is always talking about what a success TEW was as a new IP. It set a new sales record for survival horror. It's entirely possible that what Nakamura-san showed us were concepts for TEW2 that didn't make it to the final cut of the game (which makes me weep for Joseph's sexy beard but pray for Sebastian's full head of hair), but I don't think it's reasonable to think at this point that TEW isn't getting a sequel at all.

I wouldn't call showing clips in montages promoting, more like "Look at the variety of our portfolio". Companies show abandoned franchises in their montages all the time. The sales record wasn't for Survival Horror, it was for a Survival Horror New IP in America. The actual number for that record is something around 380k. Which is good, but not as amazing as "record smashing success" would sound like... By the way, that record was beaten by another game few months later.

And another point to consider is Metacritic (Yes, publishers care about this). TEW sitting at 75 is not encouraging to say the least. TEW had a good opening sales wise, but word of mouth clearly did some damage to the brand, Bethesda even discounted the game to $19 and the game is not even a year old. It shows that sales has waned and were front-loaded, possibly due to marketing and the pedigree behind the game. This casts doubt over whether Bethesda would be interested in making a sequel or not. Perhaps it can be considered a success in the sense that it was profitable for Bethesda. But considering the facts above, Bethesda might find making a sequel to be not the best course of action.

And you got Mikami's philosophy regarding horror and sequels.
"Sequels are a big problem in horror entertainment," he explains. "As a horror game series continues you begin to know who the enemies are going to be. Just this knowledge naturally makes the game less scary. So to capture a wider audience designers add more action. That further reduces how frightening the game feels.

"That's one reason I'm making The Evil Within," he says.

Do I think a sequel won't be happening? No, it may happen. (Though I very much doubt it will be announced soon). But I think a new IP is also a strong possibility.
Rikitatsu

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates