New TEW Patch Allows The Removal Of Letterbox

(Latest news and updates)

New TEW Patch Allows The Removal Of Letterbox

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 23, 2015 11:35 am

Tango has just released a new patch for all platforms that allows the removal of the Letterbox (Black Bars), as well as some adjustments to Casual Difficulty. You can toggle the Letterbox in the game's option menu, the update is live right now.

Source: Bethblog
Rikitatsu

Re: New TEW Patch Allows The Removal Of Letterbox

Postby DampRevil » Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am

I never minded the black bars, but it's a nice option for those who did. I was reading around, and I found some unsettling news about the removal of the black bars. In order to implement the removal, apparently Tango reduced the graphical quality. All of the game's textures have been reduced to compensate for the full screen. Also, the black bars are still present during the cutscenes and during the segment of the game when Sebastian is swinging back and forth to get the knife.

My thinking is that was the true reason for the black bars to begin with. It allowed Tango to render a smaller portion of the screen, making the game to look nicer. In terms of performance though, there has been no reported changes. The games still features screen-tearing, texture pop-ins, and frame rate drops.

I'm disappointed that this patch doesn't improve any of the game's performance problems such as the screen-tearing, texture pop-ins, and frame rate drops, etc. I would have taken that over the removal of the black bars.
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 23, 2015 4:23 pm

I actually wouldn't mind Lower-Res textures and graphical fidelity at the cost of No-Letterbox, this new option will effect the gameplay significantly, I reckon. It will be interesting to see whether it's better or worse because of it...
Rikitatsu

Postby DampRevil » Jun 23, 2015 5:17 pm

I haven't played the game with the new patch yet, but people said that the gameplay is much better now with the patch. My only problem is that we shouldn't have to sacrifice the quality of the graphics just to have a full-screen option. Many gamers, why I don't know, already think The Evil Within is an eye sore graphically and now the graphics have been reduced even further.

That's my main problem with developers these days. They can't put 100% of their time and effort into making a truly great game. In modern gaming, one thing is always sacrificed in order to improve something else.
DampRevil

Postby STALKERA90 » Jun 23, 2015 5:53 pm

jesus... to late i already beat the game on all difficulty with platinum trophy and 100% completion on all dlc i don t even want to wait download the 4gb update.
STALKERA90
THE EVIL WITHIN

Favorite Title: SILENT HILL
PSN: ruslan9005291749
XBL: STALKERA90

Postby Morir es vivir » Jun 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Cool, that was nice of them.

Edit: I've been playing without the letterbox for while now and i can't really tell any graphical degradation at all. It's really good to be able to play like this i love it.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby DampRevil » Jun 24, 2015 10:55 pm

Here's a gif showing the graphical reduction. It may not look like much, but the quality has definitely been reduced. However, if it's not that noticeable, then I suppose it's not that big a deal.

DampRevil

Postby Morir es vivir » Jun 25, 2015 1:28 pm

DampRevil wrote:Here's a gif showing the graphical reduction. It may not look like much, but the quality has definitely been reduced. However, if it's not that noticeable, then I suppose it's not that big a deal.

Hmmm, i see. I was removing and adding the letterbox back and forth while staring up close at trees, enemy faces, ground, bushes,water, fog effects looking for missing textures/shades, i was in chapter 2 and since it's at night and dark i guess is harder to tell i don't know but yeah definitely not a big deal.
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Return to News and Updates