Seems like Nightmare difficulty in TEW2 = Survival in TEW1

(Discuss the game)

Seems like Nightmare difficulty in TEW2 = Survival in TEW1

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

First Johanas said it in an interview, then Bethesda, then pretty much the game tells you at the difficulty selection screen:

If you're a fan of TEW1 difficulty, then play Nightmare in TEW2

They didn't say "if you're a fan of Nightmare difficulty in TEW1", they've just said "TEW1's difficulty", and that of course means Survival since Nightmare was locked at the beginning.

And the recent livestream shows how much of a watered down experience Survival is when compared to the leaked video of Nightmare... The house in the beginning you only fight one Haunted, instead of two. The enemies in Survival die from two shots to the head most of the time... Unlike Nightmare where they take as much punishment as they did in TEW1's Survival.

Bottomline is: Play Nightmare. (Unless you thought TEW1's Survival was too hard)
Rikitatsu

Re: Seems like Nightmare difficulty in TEW2 = Survival in TE

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm

That's what I've pulled from all the talk on difficulty and seeing the same slice of the game on Survival and Nightmare difficulty now. I was going to play on Nightmare my first run anyway, in most games I play (and especially horror games) I like to play on the highest difficulty immediately available, but I don't mind them scaling it a bit more for more casual audiences. I think options are a good thing, and while I personally actually ended up loving the default difficulty of TEW1 (the Survival Difficulty in TEW1 was honestly basically equal to Hard difficulty in many other horror games I've played), I'm fine with it being Nightmare in this game.

Though I am happy they've also confirmed there's an unlockable difficulty and mention it's got new elements to it such as limited saves and remixed scenarios. I personally love unlockable difficulties like that.
Dusk Golem

Postby ghostcall » Sep 11, 2017 9:22 pm

to be fair TEW Survival mode is pretty difficult.

well, I'm going to start off with nightmare mode then....
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 12, 2017 5:55 am

Dusk Golem wrote:
Though I am happy they've also confirmed there's an unlockable difficulty and mention it's got new elements to it such as limited saves and remixed scenarios. I personally love unlockable difficulties like that.

Yes, and I am very glad they replaced Akumu with this... Akumu was pretty terrible.

I always wanted them to include a mode with no checkpoints since the first game. Glad they're doing it now, wished it wasn't locked but I understand if they intend to include late game enemies in the first levels.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Sep 12, 2017 8:11 am

Curious if TEW2 nightmare mode is TEW survival mode and TEW2 locked difficulty is basically TEW nightmare mode so where is AKumU mode for TEW2?
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 12, 2017 8:19 am

ghostcall wrote:Curious if TEW2 nightmare mode is TEW survival mode and TEW2 locked difficulty is basically TEW nightmare mode so where is AKumU mode for TEW2?

In the trash where it belongs :P

The locked difficulty supposedly replaces Akumu from the first game.
Rikitatsu

Postby SutterCane » Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Interesting. I thought it was always silly that Casual was named something a bit demeaning, I can see people picking Survival because they feel insulted. It's pretty clever really because this way they can convince people to take on an easier and maybe more fitting challenge level without damaging their ego. Also it's nice to see proper effort put into enemy layout rather than damage numbers being lazily scaled.

Akumu is the opposite where people that want a challenge will probably skip a well balanced mode to play a no damage run that they aren't ready for. Better off missing because it causes problems and you could approximate the mode yourself by reloading when you take damage like with any no hit run in any game ever.

Limited saves is something I really wanted but could never see them adding, can't believe they did. Would've liked that to be the default but whatever it's good that it's in at all.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby dan76 » Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Eh, what? Has anyone actually stated that Nightmare difficulty is the same as Survival difficulty in the first game?
I know they've said that if you're an experienced player to start with Nightmare... But that's not the same is it.

I have a rule to always play a game at it's default difficulty the first time, not sure what to do now. I don't want to watch anymore gameplay that's for sure.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

dan76 wrote:I know they've said that if you're an experienced player to start with Nightmare... But that's not the same is it.

They didn't say if you're an experienced player... They flat out said if you liked TEW1, then play Nightmare. Johanas also recommends playing Nightmare at first.

You really only need to compare the leaked video (Nightmare) with the recent livestream (Survival) to see how much closer Nightmare is to TEW1's Survival.

I'd wager you'd be missing on some content by playing Survival.

Like the house in the beginning with the woman force feeding the kid... In Survival, the encounter is finished when you kill the woman... In Nightmare, an additional Haunted will come knocking away the door after you kill her.
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

...mmm, didn't know that. I'm only skimming through videos so as not to spoil myself. But if Nightmare has extra enemies then that's got to be the way to go.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak