The Evil Within 2 Impressions Thread

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within 2 Impressions Thread

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 12, 2017 4:43 am

Post your impressions here, but spoiler-tag anything that's remotely spoiler-y.
Rikitatsu

Re: The Evil Within 2 Impressions Thread

Postby SutterCane » Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Bottle stun is still in and if anything it's better and stronger than ever since you don't have to go into stealth first anymore and you can carry so many. I've killed almost every guy I've come across with the bottle kill and the amount of animations they've created for the finisher along with their quality mean it never gets old. It's like being given a magnum for your first weapon, love it.

Switching off all the hud made aiming really hard with regular guns, which is what I wanted. Combat in general feels harder. Enemies no longer do that Mikami stop like Haunted did when they got close, they beeline right for you and don't pull any punches. Blowing off a leg and then stomping isn't a match for the matches but it feels great all the same.

Playing on Nightmare, runs fine on PS4. It slows when loading into a new area but I don't care. Great so far. Good night.

Oh and no Spanish language unfortunately so it's all "merde!" from Seb instead, He's gruff in all languages too.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby dan76 » Oct 12, 2017 10:01 pm

I've been playing for almost 4 hours and I'm still exploring Union in Chapter 3.
Overall, it's a much smoother ride than the last one. No glitches so far, looks and plays great on a regular PS4.

Bullet feedback it great, some guns feel very powerful. The stealth mechanic took a bit of getting used to but dashing between hiding places is fun. I like the upgrade system, so far I've been sticking to stealth and combat upgrades, plus I'm upgrading the handgun because
I found the laser sight pistol early on. Unfortunately it zooms in quit a lot when using it, much like aiming in the original game. It's supposed to be for accuracy... But I'd have preferred it to have the same FOV as the regular handgun.

The way I'm playing is exploring everything before moving on. There's no limit to the crafting materials you can carry so it's worth doing. I think this is going to be a long game for me.

Pretty great so far but I'm looking forward to pushing on with the story. It's true that whilst the open area is good for exploring and gathering supplies so far it doesn't have that focus of the original. I'm sure that will come once I press on.

One last thing, I'm really glad about the subtle movement changes to Seb. Pulling back now makes him step backwards rather than walk towards the camera (except for some reason very early on). The control is almost exactly like TLOU but with improved combat and stealth.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am

I paused and logged in here to express how incredible the game is.
I'm up to Ch.3 doing side stuff, and unless the quality falls off a cliff in the upcoming chapters like in TEW1, this may be one of the greatest Survival Horror games of all time.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Oct 13, 2017 2:16 am

Rikitatsu wrote:I paused and logged in here to express how incredible the game is.
I'm up to Ch.3 doing side stuff, and unless the quality falls off a cliff in the upcoming chapters like in TEW1, this may be one of the greatest Survival Horror games of all time.

haha yep I'm 5 hours in and im still at chapter 3.

:lol:
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 13, 2017 6:42 am

ghostcall wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:I paused and logged in here to express how incredible the game is.

haha yep I'm 5 hours in and im still at chapter 3.

:lol:

Yah, same here.
Though I have a sneaking suspicion that All the side stuff are tied to the areas, not the chapters. If so, the next few chapters will go by fast since I finished a lot of the side stuff.

Every second I spent in Union I was saying to myself "See Capcom? This is how you make a modern RE game!"
Seriously TEW2 gave me more RE vibes in 3 chapters than RE7 did in it's entirety.
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Oct 13, 2017 8:01 am

I want to play more but it's daylight outside. I can't play a horror game during the day, just can't.

Thinking about what I have played so far I'm really pleased they streamlined the saving system. It takes seconds whereas in 1 you would have to warp to the nurse etc. the upgrades and lockers I don't mind.

Crafting takes a ton of resources. So far crafting bolts seem pretty expensive, and I'm really missing
the flash bolt. I don't know if it's in the game but I haven't come across one yet

Also, I don't think you have to be crouched to stealth kill. In a moment of panic I tried to run around a lost and the stealth kill icon popped up. Didn't do it but that's a bonus.

So I'm going to continue exploring every part of Union before continuing on with the plot. Is this the right way to play it? I'm wondering if the town changes after a few story chapters?

Everything I'd hoped for so far.
dan76

PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Autoignition » Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Streamed for five hours last night. Slept on it. Am feeling really torn on this game.

I feel like the game itself is fine, but it's horrendous as a sequel from a writing standpoint. The pacing of the intro is so, so bad, and until you really start exploring the meat of Union proper, this game is just completely lacking in pathos. TEW2 is doing what I was worried it would and is insisting that I care about Lily just by sheer virtue of the fact that she's the product of Sebastian's sperm. There's no actual emotional hook or resonance, and I care about everyone else in Union way more than her. I could go into how shitty and sexist "save the princess" plots are in general, too, but I'll spare you.

This game is largely context over catharsis. It's just exposition dump after exposition dump after exposition dump with little to actually connect the player to the story emotionally. TEW1 was the complete inverse, IMO. Things would happen, and they would evoke an emotive response from me, even if I wasn't entirely sure why. The scene between Sebastian and Joseph in that shack in chapter 6 comes to mind. You didn't know the full story of what happened with the IA report, but you didn't need to, because the conversation between the characters was so terse and emotionally charged and said so much on its own.

So, I'm really hoping that the writing picks up. But considering that I know how it ends, I'm not expecting much. And that's in addition to the characters feeling wooden, and the dialogue/pacing being hurt even more by fucking dialogue trees. What an absolute goddamn travesty.

THAT ALL HAVING BEEN SAID THOUGH... Gameplay? Atmosphere? Fuck yes. If Mikami-san is still sticking with his definition of survival horror being, "That feeling you get when an enemy is bearing down on you, and you only have one bullet left, and you manage to pull off a headshot" then this game delivers even better than the first game did, I think. I'm starting to feel like Nightmare is a little too hard for me, though, which may seem ironic considering I beat AKUMU mode in the first game, but. I think Bethesda fibbed about the difficulty settings a little bit. Nightmare in this game feels like Nightmare in the first game, honestly. I've upgraded my health twice, and I still die in two hits. Seb was definitely more resilient in Survival mode in TEW1.

I have been proper spookified in this game a few times now, which is no easy feat. Some of these resonances are fucking scary, and the Marrow freaked me out the first time I stumbled into it just because I had no idea what the fuck it was.

I'm already starting to get open world fatigue, though, so I need to find a way to yank myself out of that.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Postby berto » Oct 13, 2017 3:43 pm

I can't stand the dialogue and performances in this game. They are bad, no other way around it. You can argue that the first game also had bad dialogue and story all you want but it is not the same. That game had personality, this one has fanfiction level writing, it's rushed, shallow and extra cliche with every line feeling as inorganic as a printer. It's like watching a SyFy original movie. From the very beginning, those first line of dialogue were just awful. Comparing the intros to both games you can immediately tell which has the better dialogue. The most clear example I can think of, from what I've played so far (Just started Ch. 4) is the flash back where Lily's doll breaks and Mayra asks Seb if he's ok; his response is the most uninspired, obvious and dilapidated line of dialogue they could've gone with. I can't complain about it enough because the biggest victim of the awful writing was Tatiana, who was a favorite of mine. Here she looks bored... and that is it. She had an otherworldly presence to her, something almost ethereal, in the first game, a ghostly and mysterious presence, but now, her entire attitude is the definition of disinterested. They completely bodged her and what made the room interesting. From the previews I knew this was the case but I hopped to be wrong.

As much as I'm shitting on the dialogue, though, I am really enjoying the game. I didn't think it would but having a small open area and side missions really agrees with the game. Some of the best parts of 1 were the areas you could go look around in and making that a bigger part of the game was actually a good addition.

The shoot gun has a specially satisfying boom to it and the shooting gallery is kind of a frustrating blast. I don't know why there are so many instances where I know I shot a motherfucker but the bullet doesn't make contact, that's frustrating.

Aside from what I already said there are some issues I have whit the overall game, like how the game is scary when it's scary but when it's not it's not and that's really more often than I care for. Also, the odd saving system where you are kind of left at the mercy of when ever the game chooses to save while in the field. I've had to repeat so many things, like clearing out areas or picking up things, just because the game didn't save since god knows how long ago. It's made it so I don't wonder around too much or venture to explore without running back to a safe house to save. Also, in the original going from place to place with almost no rhyme or reason made the game feel chaotic and abrasive. It was all those things but it also felt purposeful. Here, thought, when they do that it really feels disjointed and even poorly written. Lastly, that animation and character models. They all look and feel less than the original. I saw a picture of Juli from 1 and another of her from 2 and that pretty much sums it up.

From the previews I also got the sense that the environments were not going to be as memorable as 1's, like the sewers, the village, the house, the asylum or the layer of the Boxman but that art house at the beginning was actually really fucking interesting, and while the streets of Union are as bland town USA as they get the indoors are far more interesting.

I was also worried that they were turning this in to the every game with the crafting and crafting bench, the scavenging, open world,, side quests, optional stealth and so on. That describes so many games it's become the equivalent of a cliché, but it's actually not as cumbersome as I thought it would be. It actually gave the game some good padding and makes looking around feel purposeful.

The combat is also much improved. It feels less rigid and a bit more fair. Stealth kill animations are also a nice improvement, nothing wrong with the original's but an added flair now and then doesn't hurt. Wish they didn't last so long every time but I guess it's not so bad.

So far it's a good time. I'm only a few hours in but I'm actually really enjoying it. Overall it's a better experience than the first. Not in every way but still a pretty good game.
Last edited by berto on Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Dream Makers and we are the Dreamers of the Dream
berto

Favorite Title: Shadows/Damned
PSN: Humberto_Ugalde
XBL: EsteNoEsGringo

Postby Autoignition » Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm

@berto you hit the nail on the head for how I feel about this game so far, as well. Not a single thing in your post would I disagree with. And I write fanfiction. But this is the kind of fanfiction-y writing that gives fanfiction a bad name.

And not for nothing, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've written very similar scenes that are now three years old (Seb trying to fight his way into his own burning home, Seb getting attacked by Mobius agents at a bar), and the shit I wrote was leaps and bounds better than the schlock in the game.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak