Anyone bothered by this?

(Discuss the game)

Anyone bothered by this?

Postby SteeLisPain7 » May 14, 2013 8:20 am

the game automatically change the animations depending on the situation, ala Uncharted.

This is Tanzen's quote regarding the game animation, I remember reading in a previous post that Sebastian would also crawl, run and walk depending on the situation, for me personally...I don't like this...

I mean, I really prefer to have full control over my character's action and DECIDE which course of action to take depending on the situation; for me, having the animation changing automatically takes away from the survival horror experience since I will know what to do once the animation change.

Sometimes not knowing what to do is a certain situation when it first happens can be very scary and adds to the experience.

I think I might be the only one in here who's bothered by it, but let me know what you think :)
SteeLisPain7

Re: Anyone bothered by this?

Postby Rikitatsu » May 14, 2013 8:38 am

SteeLisPain7 wrote:
the game automatically change the animations depending on the situation, ala Uncharted.

This is Tanzen's quote regarding the game animation, I remember reading in a previous post that Sebastian would also crawl, run and walk depending on the situation, for me personally...I don't like this...

I mean, I really prefer to have full control over my character's action and DECIDE which course of action to take depending on the situation; for me, having the animation changing automatically takes away from the survival horror experience since I will know what to do once the animation change.

Sometimes not knowing what to do is a certain situation when it first happens can be very scary and adds to the experience.

I think I might be the only one in here who's bothered by it, but let me know what you think :)

From what I can understand, you can run, crouch, and walk whenever you want. Its just the animations that changes, like Sebastian appearing more cautious.

I can understand why you would be bothered it though... But I think it will only happen in certain situations like when Leon approached the village the first time in RE, and won't ruin sudden scares/surprises...At least thats what I hope.
Rikitatsu

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » May 14, 2013 8:39 am

I am a bit as well mainly because I loved examining everything so I can get the rewarding feeling of discovering alternate routes (Biohazard Outbreak was littered with rather hidden but logical passageways) but I am guessing they are doing this to keep the game at a constant flow especially during chase scenarios (which may have led QTE's as you change transitions)

Then again, I don't think it's going to be used during encounters but I can picture this during the game's slow moments where you take in the lay of the land.
Last edited by Kyosuke_Sanada on May 14, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby SteeLisPain7 » May 14, 2013 8:40 am

That's what I am hoping for, I kinda hate it when the game suddenly changes the controls to "Emphasize" something, like during Leon's story in RE6 when the game forces you to walk by locking the controls, I'd prefer the game to scare and get me to walk slowly by my own will, not locking the controls because that way I can tell that there is a scripted scene and it's usually a heads up for what's ahead and it ruins the scare for me
SteeLisPain7

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » May 14, 2013 8:46 am

That was the main thing that kept me from fully enjoying the game as well. Under the hood is a marvel because of course of the graphics and the realistic movements (I liked how you would almost trip when sprinting over a body or how the character can spring of a wall for momentum if you sprinted into one by mistake.) but what the use putting that much effort into animation when the player locked into a certain pose or hit by an unavoidable obstacle.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby SteeLisPain7 » May 14, 2013 8:56 am

Kyosuke_Sanada wrote:That was the main thing that kept me from fully enjoying the game as well. Under the hood is a marvel because of course of the graphics and the realistic movements (I liked how you would almost trip when sprinting over a body or how the character can spring of a wall for momentum if you sprinted into one by mistake.) but what the use putting that much effort into animation when the player locked into a certain pose or hit by an unavoidable obstacle.

Yeah, Full control is the key, The old Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games knew how to take advantage of the gameplay without changing the animation at all, because stuff may happen or change or something would pop up without you expecting it because the animation gave no indication of something changing and that preserved the element of shock for the player, forcing you to walk slowly by your own will because you couldn't anticipate what is going to appear next and at what corner.

So simply put, having certain kinds of "Warning animation change" as I'd like to call them, ruins the scare because that way the player has already known that something is going to happen and has already prepared themselves for it
SteeLisPain7

Postby Rikitatsu » May 14, 2013 9:15 am

How about this, Sebastian enters "alert mode" when the enemy is in the field of view...This way it should remove the Sixth Sense effect that may ruin sudden scares.

That would be a good solution.
Rikitatsu

Postby SteeLisPain7 » May 14, 2013 9:17 am

Rikitatsu wrote:How about this, Sebastian enters "alert mode" when the enemy is in the field of view...This way it should remove the Sixth Sense effect that may ruin sudden scares.

That would be a good solution.

That might work, even though I still prefer to have full control regardless of the situation lol
SteeLisPain7

Postby Yama » May 14, 2013 10:53 am

I fully understand your concerns and I too like full control, though I'm not worried at all and here's why:

• The change of an animation isn't going to take away our control, it'll simply add to the mood. Think Demento. If there is any form of control detraction it'll be completely intended and make sense, similar to a status ailment of sorts. I have no issue with something like this if it's reflective of a certain scene, etc.

• It won't act as radar, I can just about guarantee this. If we're walking down a hallway and something bursts out, it'll scare us. Perhaps then and only then will Sebastian enter a panicked state. The team understands what needs to be done as has been shown on many occasions now, this wouldn't go unnoticed.

• It's a true Mikami title, he's the master of gameplay and control. Never in one of his games did you unintentionally loose control due to poor design decisions.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby PanamaRed » May 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Shinji Mikami knows what he is doing. As Yama already said he has become a master of gameplay and if he is doing this it is for a reason. I think we should wait to see the actual game in motion before making this kind of judgement.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak