Backtracking

(Discuss the game)

Backtracking

Postby Yama » May 16, 2013 11:06 am

The more we here about a hub, the chances of having a larger area with backtracking diminish some, but not entirely. How do you feel about the element? I personally love the idea of not being 'pushed' forward constantly, it allows for gratifying exploration. I enjoy seeing a locked door or two only to wonder what could be inside and later on returning. It also allows for many more legitimate scares. Nothing worse than going through an empty corridor only to come back and be startled by a change in the environment. Even with a hub, various locations could prove to be big enough to do this sort of thing and I'd love to see it.

Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Re: Backtracking

Postby Rikitatsu » May 16, 2013 11:16 am

I love backtracking in the vein of the old REs.
The fact that you will return to the asylum more than once ensures that there will be exploration within the huge asylum at least.

However, it seems that most areas will follow similar design of RE4, a Bethesda rep said:

It's definitely not an Elder Scrolls-like open world game. Like other games from Mikami (like RE 4), there's exploration of large areas
Rikitatsu

Postby SteeLisPain7 » May 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Would be great if we could have the element of backtracking.

That element really helps in making the scenery much more memorable, Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 and Resident Evil Remake are a prime example of that
SteeLisPain7

Postby Cyberote » May 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I'd love to have backtracking. I'm sick of games these days being as straight as a line. Where's the fun in following a straight path all the time? It's like half the game is being played for you.

The original RE games showed no mercy. Right at the beginning, there were locked doors everywhere. RE3 might've been the worst. They gave you this huge city area to run around which required you to constantly backtrack.
Cyberote

Postby Saint Ste7en » May 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I love backtracking in the vein of the old REs.
The fact that you will return to the asylum more than once ensures that there will be exploration within the huge asylum at least.

However, it seems that most areas will follow similar design of RE4, a Bethesda rep said:
It's definitely not an Elder Scrolls-like open world game. Like other games from Mikami (like RE 4), there's exploration of large areas

I found the backtracking in the classic Resident Evil games (aside from Resident Evil 0) to be obnoxious. I wasn't backtracking from one place to another, but from wherever I was to the nearest item box and back. The backtracking wasn't exploration as much as it was just going back to the item box to put something away or grab an essential item.

But, the kind of backtracking in Resident Evil 4 was good. Personally, I think it compliments the over-the-shoulder camera. It had pathways for progress, but there was still much to explore and "exploration" is one of the words I like to hear when describing survival horror games. I don't know how you can say that's similar to a HUB, though...
Saint Ste7en
Big mouth

Favorite Title: Haunting Ground

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak