What you, the community, likes about the game so far

(Discuss the game)

What you, the community, likes about the game so far

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 02, 2013 3:10 am

I WANT to like The Evil Within. I was looking forward to the return of survival horror from the creator of a few of my favorite survival horror series, Shinji Mikami. But with what were currently shown, I'm just not feeling it. I wish we got more of the visuals seen in the Zwei teaser image...I know, Mr. Mikami explicitly said what was in that teaser wouldn't be what was exactly in the game...but when I saw the hospital-like asylum in the screenshots...I was let down. It feels overdone in survival horror games and made me think they're trying to mix the Silent Hill series with Resident Evil to make the ultimate survival horror game...while there's nothing wrong with that, I wish we could've seen something along the lines of a castle (DMC1's castle is legendary, one of the chief reasons why I replay that often). I guess with the hallucination mechanics, it could be possible for Sebastian to imagine such scenarios which take place there.

I'm still interested in the project...but it's on life support. News about the game could swing me back, and I hope it will. Ever since my interest for the game began to decline (it was around E3, when the first video gameplay feed was shown), I haven't used the forums here as much...but I want to participate here again.

So, I would like for the community, you guys, to tell me what specifically hooked you to The Evil Within.
I would like to start off by saying that for me, what hooked me to The Evil Within initially was that Shinji Mikami headed the project. Also, that the project was specifically meant to be a return to true survival horror.

Then, if there are others like me who lost interest in the title, to tell me what it was that made them lose interest.
For me, it was when I saw the gameplay feed from around E3, when I saw the hospital-like environment and the HUD.
ProgenitorCastle

Re: What you, the community, likes about the game so far

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 02, 2013 1:36 pm

I loved Resident Evil 4, Vanquish, and other Mikami titles. Naturally I'd be excited about The Evil Within, an All-Stars team is working on it with Mikami on the helm... I honestly don't mind much if it wasn't horror, I value Atmosphere most. And from what I've seen, it delivers on that.

I'm not worried about the locations, have you seen these concept arts? I'm sure the Asylum acts as a nexus to variety of different locations like Mansions and Castles, etc...

P.S: Go see the leaked QuakeCon footage in the news section, looks fantastic!
Rikitatsu

Postby DampRevil » Aug 02, 2013 3:53 pm

I first got hooked on The Evil Within when it was known as Project Zwei. I saw the concept art and was immediately attached. I just got a very sad/nostalgic vibe. All of that carried over when it was officially revealed as The Evil Within. The teaser trailer was everything I was hoping for when it came to direction. I loved the barbed wire, the tools Sebastian's using, the creatures, the environments, and the overall panic that the trailer was trying to portray. The game brings back a lot of nostalgia from games like Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3, which may also be a big part in why I like the game so much. The fact that it's Survival Horror is also a big deal to me. If the game wasn't Survival Horror, I probably wouldn't have payed it that much attention.

Then there's other things like characters, the antique weapons, the song we hear from the trailer and E3 gameplay, and other things that just add to the Survival Horror aspect.

In the end, you have to make the decision yourself. Input from others is nice, but that might not change your mind. You can't force yourself to like a game if you're losing interest in it. TGS is also next month, and from what I know, they're releasing a real trailer for the game. That may help influence your decision!
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Aug 02, 2013 7:29 pm

@Rikitatsu

WHOA. That 1st Vine vid HIT THE SPOT. Creepy paintings, indoor environment. Good thing that got leaked, it looks like some of the concept arts you showed me.

@ DampRevil

True...it's ultimately my choice in the end. My choice...seems to lean towards the game now. It's just been a while since new content (not counting today's of course), and with my previously waning interest in the game, lost touch with the community, so I wanted to talk to you guys again.

I'm glad to let you guys know with today's Vine vids, I'm back as a full-time The Evil Within fan.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby DampRevil » Aug 03, 2013 8:20 am

ProgenitorCastle wrote:
@ DampRevil

True...it's ultimately my choice in the end. My choice...seems to lean towards the game now. It's just been a while since new content (not counting today's of course), and with my previously waning interest in the game, lost touch with the community, so I wanted to talk to you guys again.

I'm glad to let you guys know with today's Vine vids, I'm back as a full-time The Evil Within fan.

Glad to hear that! Information on this game is pretty scarce, I don't know why they're being so secretive with this game :P
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby Yama » Aug 12, 2013 1:54 pm

We still haven't had a proper showing and have saw maybe a tenth of a percent of the game. To anyone skeptical, remember that. Play the game or at least see some meaty direct feed trailers first. It's just too early to be down on the game, plain and simple.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak