How many enemies will we encounter in the game?

(Discuss the game)

How many enemies will we encounter in the game?

Postby TheKillingJoke » Aug 16, 2013 2:55 pm

First of all, I highly anticipate this game and it's been a very long time since I did that for a horror game. For one, I am intrigued by the creature designs they've shown us so far. Villains can make or break everything that has to do with horror: books, movies and games alike. The question is, how many different types of enemies will we encounter in this game?
We already have (for the lack of better descriptions) Leatherface, Pyramid Head, Sadako, Zombies, Ganados and that ghostlike Giallo-killer on the security cameras. Will Mikami have some more surprises for us? There is room for some more types of enemies, as long as they don't go overboard with it. Having the ridiculous amount of different types of enemies Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 have ( RE 6 had about 25 different creatures, talk about overkill) will just make it more of an action game. The original RE and REmake as well as Silent Hill 2 had about 10-12 different enemies, bosses included. Perfect.
TheKillingJoke

Favorite Title: REmake

Re: How many enemies will we encounter in the game?

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 16, 2013 4:36 pm

I think I've heard that there will be a lot of enemy types, but I don't see that as a concern, in fact, I welcome it, I don't think it will make the game more of an action game. It's all about the encounter design, some enemies might not be "regular" enemies, aka you won't fight them on regular bases, but in certain levels/locations. One of the enemies in the game is invisible, but you can hear him (Kind of like the Water Monster in Amnesia), these kind of different enemies will give the gameplay a lot of variety and not necessarily action-ize it.

One thing I'm liking so far, is that there seem to be Nemesis-type enemies, you won't kill the Chainsaw Butcher on your first encounter, you will have to face him again later in the game.

Also, Re-Bone Laura:

It would seem that your first encounter with her won't be the last, one of the artworks shows Sebastian fighting her off in what seems to be Sewers

I like this, because it means there will be a lot of overwhelming enemies that makes you want to flee from them instead of fighting, like the Nemesis, Tyrant, etc...

Also, they didn't show the poster boy in action yet (Boxman). He sure looks like a badass. :P
Rikitatsu

Re: How many enemies will we encounter in the game?

Postby TheKillingJoke » Aug 17, 2013 7:20 am

It certainly shouldn't be an issue. Like I said before: it's all in the execution. I've heard some people complain that the creatures that have already been shown to us kind of rip-off existing horror legends: The Butcher is said to be a Leatherface-clone, Re-Bone Laura is a Resident Evilized Sadako, Boxman is a Lovecraftian Pyramid Head, the second type of zombies look and behave like Ganados and the ghostlike man looks like those Argento giallo killers from the 70s.
While I can definitely see the similarities, to me this isn't an issue. I literally grew up with three types of genres: the Mafia genre, the Horror genre and the Western genre. The enemy designs reminding me of some of the horror entities I grew up with, bring back that specific sense of familiarity I absolutely love within modern horror. I don't see them as 'borrowings', but more as 'homages'. Thus far I loved most enemy designs. The first type of zombies for instance remind me of those European zombies from the 70s to the 80s (Lucio Fulci comes to mind). They move in that same slow, rotting and flesh-hungry way.
One thing I'm not so sure of are the second type of zombies (the seemingly Ganado-like enemies). They looked a bit cheesy in the cover art, but they might as well work in the game of course. They are described as far more agile, wearing weapons and they probably have a special ability in contrast with the normal type of zombies. Only time will tell.
TheKillingJoke

Favorite Title: REmake

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak