Reading Books and Puzzles?

(Discuss the game)

Reading Books and Puzzles?

Postby ghostcall » Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm

in RE games you had to read notebooks to help you solve puzzles and explain hidden events that occurred in the game.

will there be same thing with TEW?

also will there be mind challenging Puzzles to solve too?
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: Reading Books and Puzzles?

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm

I don't know about reading files or notebooks...

But I asked someone who went to QuakeCon'13 to inquire about the Puzzles in the game, after asking a Bethesda employee, he told me this:

Puzzles are more reliant on using items to sneak past enemies. Not so much like old school survival horror games.

Note: Don't take this as a confirmation, I have no idea who this Bethesda employee is... But its best to temper our expectations.

It's kind of disappointing (Although I never expected it to have a lot of puzzles), but what can you do? C'est la vie...
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I don't know about reading files or notebooks...

But I asked someone who went to QuakeCon'13 to inquire about the Puzzles in the game, after asking a Bethesda employee, he told me this:

Puzzles are more reliant on using items to sneak past enemies. Not so much like old school survival horror games.

Note: Don't take this as a confirmation, I have no idea who this Bethesda employee is... But its best to temper our expectations.

It's kind of disappointing (Although I never expected it to have a lot of puzzles), but what can you do? C'est la vie...

ahh....

at least i hope we can read files at least.

good thing of the demo it confirms that that ammo/health packs are limited and scattered .

but at least there are boss fights in the game.
ghostcall

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't think the game WON'T have any puzzles, because Bethesda once said that the game does contain some. I think they're gonna be few... like RE4.

Which I'm okay with, but I know it will upset it a lot of people.
Rikitatsu

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Oct 01, 2013 9:14 pm

I am little upset by this because puzzles not only gave an opportunity to stretch the user's brain but it's usually used as a great device to churn out the finer details of a story. Don't get me wrong, I do love cut scenes but things tend to tend to stick more when actual interaction is involved.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 02, 2013 3:01 pm

^I assume these Sneaking Past Enemies "Puzzles" should also stretch the user's brain, it doesn't have to be about matching pictures or finding passcodes.

Doing X thing to lure Z monster from Y entrance so you can proceed, it should be good as long as it's not painfully obvious and hand-hold-y.

EDIT: I just remembered Mikami once answered a question regarding Puzzles, just in Japanese, so I have no idea what it says exactly:

――というと、ホラー性の高いシーンでは、アクションばかりではなく、謎解きやパズルのようなものもあるわけですか?

三上氏: あまりたくさんはありませんが用意されています。僕自身パズルはそんなに好きではないのですが。

If you trust Google Translation (You really shouldn't!):

- If you say, in the scene of horror high, not only action, like a puzzle and solve mystery do you mean there?

Mr. Mikami: not too many, but you are available. Although I do not like so much my own puzzle.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Oct 03, 2013 10:54 am

Rikitatsu wrote:^I assume these Sneaking Past Enemies "Puzzles" should also stretch the user's brain, it doesn't have to be about matching pictures or finding passcodes.

Doing X thing to lure Z monster from Y entrance so you can proceed, it should be good as long as it's not painfully obvious and hand-hold-y.

EDIT: I just remembered Mikami once answered a question regarding Puzzles, just in Japanese, so I have no idea what it says exactly:

- If you say, in the scene of horror high, not only action, like a puzzle and solve mystery do you mean there?

Mr. Mikami: not too many, but you are available. Although I do not like so much my own puzzle.

but you are available.

:lol:
ghostcall

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Oct 05, 2013 9:29 am

Rikitatsu wrote:^I assume these Sneaking Past Enemies "Puzzles" should also stretch the user's brain, it doesn't have to be about matching pictures or finding passcodes.

I understand what you are saying. Haunting Ground did a great job of this with the chase scenarios it offered.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby ghostcall » Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm

looks like i got my answer.

We've got some stuff like that in there.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/148021 ... this-game/
ghostcall

Postby Rikitatsu » Dec 11, 2013 1:47 pm

ghostcall wrote:looks like i got my answer.

We've got some stuff like that in there.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/148021 ... this-game/

Good to know!
I expected books/files to be there, I bet it's going to be used to tell the history of the Asylum, since I don't think that can be told within a cutscene.

Also, Bethesda's games have been heavy on Books/Files, even Dishonored.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak