The Evil Within does not offer much?

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within does not offer much?

Postby ghostcall » Oct 04, 2013 10:58 am

i know it way too early to judge the game but i do feel worried/concerned.

do you think the game will succeed like this?

Yes i know it going back to survival horror (much better then RE4) that great and all.

but don't you think the game has little to offer besides linear gameplay?

they seem praise game for it stealth puzzles and enemy AI being unpredictable?

no 2nd playable character like first RE? no modes like mercenary mode? no new feature at all?

don't get me wrong this game is on my "Must Buy" because i am survival horror fan.

but i am worried if the game does not sell well and if does not appeal old school survival horror fans.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: The Evil Within does not offer much?

Postby CandyLander » Oct 04, 2013 11:58 am

All we can do is wait and see. though I think this game will have achievable stuff, alternate endings, harder modes, as well as some kind of secondary gaming mode, so it will have replay value
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 04, 2013 12:58 pm

The game didn't strike me as innovative as soon as I read it's first preview, I don't think it will offer much in terms of innovation. (Even though Mikami thinks the whole "Shifting Environments" is what's going to make this game standout).

That said...

How can a premise of a Scarier RE4 done by Mikami and his All-Star team is not "offering much"? The main reason why I'm excited about this game isn't because of what I've seen from it (Although it looks fantastic) But because of the potential of how the full game will turn out based on the little tidbits I've read on the game and the talented team working on it.

Shinji Mikami has been making games for around 20 years, and literally not one, not even a SINGLE ONE of his games disappointed me gameplay-wise... Even his less popular games like GodHand and Vanquish had been stellar and possibly genre-defining.

The fact that The Evil Within will be a boring, scripted, bloated "AAA" game is simply out of question, as far as I'm concerned.

Now add to the mix other super talented people like Naoki Katakai, who was Art Director on the two most beautiful games around (REMake, Okami) and a whole bunch of people who worked with Mikami on his past games (REMake, RE4, Vanquish, etc...).

It's an exciting prospect... And what I've read from all the interviews and previews about the little details regarding the gamepaly, and what I've seen from Concept Art, Videos, and Screenshots... It's all hitting the right notes with me, and that is: Scarier RE4 with more Survival elements, strategic combat (traps), Stealth, and dynamic environments (morphing)... Now couple that with an absolutely KILLER atmosphere and art direction (from what we've seen from the videos)... And an intriguing story.

That, for me, is already "offering much" as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure lots will be disappointed though, I feel people expecting REMake or RE 3.5 are in for a rude awakening.

And yes, I do believe the game can succeed like this... A lot of games never really brought something new to the table, yet they sold in millions (Case in point: The Last of Us). It just needs to be a great game.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Oct 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:The game didn't strike me as innovative as soon as I read it's first preview, I don't think it will offer much in terms of innovation. (Even though Mikami thinks the whole "Shifting Environments" is what's going to make this game standout).

That said...

How can a premise of a Scarier RE4 done by Mikami and his All-Star team is not "offering much"? The main reason why I'm excited about this game isn't because of what I've seen from it (Although it looks fantastic) But because of the potential of how the full game will turn out based on the little tidbits I've read on the game and the talented team working on it.

Shinji Mikami has been making games for around 20 years, and literally not one, not even a SINGLE ONE of his games disappointed me gameplay-wise... Even his less popular games like GodHand and Vanquish had been stellar and possibly genre-defining.

The fact that The Evil Within will be a boring, scripted, bloated "AAA" game is simply out of question, as far as I'm concerned.

Now add to the mix other super talented people like Naoki Katakai, who was Art Director on the two most beautiful games around (REMake, Okami) and a whole bunch of people who worked with Mikami on his past games (REMake, RE4, Vanquish, etc...).

It's an exciting prospect... And what I've read from all the interviews and previews about the little details regarding the gamepaly, and what I've seen from Concept Art, Videos, and Screenshots... It all hitting the right notes with me, and that is: Scarier RE4 with more Survival elements, strategic combat (traps), Stealth, and dynamic environments (morphing)... Now couple that with an absolutely KILLER atmosphere and art direction (from what we've seen from the videos)... And an intriguing story.

That, for me, is already "offering much" as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure lots will be disappointed though, I feel people expecting REMake or RE 3.5 are in for a rude awakening.

And yes, I do believe the game can succeed like this... A lot of games never really brought something new to the table, yet they sold in millions (Case in point: The Last of Us). It just needs to be a great game.

while last of us sold well.

but a lot people were misinformed into buying the game expecting it to be survival horror which the game wasn't it was action adventure game.

Edit: the game was successful based on dishonesty from reviewers.
ghostcall

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 04, 2013 2:17 pm

^ Okay...but my example still stand. Innovation doesn't always translate to sales, and vice versa. The Evil Within can still succeed without bringing anything new or innovative.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:^ Okay...but my example still stand. Innovation doesn't always translate to sales, and vice versa. The Evil Within can still succeed without bringing anything new or innovative.

but if the game based only "a boring, scripted, bloated "AAA"" single player like you said.

even if the first game was successful and sold well but i won't expect people would be motivated enough to buy the squeal since the game does not give good impression for replay value.

i am seeing most people complain on TEW videos want go back more old school fixed camera angles tank controls exploring etc.

and people are praising RE Revelations because the game is going back more to it roots and it had replay value.
ghostcall

Postby ghostcall » Oct 04, 2013 3:01 pm

ghostcall

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

ghostcall wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:^ Okay...but my example still stand. Innovation doesn't always translate to sales, and vice versa. The Evil Within can still succeed without bringing anything new or innovative.

but if the game based only "a boring, scripted, bloated "AAA"" single player like you said.

even if the first game was successful and sold well but i won't expect people would be motivated enough to buy the squeal since the game does not give good impression for replay value.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make here... I didn't say TEW will be "a boring, scripted, bloated "AAA" game", I said it WON'T be like that...

A great game can sell even if its not innovative... Just as long as TEW is great, and Bethesda work some of its marketing magic, TEW can be a successful franchise.

And I don't understand why you bring up replay value, not much has been said about this except that Mikami designed the game to be played with different play styles to encourage replayabilty.

i am seeing most people complain on TEW videos want go back more old school fixed camera angles tank controls exploring etc.

and people are praising RE Revelations because the game is going back more to it roots and it had replay value.

I've seen the dumbest complaints on TEW, I don't pay this any attention. You can't please everybody... There are the classic RE fans, the modern RE fans, they want this game to be like their favorite games.
I was reading a GAF thread on this game a while ago. Two people were complaining.

1st guy: "Enemies go down fast!!!!! SO MUCH 4 THE PURE SRVIVAL HORHOR, MIKAKAMI!11!!11!!"
2nd guy: "Enemies take too many bullet to kill !!! PSSHT! SPONGE ENEMIES!11!! SO MUCH 4 THE SUCCESSOR OF RE4, MIKAMAMI!11!!1!"
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Oct 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
ghostcall wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make here... I didn't say TEW will be "a boring, scripted, bloated "AAA" game", I said it WON'T be like that...

A great game can sell even if its not innovative... Just as long as TEW is great, and Bethesda work some of its marketing magic, TEW can be a successful franchise.

And I don't understand why you bring up replay value, not much has been said about this except that Mikami designed the game to be played with different play styles to encourage replayabilty.

I've seen the dumbest complaints on TEW, I don't pay this any attention. You can't please everybody... There are the classic RE fans, the modern RE fans, they want this game to be like their favorite games.
I was reading a GAF thread on this game a while ago. Two people were complaining.

1st guy: "Enemies go down fast!!!!! SO MUCH 4 THE PURE SRVIVAL HORHOR, MIKAKAMI!11!!11!!"
2nd guy: "Enemies take too many bullet to kill !!! PSSHT! SPONGE ENEMIES!11!! SO MUCH 4 THE SUCCESSOR OF RE4, MIKAMAMI!11!!1!"

i agree but many complains just depress me.....

now watch the link i posted before how capcom is burning.

:twisted:
ghostcall

Postby Tyrant » Oct 04, 2013 7:39 pm

I think you're over looking something. The stealth element. That alone is ENORMOUS, in terms of gameplay within a surivival horror. All the greatest survival horror games have not used this. So to me that ALONE is a major selling point. REmake, Resident Evil 2, RE4, Dead Space (first one), Silent Hill, etc. No stealth.

Stealth is a major factor in adding realism.
Tyrant

Favorite Title: REmake

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak