The Importance of Traps and Crowd-Control

(Discuss the game)

The Importance of Traps and Crowd-Control

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 05, 2013 5:57 pm

We've all seen the last demonstration where around 10 or more Zombies surround the player in that abandoned cottage. And the player didn't have nearly enough ammo to beat them all using his gun.

It's in situations like these that the importance of traps in the game becomes clear. Enemies are more bullet spongy than RE4, not only you will run out of ammo, but the enemies will quickly surround you from every position. So unless you effectively use traps, you're screwed.

It's HOW to use the traps is what's going to potentially make this part of the game very fun, in my opinion. It will add a whole new and meaty layer of tactics and strategy in the game, and will differentiate it from every other "Horror TPS" out there.

For example, the player in the last demonstration placed those mines under the 2 windows, that wasn't very effective (from a spectator's point of view, at least)... If I was the one playing, I'll have to find "ChokePoints", or a location where a lot of the enemies will be crammed together and place all my traps there so it can take many enemies at once... Like the stairs leading to the basement. Planning like that is probably going to be essential in the game if you want to defeat the enemies, else you will be forced to run away or hide, like the player did in the video.

So far, they revealed the Nails Mine, but they promised that they have a lot different kinds of traps, so I'm interested to see how these different kinds will open up different tactics and strategies, the fact that the Nail Mine is just called "Mine Trap" is making me hopeful the other traps won't just be "Mines", but other unique contraptions. The fact that you can place traps on the floor, walls, or even on enemies backs by sneaking up on them, should also open up a lot of possibilities.

Also, we know that enemies will also place traps... Meaning the levels will be stuffed with these hazards that may kill you if you just sprint around without careful reconnaissance of your surroundings. You can also turn these traps against your foes, like luring a bunch of monsters to fall in their own trap.

Mikami and co. were shouting from the top of their lungs on how Traps are going to be a major feature, not just another part of your inventory. So I'm really hoping they deliver on their promise, because that's what I believe is going to set this game apart from the competition.

The heavy focus on traps remind me of a Playstation classic, a game I loved that rewarded strategic planning and positioning (Although I know TEW won't have similar gameplay, I just wish the focus on traps will be nearly as big)

Rikitatsu

Re: The Importance of Traps and Crowd-Control

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Oct 07, 2013 4:45 pm

I think I know classic you meant, Deception. Very underrated gem which was the first game I have picked up with "Warning: This game has satanic references" written on it. The Deception series kept up until the PlayStation 2 game Trapt which was the spiritual successor but Tecmo never really made another title after that.

Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Kyosuke_Sanada wrote:I think I know classic you meant, Deception. Very underrated gem which was the first game I have picked up with "Warning: This game has satanic references" written on it. The Deception series kept up until the PlayStation 2 game Trapt which was the spiritual successor but Tecmo never really made another title after that.

Yeah, that's the one! Also, they JUST announced a sequel for PS3/Vita coming early next year! :mrgreen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_IV:_Blood_Ties

/Off-Topic.

I just realized that when there are two bodies close to each other, they can be burnt by one match! as evident in the EuroGamer demo (The long, un-cut version). He burned one zombie, and the other dead zombie beside him also got lit.

This could be this game's version of RE4/5's Melee Attacks... Like tripping a bunch of zombies in a corridor by a trap or something, then lighting them up with one match.
Rikitatsu

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Oct 09, 2013 3:54 pm

That's good that you can get away with that so it can reward the the strategic. I was going to ask if you knew the behaviour of defeated enemies when they are not burnt to a crisp/ Will they return twice as lethal but will die for good if defeated again, will they just keep getting up until the player fully destroys them or maybe even both (I think it would be great if both are thrown in Very Hard mode.)
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 10, 2013 1:13 am

It's still a mystery... I'd understand why he'd burn enemies that are still alive (on the ground)... But burning dead enemies? With their head blown to pieces? I don't think they will come back to life without their heads, so I'm not sure why he burned them. Maybe their dead bodies turn into something else after some time. I have no idea...

Also, it's weird how they ignite so fast like that from a match, as if they bathed in Gasoline. :P
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Oct 10, 2013 6:42 am

Rikitatsu wrote:It's still a mystery... I'd understand why he'd burn enemies that are still alive (on the ground)... But burning dead enemies? With their head blown to pieces? I don't think they will come back to life without their heads, so I'm not sure why he burned them. Maybe their dead bodies turn into something else after some time. I have no idea...

Also, it's weird how they ignite so fast like that from a match, as if they bathed in Gasoline. :P

Crimson heads.....
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm

^ Good point! Though the number of enemies in TEW seems way larger, so it would be too troublesome if all of those turned into something as threatening as Crimson Heads. :P

Perhaps something less dangerous... Like this:

Rikitatsu

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Oct 11, 2013 4:20 am

Hopefully not lol. We need more quick, in-your-face enemies to give players a reason to run away or at least think before they engage them. I'm not saying that Psycho Break should be unplayable because of the difficulty but regarding the praise for titles like Demon Souls, this generation is overdue in having games that at least have some learning curve instead of button prompts and overpowering abilities due to adding unnecessary RPG elements.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Postby ghostcall » Oct 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:^ Good point! Though the number of enemies in TEW seems way larger, so it would be too troublesome if all of those turned into something as threatening as Crimson Heads. :P

Perhaps something less dangerous... Like this:

this or that there better be flame thrower. :D
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 12, 2013 3:17 am

This is from an old interview with Masato Kimura (Producer)

GZ: What will set The Evil Within apart from other survival horror games?

MK: The strategic combat, utilizing traps — that will be different from other games

Hopefully that means its going to be as big of an element as I expected!

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/ ... ato-kimura
Rikitatsu

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak