Morphing Environments, not as "scripted" as we thought?

(Discuss the game)

Morphing Environments, not as "scripted" as we thought?

Postby Rikitatsu » Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Reading an old preview/interview, I came across an interesting quote:

*Talking about the part where a river of blood floods Sebastian in the demo*:

Kimura (Producer) said players can expect to see these moments throughout the game, in which the world changes around the player at specific places or moments. Some of these moments will be story-based, occurring at the proper moment in the action, and others will be gameplay-based, requiring the player to remember the locations where one place shifts into another, and return to them to reach different areas.
Full Preview

Okay, that IS pretty damn cool.

It also seems like there are certain gameplay "triggers" to these moments. Take the "River of Blood" moment in the demo for instance. As a player, you're not really "Forced" into going back in the basement after the "Zombies" attacked... I mean, why would you? You just finished exploring it! You're basically done with it. So the player could have got out of the cottage and back into the village, or set a chokepoint with his traps inside the cottage.

What I've read in another interview is that killing all the invading "Zombies" won't trigger the "River of Blood" moment (and the Re-Bone Laura confrontation afterwards). However, if you can't kill them, and escape into the basement, that will trigger the River of Blood transformation.

I admit, I first thought that it was just scripted Set Pieces that only enhance the horror, but it seems like its an integral part of the gameplay and level design where there are consequences for your decisions.
Rikitatsu

Re: Morphing Environments, not as "scripted" as we thought?

Postby DampRevil » Oct 29, 2013 12:42 am

That sounds really cool! I also thought that most of the "triggers" would be scripted, but hearing that they're mostly a result of the players decisions sounds really interesting. It reminds me a bit of Silent Hill: Origins!
DampRevil

Favorite Title: Resident Evil
PSN: DampRevil

Postby ghostcall » Oct 29, 2013 7:40 am

Rikitatsu wrote:Reading an old preview/interview, I came across an interesting quote:

*Talking about the part where a river of blood floods Sebastian in the demo*:

Kimura (Producer) said players can expect to see these moments throughout the game, in which the world changes around the player at specific places or moments. Some of these moments will be story-based, occurring at the proper moment in the action, and others will be gameplay-based, requiring the player to remember the locations where one place shifts into another, and return to them to reach different areas.
Full Preview

Okay, that IS pretty damn cool.

It also seems like there are certain gameplay "triggers" to these moments. Take the "River of Blood" moment in the demo for instance. As a player, you're not really "Forced" into going back in the basement after the "Zombies" attacked... I mean, why would you? You just finished exploring it! You're basically done with it. So the player could have got out of the cottage and back into the village, or set a chokepoint with his traps inside the cottage.

What I've read in another interview is that killing all the invading "Zombies" won't trigger the "River of Blood" moment (and the Re-Bone Laura confrontation afterwards). However, if you can't kill them, and escape into the basement, that will trigger the River of Blood transformation.

I admit, I first thought that it was just scripted Set Pieces that only enhance the horror, but it seems like its an integral part of the gameplay and level design where there are consequences for your decisions.

Looks awesome and promising feature.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Spera01 » Dec 07, 2013 7:06 am

This sounds awesome if true! I hope there's a lot of these "consequences" throughout the game. My favorite part of things like this is comparing my experience to my friend's and talking about the different things we both encountered in our playthroughs. Also offers a bunch of replay value. 8-)
Spera01

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak