Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

(Discuss the game)

Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby ghostcall » Feb 27, 2014 7:17 am

The Evil Within is coming out in August and expectation within the horror gaming fan community is huge for this one. Is it properly scary?


It scares the shit out of me! It's a game that I have to be in a certain state to play. There's only so much of it I can take before I have to stop, because it's genuinely upsetting me or getting to me so much that I have to stop playing for a while. Our brand manager David Clayman is in his office playing it all the time. Every now and then he'll walk out of his office because he needs to go talk to somebody, he's lost a bit of colour in his face, saying "I just need a break". The game is extraordinarily good at what it does. It is a survival horror game that does the survival aspects extremely well, and it does the horror aspects extremely well. You know what you're playing very quickly with this, more so than most of the games we release. I could describe Skyrim to you, but you really need to play it for a few hours to really see it open up and understand what it is. Wolfenstein: The New Order is the same way, like if you play it for five minutes during a shootout that's all you'd think it was, you need to play it for a while to see the bigger story and different elements of it. You play The Evil Within for 45 seconds and you'll know exactly what it is, and that it's very good at it. So we're super excited for this one, I think anybody who has the slightest interest in survival horror is going to find that this scratches an itch that they've had for a long time.

Shinji Mikami created Resident Evil and now The Evil Within and all these memorably horrific and violent game experiences. Is he a nice guy?

Oh yeah, a super nice guy. I know what you're saying, he makes these games and I wonder 'What is wrong with that boy?' The stuff in his head is absolutely terrifying. But he's a very nice guy, very friendly, cordial, seemingly very happy. But you see the games that come from his head and realise he's able to go to a dark place. He really has a good idea of what it takes to scare somebody. You might think it's easy, because everybody knows what is scary, but you try and implement it in a game these days and it's hard. Ten or 15 years ago, seeing somebody graphically get their head cut off or exploded was scary, but now it could be in anything. You can't rely on blood and gore to scare any more. You've got to step it up, have the player so off-balance that even when they're ready to be scared, when they're totally expecting you to jump out and scare them, and yet you manage to scare them anyway. That's a special skill to have and Shinji is very good at it. But it's not just Shinji, it's his whole team that have a very good eye and talent for that, keeping the player off-balance and surprising and scaring them.

As it's a horror game getting quite a lot of buzz at the moment and is also set in an insane asylum, have you played Outlast yet?

I have not. I'm aware of it and it's one I want to get to, but it has to wait for when I'm not travelling and am actually home with some time to spare. There's a pile of stuff I want to play actually.


This is kind of the first time Bethesda has dipped into the survival horror genre, is it something you're keen to expand into further?

Well we had Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth some years back. But Bethesda is into finding people who are very talented and creative and have experience at making really good, AAA quality games and supporting them to do whatever their vision is. So it's not like if Evil Within is a success we'll do more survival horror games. If something fits the team that we find and the game we want to make, then that's what we should do. We want to have them do whatever they're best at. I think that will continue to be our approach, our mantra. If Shinji said he wanted to make a car racing game, that's not something he's really done or had any experience in. But when he says he wants to make a survival horror game, even though that's not something we're known for, who cares? That's what he's known for and players won't evaluate Evil Within based on us, but the guy who is making it.


http://www.3news.co.nz/Pete-Hines-on-Wo ... fault.aspx
User avatar
ghostcall
 
Posts: 515
Joined: September 2013
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 27, 2014 12:31 pm

First time I watched the gameplay demo on the Livestream I was genuinely terrified, it felt very tense. I have no doubt the game will be very scary.

I just wish they'd show more of the combat, especially traps. Because I assume that would be the meat of the gameplay.
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 201 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Morir es vivir » Feb 27, 2014 4:22 pm

After reading, i'm getting really, really, really excited.
User avatar
Morir es vivir
 
Posts: 235
Joined: June 2013
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Nemesis85 » Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Rikitatsu wrote:First time I watched the gameplay demo on the Livestream I was genuinely terrified, it felt very tense. I have no doubt the game will be very scary.

I just wish they'd show more of the combat, especially traps. Because I assume that would be the meat of the gameplay.


I had the same feeling too, I wish they showed more of the "puzzles", I want to know how similar the adventure part of this game is to classic RE.
User avatar
Nemesis85
 
Posts: 303
Joined: February 2013
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby ghostcall » Mar 01, 2014 10:56 am

Nemesis85 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:First time I watched the gameplay demo on the Livestream I was genuinely terrified, it felt very tense. I have no doubt the game will be very scary.

I just wish they'd show more of the combat, especially traps. Because I assume that would be the meat of the gameplay.


I had the same feeling too, I wish they showed more of the "puzzles", I want to know how similar the adventure part of this game is to classic RE.


i don't think the puzzles will be like classic since it's going more like RE4 map design with some backtracking it.

and of course i could be completely wrong.

but i seriously hope they ditch linear map for more open world game in a sequel.

:D
User avatar
ghostcall
 
Posts: 515
Joined: September 2013
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 02, 2014 2:22 am

If what you said turns out to be true, I am going to be truly disappointed.
User avatar
Nemesis85
 
Posts: 303
Joined: February 2013
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby ghostcall » Mar 02, 2014 8:18 am

Nemesis85 wrote:If what you said turns out to be true, I am going to be truly disappointed.


me too.

but if i were you i would more worry about if there going force the holding hands experience that could possibly ruin the game.
User avatar
ghostcall
 
Posts: 515
Joined: September 2013
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Nemesis85 wrote:If what you said turns out to be true, I am going to be truly disappointed.

ghostcall wrote:me too.

It's a liner game in the vein of RE4, so it's better to set your expectations accordingly.
I just hope that the puzzles will be challenging, unlike RE4.
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 201 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 04, 2014 3:15 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Nemesis85 wrote:If what you said turns out to be true, I am going to be truly disappointed.

ghostcall wrote:me too.

It's a liner game in the vein of RE4, so it's better to set your expectations accordingly.
I just hope that the puzzles will be challenging, unlike RE4.

If it is as you say, than how exactly is this game a Reminiscent of classic RE? If we'd to break down RE classic series, I think we all will agree that the puzzle solving and object finding tasks did play a major role in the creation of authentic Horror- survival games. Anyway, I don't want to undermine the Psycho Break, I just wish Shinji Mikami did include these factors in the package.
User avatar
Nemesis85
 
Posts: 303
Joined: February 2013
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Pete Hines on The Evil Within.

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 04, 2014 9:09 am

Nemesis85 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
Nemesis85 wrote:If what you said turns out to be true, I am going to be truly disappointed.

ghostcall wrote:me too.

It's a liner game in the vein of RE4, so it's better to set your expectations accordingly.
I just hope that the puzzles will be challenging, unlike RE4.

If it is as you say, than how exactly is this game a Reminiscent of classic RE? If we'd to break down RE classic series, I think we all will agree that the puzzle solving and object finding tasks did play a major role in the creation of authentic Horror- survival games. Anyway, I don't want to undermine the Psycho Break, I just wish Shinji Mikami did include these factors in the package.

I don't think Mikami or Tango said this is going to be Reminiscent of Classic RE.
They did say it's a pure survival horror (Which Mikami defines as the balance between Horror and Action).
Image
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Moderator
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: November 2012
Has thanked: 201 times
Been thanked: 245 times


Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests