The Evil Within inspired by Prison.

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within inspired by Prison.

Postby ghostcall » Apr 29, 2014 5:33 am

Just interesting comment by AestheticGamer on youtube.

TEW was inspired by 1988 horror film 'Prison'.

Prison:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cd0rdK3ZK9k/T ... G_6210.png

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/upload ... ovie-5.jpg

Also RE4 was inspired by Spanish horror film Dagon.
''Don't change the product to meet what the market is, stick to what It's meant to be in your own vision, and people who share that vision will eventually come'' -Brian Hong.
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Re: The Evil Within inspired by Prison.

Postby Jocifer666 » Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm

That's a great observation, that looks to be spot on. I've been meaning to watch this movie, so I'll have to take a look at it later to see if there are any other cool potential parallels between the two.

His post is really interesting, so I thought to copy Aesthetic Gamer's youtube post from the CVG Evil Within video page. That way, we can all see and speculate aplenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPbAKwwNqY

"Thank you. I have my suspicions that Evil Within is taking at least some inspiration from the particular film. Firstly, Mikami games always seem to pull from obscure films, as an example, Resident Evil 4 pulled some from the obscure 2000 Spanish horror film, Dagon.

Something Dagon and Prison both have in common is many gamers who watch the film may think that certain scenes of Dagon/Prison would work well for a video game, and this is no coincidence. The director of Prison actually made the film hoping for a video game adaption of the movie as he was a big gamer who loved horror, but the game never happened. However, you can tell some scenes were designed with the idea, "Oh, this might be cool in a video game!" moments.

The Japanese boxart for Prison is the barbed-wire art, and to add on-top of this, the back of the box uses cheesy dialogue, including the phrase, "Psycho Break!", the Japanese name for Evil Within.

And there's a few scenes in the new trailer that are similar to scenes from the movie. Barbed Wire is also featured fairly prominently in Prison.

Also if the Hooded Man is a spirit or someone brought back to life trying to get revenge on the new warden of the hospital for something he did to the Hooded Man, then the plot in that regard is basically the same as Prison. And if thehe has electric powers, then we're golden.And the warden did all of this because he was influenced by an ancient evil that is taking over the mental asylum/prison and making it a living thing, then we'll be going into ripping off territory.

(However, this later part may likely not happen, while Mikami takes inspiration from films, he usually goes in completely different directions with them, and more pulls from a select few scenes that the whole film. In the RE4-Dagon example, the stories couldn't be more different for example, just select scenes, like a group of Spanish-screeching people breaking into a building and then the main character pushing a bookshelf to block the way and jumping out the window, art similar to RE4. Or the character in Dagon who looks like The Merchant. So my suspicions is that the story will be very different, and probably Evil Within is pulling from other sources as well, just Prison is the one that seems most obvious to me"

Sounds quite promising. Renny Harlin is also an action director first and foremost- so him doing a horror movie with high octane action and action protagonists is a very Mikami trait. I've always thought that Mikami has made horror stories with action movie protagonists- so I can definitely see this film potentially influencing him.

Update:

I just finished watching Prison, and it's very interesting. It also gave me some more ideas as to what can await us in TEW.

Prison has numerous interesting jump scares throughout the film, and quite a few revolve around barbed wire bound victims popping up from the ceiling or the floorboards. It may sound stupid on paper, but it's actually quite badass in execution. I wouldn't be surprised if there are jump scares in the game very similar to that- where seemingly dead monsters hanging on barbed wire pop up through the asylum's roof or through the floor or drop down from trees or buildings. It can definitely keep you on your toes, especially if they are spawned randomly each time- as the devs have told us about.

There are also numerous parts in Prison where the title location has inanimate objects become possessed- and these objects then attack all who is nearby in horrific ways. Pipes start moving with a life of their own in a very death trap fashion, before impaling bodies in ways that would make Jigsaw run out of the room. There are other interesting examples too, such as areas around boiler rooms becoming scalding hot- and then they melt anyone in it's vicinity-, electric chairs malfunctioning Electro style, and....I think you get the idea. If TEW does take inspiration from Prison, some of these ideas would make great RE1 style deathtrap puzzles throughout the asylum.

What's also interesting is the fact that the Warden in Prison is actually the main antagonist. He actually framed the demon spirit prisoner while he was still alive and sent him to the electric chair. Remember that odd TEW concept art, where the Doctor from the prologue is smiling sinisterly while smoking a cigar (The doctor that states "it was Ruvick)? http://evilwithin.net/gallery/media.html

That makes me seriously question whether something like that will happen in TEW too- just as aestheticgamer noted above.

On an unrelated note, maybe Event Horizon is also a TEW influence? Look at some of the deleted scenes screen caps, they look mighty familiar. http://io9.com/new-images-suggest-event ... 1161668923

Perhaps the plot borrows from both Event Horizon and Prison?
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby ghostcall » May 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:That's a great observation, that looks to be spot on. I've been meaning to watch this movie, so I'll have to take a look at it later to see if there are any other cool potential parallels between the two.

His post is really interesting, so I thought to copy Aesthetic Gamer's youtube post from the CVG Evil Within video page. That way, we can all see and speculate aplenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPbAKwwNqY

"Thank you. I have my suspicions that Evil Within is taking at least some inspiration from the particular film. Firstly, Mikami games always seem to pull from obscure films, as an example, Resident Evil 4 pulled some from the obscure 2000 Spanish horror film, Dagon.

Something Dagon and Prison both have in common is many gamers who watch the film may think that certain scenes of Dagon/Prison would work well for a video game, and this is no coincidence. The director of Prison actually made the film hoping for a video game adaption of the movie as he was a big gamer who loved horror, but the game never happened. However, you can tell some scenes were designed with the idea, "Oh, this might be cool in a video game!" moments.

The Japanese boxart for Prison is the barbed-wire art, and to add on-top of this, the back of the box uses cheesy dialogue, including the phrase, "Psycho Break!", the Japanese name for Evil Within.

And there's a few scenes in the new trailer that are similar to scenes from the movie. Barbed Wire is also featured fairly prominently in Prison.

Also if the Hooded Man is a spirit or someone brought back to life trying to get revenge on the new warden of the hospital for something he did to the Hooded Man, then the plot in that regard is basically the same as Prison. And if thehe has electric powers, then we're golden.And the warden did all of this because he was influenced by an ancient evil that is taking over the mental asylum/prison and making it a living thing, then we'll be going into ripping off territory.

(However, this later part may likely not happen, while Mikami takes inspiration from films, he usually goes in completely different directions with them, and more pulls from a select few scenes that the whole film. In the RE4-Dagon example, the stories couldn't be more different for example, just select scenes, like a group of Spanish-screeching people breaking into a building and then the main character pushing a bookshelf to block the way and jumping out the window, art similar to RE4. Or the character in Dagon who looks like The Merchant. So my suspicions is that the story will be very different, and probably Evil Within is pulling from other sources as well, just Prison is the one that seems most obvious to me"

Sounds quite promising. Renny Harlin is also an action director first and foremost- so him doing a horror movie with high octane action and action protagonists is a very Mikami trait. I've always thought that Mikami has made horror stories with action movie protagonists- so I can definitely see this film potentially influencing him.

Update:

I just finished watching Prison, and it's very interesting. It also gave me some more ideas as to what can await us in TEW.

Prison has numerous interesting jump scares throughout the film, and quite a few revolve around barbed wire bound victims popping up from the ceiling or the floorboards. It may sound stupid on paper, but it's actually quite badass in execution. I wouldn't be surprised if there are jump scares in the game very similar to that- where seemingly dead monsters hanging on barbed wire pop up through the asylum's roof or through the floor or drop down from trees or buildings. It can definitely keep you on your toes, especially if they are spawned randomly each time- as the devs have told us about.

There are also numerous parts in Prison where the title location has inanimate objects become possessed- and these objects then attack all who is nearby in horrific ways. Pipes start moving with a life of their own in a very death trap fashion, before impaling bodies in ways that would make Jigsaw run out of the room. There are other interesting examples too, such as areas around boiler rooms becoming scalding hot- and then they melt anyone in it's vicinity-, electric chairs malfunctioning Electro style, and....I think you get the idea. If TEW does take inspiration from Prison, some of these ideas would make great RE1 style deathtrap puzzles throughout the asylum.

What's also interesting is the fact that the Warden in Prison is actually the main antagonist. He actually framed the demon spirit prisoner while he was still alive and sent him to the electric chair. Remember that odd TEW concept art, where the Doctor from the prologue is smiling sinisterly while smoking a cigar (The doctor that states "it was Ruvick)? http://evilwithin.net/gallery/media.html

That makes me seriously question whether something like that will happen in TEW too- just as aestheticgamer noted above.

On an unrelated note, maybe Event Horizon is also a TEW influence? Look at some of the deleted scenes screen caps, they look mighty familiar. http://io9.com/new-images-suggest-event ... 1161668923

Perhaps the plot borrows from both Event Horizon and Prison?

shinji does takes from other movies but i think prison have huge influence on the game.
''Don't change the product to meet what the market is, stick to what It's meant to be in your own vision, and people who share that vision will eventually come'' -Brian Hong.
ghostcall

Postby ghostcall » May 02, 2014 3:58 am

Full movie.

phpBB [video]
ghostcall

Postby SlasherJPC » Jun 04, 2014 10:27 am

Awesome stuff in this thread. I've gotta watch that movie now. Thanks!
SlasherJPC

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 2

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak