bethesda are having trouble with young gamers

(Discuss the game)

bethesda are having trouble with young gamers

Postby 4PP » Jun 17, 2014 1:41 am

Bethesda is revealing a lot of the game, including showing the entire beginning at last year's Eurogamer show. This implies a real confidence in the story on Bethesda's part, but there also seems to be a feedback process happening. While chatting with a player experience dev after I'd finished the demo, I learned that they're having issues with players under the age of 25 not connecting to the classic third-person survival horror format. The only horror games they're familiar with are first-person experiences like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. In a shining display of empathy, they apparently don't understand why they should care about horrible things happening to another person. I weep for humanity.

Source: http://www.411mania.com/games/previews/ ... review.htm

as a fan of old surv. horror, this makes me a bit sad,,, :(
4PP

Favorite Title: Silent Hill

Re: bethesda are having trouble with young gamers

Postby ghostcall » Jun 17, 2014 1:47 am

This is interesting news.....
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby Nemesis85 » Jun 17, 2014 3:31 am

well, we all old school horror survival fans started our passion and love for this genre from somewhere, from a particular game, for most of us probably RE. for young people under 25, this game,TEW, can be a starting point for them to like this genre. Everything must start from somewhere.
Nemesis85

Postby Yulia » Jun 17, 2014 4:39 am

Most active gamers here in Russia are younger than 25, and it's annoys me a lot that they complaining about TEW not being new Outlast..
Yulia

Favorite Title: Silent Hill

Postby ghostcall » Jun 17, 2014 6:54 am

Yulia wrote:Most active gamers here in Russia are younger than 25, and it's annoys me a lot that they complaining about TEW not being new Outlast..

It funny.

Because all negative previews from TEW who played have whined about the game does not hold their hands and way too hard for them.

outlast itself is very casual game.
ghostcall

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 17, 2014 7:34 am

ghostcall wrote:This is interesting news.....

Very interesting indeed.

It's something I noticed a lot myself from reading comments on Youtube or other parts of the internet. "Why is this not First Person? Third Person games aren't' scary"... Or "He is hiding in lockers! LOL THEY RIPPED OFF OUTLAST!"...

To be honest, I've never, ever, felt more immersed when I was in a First Person Perspective as opposed to Third Person. It doesn't add to the immersion AT ALL, I still feel like I'm controlling an avatar, the same way I feel when I play Third Person games. There's always going to be a disconnect, IMO... In-fact, the most I've been immersed in a game was Shenmue, and that's a third person game.

I wish younger gamers would go back a bit and check out the games they missed... I love Amnesia as much as the next guy, but it's horror wears thin very quickly, unlike games like REMake and Silent Hill.
Rikitatsu

Postby Gigi » Jun 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I have to agree with Rikitatsu on this one, Outlast wasn't the only game to have the character hide in lockers...Just look at Metal Gear Solid, and that game was out before Outlast was ever made. I have a strange love for horror games and how they leave you with no handicaps, it really takes the "scare" factor out of the game if you know your going to be safe all the time. That's not supposed to be the point of it.

Being 22 and a female, it really makes me laugh at these younger "new generation" players who will lift up their pants whenever playing online like they own the place. But whenever anything like this comes out they claim it's too hard because "it's too dark" or "omg this game is stupid, I can't get passed this guy" ..."this game is too scary it made me wet my pants"

Ok that last one was made up, but ya never know.
Gigi

XBL: Guadogirl

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak