The Evil Within and Resident Evil

(Discuss the game)

The Evil Within and Resident Evil

Postby Jocifer666 » Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm

It goes without saying that TEW shares many similarities with the RE games of old we know and love. Their names are even similar. So, I thought to create this thread- in hopes that finding parallels between the two will help us unravel the mystery of TEW's story. I'm mostly focusing on plot similarities, but any similarities can be discussed here. Those who do not want to be spoiled might want to look away.

The Obvious nods:

-When Valerio attacks Sebastian, his reaction is almost identical to the first Ganado's reaction in Resi 4.

- During the part when Sebastian walks through the mansion, childish laughter is heard that sounds almost exactly like Alfred Ashford's laugh....Except it's creepier.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq6Bl65J0nE

- The upgrade system logo looks remarkably similar to Umbrella's symbol.

- Ruvick shares remarkably similar powers to Wesker.
- whenever Ruvick appears, parts of the environment turn blue, like RE 3.5 and the Hookman.
- In REmake and RE 96, police officers are called to investigate a disturbance at Spencer Mansion. In TEW, police officers are called to investigate one at a mental hospital.
- Both Resi and TEW have hilariously idiosyncratic dialogue, though TEW's dialogue seems a tad more naturally integrated than RE's.....So there probably won't be anything as gloriously bad as the Jill sandwich quip.
- Later portions of TEW take place in a destroyed city, like RE 2 and 3.
- Rebone Laura and Ruvick are unkillable, just like Nemesis.
- The mansion looks very similar to Spencer Mansion.
-Both have themes of body horror and transformation and mutilation.
-In the PAX trailer, where the faceless patients sees Sebastian and slowly turns around, it's movement is identical to the first zombie in REmake/ RE 1.
-In the opening of the game, Sebastian wears a jacket. He loses it shortly after and spends the rest of the game without it, presumably. This is similar to what happens to Leon and his jacket in RE4.

Plot Predictions:

- This preview mentions how a young Ruvick killed his family and experimented on them, which sounds like a serial killer version of the Ashford family's plight. Like the Ashfords, perhaps all of the family members are now monsters, as we've been speculating for some time. http://www.godisageek.com/2014/06/the-e ... n-preview/

Another preview I can't locate mentions that Doctor Jimenez states "all the sciences hold power over mankind,", during a ghostly mansion flashback. This sounds very similar to Umbrella and Spencer's goal in the classic RE games- and it highly implies that science is the cause of the monsters, instead of supernatural means.

- E3 2014 previews mention how Doctor Jimenez helps you in Chapter 4- and seems to turn on you in Chapter 8. There are also previews elaborating on how Dr. Jimenez is seen with child Ruvick in the flashbacks. I'm guessing he'll be the game's Wesker- and he'll help you earlier in the game.....Only to turn on you later, perhaps after you discover his true motive?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/27/the-evil- ... c-4741324/

-I highly believe that Sebastian is infected in some way, and that the plot is highly influenced by RE 3.5. The Ruvick creepy blue light confirms that, as does this post for Bethesda's forums.

"RE3.5 was going to be about hallucinations."

Gstaff's response:
Sorry, which game is this? Something that got scrapped in favor of Nemesis? I knew that RE4 has a 2-3 variations, but I didn't realize that was also the case with RE3.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/149955 ... dent-evil/

This rather evasive Gstaff attempt at "playing dumb" makes me think that TEW is taking inspiration from RE 3.5, but they don't want to reveal that yet.....Perhaps it's too spoilerish too soon?

- I wouldn't be surprised if Ruvick transforms over the course of the game, Nemesis style, as will The Keeper and Rebone Laura.

-I also wouldn't be surprised if Sebastian gets a strange growth on his arm, which will cause his arm to mutate later in the game, RE 3.5 style. The PAX trailer loosely hinted at a metal growth on his arm- though it was likely a glitch. The allusion was interesting, though.

-The end of the game may take place in a laboratory style setting.

Differences:

- TEW looks considerably darker than any RE game, as it's tone seems much bleaker, it has a higher gore factor, and a larger emphasis on torture.

-There does seem to be psychological undertones, which also make the game more in line with the Silent Hill franchise.

-There also seems to be supernatural undertones, which no finished RE games had.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Re: The Evil Within and Resident Evil

Postby Nemesis85 » Jun 19, 2014 12:15 am

I wanted to be part of this thread but when you said: "Those who do not want to be spoiled might want to look away." I decided to not read the rest.
Nemesis85

Postby Jocifer666 » Jun 19, 2014 1:46 am

Free to join now! I hid the most spoiler filled parts under a spoiler tag.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Postby Terra2500 » Jun 19, 2014 4:30 am

Jocifer666 wrote:Free to join now! I hid the most spoiler filled parts under a spoiler tag.

I'm in! :D I love spoilers
When someone is miserable, they will need someone who is more miserable than them - Sebastian to Delsin (Crossover fic)
Terra2500

Favorite Title: Assassin Creed

Postby ghostcall » Jun 19, 2014 6:10 am

I get zero thanks for this. :P
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby TheKillingJoke » Jun 19, 2014 6:16 am

That scene with
that doctor Valerio guy
was actually pretty dark and disturbing. So far I've seen some really good stuff, but I hope they've saved their best, most surprising and creative bits for the actual game itself. One thing is for sure: it certainly looks like it's going to be one of the goriest games in ages, balancing on a fine line between splatter and the more gruesome realistic violence.
TheKillingJoke

Favorite Title: REmake

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 19, 2014 7:45 am

Jocifer666 wrote:

"Maximum Sprint Time: 2.5s"
LOL! I bet "critics" who have trouble suspending their disbelief will lynch this game once it comes out.

/Off-Topic.

I'm not surprised that there's a lot of similarties between this and RE 3.5, a lot of Tango's staff are Capcom Prod. Studio 4 veterans, so I can see some of them using those ideas that never saw the light of day.

One thing I've heard a long time ago, but not sure if it was mentioned in the recent hands-on previews. is that when you examine objects, there will be text containing Sebastian's inner monologue, similar to RE games. It was mentioned a year ago in this preview:
http://www.gamefront.com/the-evil-withi ... returns/2/

Hope it's still in the game.
Rikitatsu

Postby ghostcall » Jun 19, 2014 8:02 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Jocifer666 wrote:

"Maximum Sprint Time: 2.5s"
LOL! I bet "critics" who have trouble suspending their disbelief will lynch this game once it comes out.

/Off-Topic.

I'm not surprised that there's a lot of similarties between this and RE 3.5, a lot of Tango's staff are Capcom Prod. Studio 4 veterans, so I can see some of them using those ideas that never saw the light of day.

One thing I've heard a long time ago, but not sure if it was mentioned in the recent hands-on previews. is that when you examine objects, there will be text containing Sebastian's inner monologue, similar to RE games. It was mentioned a year ago in this preview:

just to make sure is the melee damage referring to melee weapons such as knife and axe?

because previewers confirm that melee weapons are back as main weapons.
Last edited by ghostcall on Jun 19, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostcall

Postby Jocifer666 » Jun 19, 2014 12:39 pm

TheKillingJoke wrote:That scene with
that doctor Valerio guy
was actually pretty dark and disturbing. So far I've seen some really good stuff, but I hope they've saved their best, most surprising and creative bits for the actual game itself. One thing is for sure: it certainly looks like it's going to be one of the goriest games in ages, balancing on a fine line between splatter and the more gruesome realistic violence.

It definitely is, and I can imagine that they have much more in store for us. We've only seen, at most, about 2 hours and 30 minutes of the game so far.....If you take into context all of the previews and trailers we've seen. And that's a game that's at least 10 hours long, if not longer, so I'm sure there's much more darkness in store for us :).

Speaking of which, during Sony Playstation's livestream of E3, when they had the preview for TEW's panel, they showed a new clip. I can''t find it anywhere, so if anyone wants to do some digging, it would be greatly appreciated.
Remember the PAX trailer, where Sebastian and Ruvick confront each other in that church like location, and Ruvick lifts Sebastian off the ground? This presumably took place in that same locale, and it had Sebastian confronting both Ruvick and Dr. Jimenez. Behind Ruvick and Jimenez was something covered by a white sheet- it looked like something out of Frankenstein. It was really quite chilling whatever it was, it was by far the most interesting new clip of E3- I think it alluded to a boss fight with a Frankensteinian type monster....I just wish it wasn't a Devil to find it.

Here is the site's link. http://blog.us.playstation.com/

I'm quite certain this still is in the game. E3 previews all but confirmed that Sebastian can pick up charts, newspapers, magazines, and other objects. They didn't overtly say that his inner monologue went off, but they highly implied that it did-which is rather exciting.....The inner monologue is one of my favorite aesthetics of classic survival horror.
Jocifer666

Postby ghostcall » Jun 19, 2014 3:01 pm

The icon look like beacon icon with red color.
ghostcall

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak