Demo of The Evil Within

(Discuss the game)

Demo of The Evil Within

Postby LeonEvil666 » Aug 22, 2014 4:19 am

Anybody know if Bethesda will release a playable demo of the game? A demo that we can download and play. That would be awesome, than we can feel the Control mechanics etc.. And then we have had something to play till the full game releases.
LeonEvil666

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: LeonEvil666

Re: Demo of The Evil Within

Postby Terra2500 » Aug 22, 2014 4:54 am

None they didn't release. They aren't planning to...
When someone is miserable, they will need someone who is more miserable than them - Sebastian to Delsin (Crossover fic)
Terra2500

Favorite Title: Assassin Creed

Postby LeonEvil666 » Aug 22, 2014 5:33 am

Terra2500 wrote:None they didn't release. They aren't planning to...

Have they said why they aren't going to release a demo?
LeonEvil666

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: LeonEvil666

Postby SweetPoison13 » Aug 28, 2014 4:18 am

LeonEvil666 wrote:Anybody know if Bethesda will release a playable demo of the game? A demo that we can download and play. That would be awesome, than we can feel the Control mechanics etc.. And then we have had something to play till the full game releases.

https://twitter.com/TheEvilWithin/statu ... 1510365184

I would have loved to download, play, and replay a demo for The Evil Within until October 14 but it doesn’t look like there are any plans for a demo of this nature. Nothing beats feeling the controls in this video game for yourself but if you would like me to talk about my hands-on experience with this video game at E3 2014 then I would be more than happy to do that. Is there anything in particular that you are curious about?
Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Favorite Title: Silent Hill 2
PSN: SweetPoison13
XBL: SweetPoison13

Postby dan76 » Aug 28, 2014 10:09 am

Well, from the gameplay I've seen I'm not too keen on how Sebastian seems to jog everywhere. Do you hold a button to jog or is it just pressing the analogue stick in any direction.

How tight or "floaty" is the aiming? Did you get to see any options for adjusting the sensitivity of the camera and movement.

I guess these are fairly boring questions, but I can't believe in all the stuff I've read in previews from so called journalists no one has any details about this stuff. It's a game after all and control is all important (to me).
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby SweetPoison13 » Aug 28, 2014 6:56 pm

dan76 wrote:Well, from the gameplay I've seen I'm not too keen on how Sebastian seems to jog everywhere. Do you hold a button to jog or is it just pressing the analogue stick in any direction.

How tight or "floaty" is the aiming? Did you get to see any options for adjusting the sensitivity of the camera and movement.

I guess these are fairly boring questions, but I can't believe in all the stuff I've read in previews from so called journalists no one has any details about this stuff. It's a game after all and control is all important (to me).

I found the analog stick (and the controls in general) to be very fluid and responsive. This had a positive impact on both aiming and character movement for me. I never found the controls to be frustrating or stubborn.

How quickly Sebastian moves around depends on how much force you exert on the analog stick. If you would like to see him jog instead of walk then you push the analog stick “all the way” in a particular direction. There is a clear difference between (a) jogging and (b) running as if your life depended on it. The latter is the action that requires some sort of additional input from the controller. This is also the action that depletes the stamina gauge. I guess this is kind of reminiscent of The Last of Us or Watch Dogs although I really don’t think The Evil Within feels like these video games at all for reasons that I would need to discuss in more detail. I don’t really like to make comparisons like this but there is no denying that some people might find that useful.

I guess I would describe the aiming as tight. Sebastian has a pretty steady arm but the video game doesn’t feel obligated to assist the player with this process from what I can tell. I can imagine this might take some getting used to but I would personally rather have super tight and unassisted controls in a video game than clunky, slow, and unresponsive ones. In my honest opinion, The Evil Within is not “clunky” by any stretch of the imagination. I keep seeing comments like these on YouTube and in other places. I don't think the people making them should be so quick to judge but that is obviously their decision. In my honest opinion, the camera that can be rotated around Sebastian isn’t as “fast” as the camera that players control while aiming a firearm. This is probably by default. It didn't have a negative impact on my experience. Players might only notice this (and nitpick) if they are rotating the camera 360 degrees on a regular basis. This would probably be excessive and unnecessary.

My time with The Evil Within at E3 2014 was limited so I didn’t look at its options. If I learn more about them then I will let you know. It is my hope that this video game, like many other modern video games, allows players to adjust some of the more common settings like aiming sensitivity and movement of the camera but we will probably need to wait until October to see the extent of everything that players can adjust for themselves.

You don’t need to worry about asking me boring questions about The Evil Within. I love this video game and I will be as thorough as I can with some of these details. I can always type up my complete hands-on impressions of this video game but I will be tempted to ramble since there are so many things that I could potentially discuss.
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Postby dan76 » Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds good, though I liked how in RE4/5 you always walked until having to press a button to run. It made me play the game in a more considered way. I guess that's not the norm these days as you have walk, jog and run.

TEW also appears to have the crouch or stealth mode, which I guess alters things again (?). I imagine that no matter how far the analogue stick is pushed you stay in crouch mode.

As I haven't watch many videos, does the camera automatically centre behind you or is it completely free and controllable with the right stick? Also, does pulling back on the left stick make Sebastian step backwards or circle round to face the camera. From the clips I've seen it seems to do both depending on the situation.

Again, technical questions and I'm mainly asking because I'm avoiding anything related to actual situations, story and surprises in the game - and I'm craving new info! Any more impressions are welcome.
dan76

Postby SweetPoison13 » Aug 28, 2014 9:41 pm

dan76 wrote:Thanks for the impressions. Sounds good, though I liked how in RE4/5 you always walked until having to press a button to run. It made me play the game in a more considered way. I guess that's not the norm these days as you have walk, jog and run.

TEW also appears to have the crouch or stealth mode, which I guess alters things again (?). I imagine that no matter how far the analogue stick is pushed you stay in crouch mode.

As I haven't watch many videos, does the camera automatically centre behind you or is it completely free and controllable with the right stick? Also, does pulling back on the left stick make Sebastian step backwards or circle round to face the camera. From the clips I've seen it seems to do both depending on the situation.

Again, technical questions and I'm mainly asking because I'm avoiding anything related to actual situations, story and surprises in the game - and I'm craving new info! Any more impressions are welcome.

I think The Evil Within will still encourage players to think about their decisions and plan out their courses of action. It just might be in different ways that have more to do with the conservation of resources and careful selection of confrontations than the specific position of the protagonist in an area. That is probably still important since I can imagine players will die left and right in this video game but I think the controls give them a bit more freedom and control. While the video game does like to force Sebastian into combat, his movements don’t feel restricted to me (unless he is trapped somewhere or cannot move because of an enemy or the environment). It is nice to know that the controls seem to be on the player's side here.

There is definitely a limit to how quickly Sebastian will move while he is sneaking around. Movement is still pretty responsive though, which means that Sebastian can turn around quickly even if he is in the crouch position. I didn’t spend too much time sneaking around in the demo or seeing what Sebastian could do in the crouch position since I was trying to see as much as possible in the time that I was given.

The camera is completely free and can be controlled with the right analog stick. You can move it around Sebastian as much as you want even if you are in a tight and narrow corridor. If you pull out a firearm and aim it then Sebastian should aim in the direction that you are looking with the camera. Unless the player can reset the camera (I’m not 100% sure about this), there is no “quick camera snapping” from what I can tell.

Pulling back on the left analog stick should make Sebastian circle around (relatively quickly) to face the camera. This assumes the camera is behind him, he is facing forward, and the player is not carefully aiming a firearm at the time. Stepping backwards seems to take place when players are aiming their weapons.
SweetPoison13
Evil Takes Hold

Postby dan76 » Aug 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks again for the impressions. I've got to say it sound similar to RE6 minus the diving about... which isn't so great. The Last of Us seems to be a middle ground where pulling back on the left stick makes Joel step backwards, but the camera is completely free. All this is good to know going into the game (so I'm not throwing the controller down in anger).

... Maybe I should be a bit more adaptable...
dan76

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 29, 2014 9:34 pm

dan76 wrote:Thanks again for the impressions. I've got to say it sound similar to RE6 minus the diving about... which isn't so great. The Last of Us seems to be a middle ground where pulling back on the left stick makes Joel step backwards, but the camera is completely free. .

Curious on why you think TLoU's method is better?
Pulling back on the left analogue stick to make the character turn and run seems much more intuitive. In TLoU if you wanted to run backwards you have to turn the camera around or do a quick turn.

My issues with RE6 were the running speed and the crappy FOV, that made the game somewhat messy to control. But there is nothing wrong with the method they used.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak